The Student Room Group

What's your favourite condiment?

Scroll to see replies

Mayo. Like Ketchup as well. If I have a choice then I do both. Otherwise mayo, depending what it is though.
Original post by matrix123
ooh sweetcorn :gah:

yes. In a sauce. I know. It's fantastic
Original post by Morganblue68

Sweetcorn is horrid:colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chelseadagg3r
preach

poor Fox Corner :console: must be confused :yes:
I don't eat any of those.

I would like to make my own coleslaw with home made mayonnaise, because store bought mayonnaise is made with vegetable oils that are major contributor to inflammation (and a ton of health issues). Unfortunately, it tastes horrible if you make it with olive oil (which is a healther oil choice). So I haven't yet found a solution.

I don't like brown sauce or BBQ sauce (might as well sprinkle sugar directly onto your food).
I like to put wholegrain mustard into salad dressings, but I don't like regular hot mustard. I don't much like heat either, so no sriracha.

As to ketchup... well it tastes fine, but again I see it as basically putting sugar all over your food.

I guess the closest thing like this that I have a fondness for would be something like onion relish, tomato chutney... branston pickle. But I very rarely have these either. They are also unhealthy in terms of sugar, but they are a nice treat once in awhile. For instance cheese and pickle would be my favourite sandwich if I ate sandwiches.

Whaat? :holmes:

It's hard thinking of it in a sauce...:rofl:
Sure it's nice though :tongue:
Original post by Andy98

Posted from TSR Mobile

:gasp: You don't know what's horrid!
Sweetcorn is far from it! :u:
Original post by Andy98

Original post by Matrix123

Sweetcorn is gorgeous, especially in its relish

:gasp: You don't know what's horrid!
Sweetcorn is far from it! :u:

:unimpressed::no:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 108
sriracha hands down!! but it's gotta be the huy fong one. the other brands are irrelevant
Love a cheeky sprinkle of salt.
Do you want to speak with me on skype? I can pay money for it. I want to improve my English level. thanks
Ooh sweetcorn :gah:

:biggrin:

:colondollar:

It certainly is! Ahh cool, I may have to maybe try that one day

Yes way :yep:
Original post by Craghyrax
I don't eat any of those.

I would like to make my own coleslaw with home made mayonnaise, because store bought mayonnaise is made with vegetable oils that are major contributor to inflammation (and a ton of health issues). Unfortunately, it tastes horrible if you make it with olive oil (which is a healther oil choice). So I haven't yet found a solution.

I don't like brown sauce or BBQ sauce (might as well sprinkle sugar directly onto your food).
I like to put wholegrain mustard into salad dressings, but I don't like regular hot mustard. I don't much like heat either, so no sriracha.

As to ketchup... well it tastes fine, but again I see it as basically putting sugar all over your food.

I guess the closest thing like this that I have a fondness for would be something like onion relish, tomato chutney... branston pickle. But I very rarely have these either. They are also unhealthy in terms of sugar, but they are a nice treat once in awhile. For instance cheese and pickle would be my favourite sandwich if I ate sandwiches.

I've seen far too many articles from edgy avacado-instagramming health sites that are pushing forward the virgin coconut oil agenda like it's the solution to every health problem ever and avoiding vegetable oil like the plague. Far too much 'X causes cancer, Y is inflammatory' etc.

Go awn. Slosh in some groundnut oil with those eggs. Decadent mayo right there :sexface:

Don't even get me started on the war against gluten.

Homemade bbq sauce is beautiful, and yes it's sweet and I do like a bit of demerara sugar in there. But the fragrance and complexity of homemade bbq sauce is just lush.
Original post by hezzlington
I've seen far too many articles from edgy avacado-instagramming health sites that are pushing forward the virgin coconut oil agenda like it's the solution to every health problem ever and avoiding vegetable oil like the plague. Far too much 'X causes cancer, Y is inflammatory' etc.

Go awn. Slosh in some groundnut oil with those eggs. Decadent mayo right there :sexface:

Don't even get me started on the war against gluten.

Homemade bbq sauce is beautiful, and yes it's sweet and I do like a bit of demerara sugar in there. But the fragrance and complexity of homemade bbq sauce is just lush.

I get why fads can be annoying, but I've looked into the research (as in, I look at the actual peer reviewed studies, and how they tested it) on those claims and they convinced me :smile: Another issue with vegetable oil is that it is high in omega 6. There's research showing that having a good ratio between omega 3 and omega 6 in our diets is important. Western diets give us a huge surplus of omega 6, which is in grains and cereals... and vegetable fat. So cutting down is generally a good idea, as is consuming more oily fish for omega 3.

Oh and I avoid gluten too :p:

I think coconut oil based mayo would taste horrific. Also I discovered (after doing the Whole30, lol) that I'm intolerant to anything but small amounts of coconut. So that's ruled out for me. But when I'm done with my thesis I mean to try making one with avocado oil, even though it's a bit pricey.

And sorry I've never liked BBQ sauce :yucky:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lychee627
:colondollar:

PRSOM :sigh:

Spoiler

@AndrewSCO would you loook at this?!
Original post by CleverSquirrel
@AndrewSCO would you loook at this?!

Ew none of the above
mustard is a tad generic term. you should specify the type (english, dijon, american, etc).
Original post by AndrewSCO
Ew none of the above

you strange strange child :facepalm:

Quick Reply

Latest