The Student Room Group

Bartlett Architecture Part 2

I decided to post this here and not in 'postgrad' as the people here have more of an indepth knowledge of architecture courses, and it'll just get buried in postgrad.

I'm a recent graduate in architecture and am currently looking into starting my masters either this year or for 2018 entry.

During my first 2 years at uni, i really struggled to find myself and comprehend how serious university actually was. I was the typical arrogant and cynical student who thought he was better than his peers. This ended up backfiring in my face, and I finished my second year with a low 2:2.

During my final year, I met somebody who helped me stay grounded and accept myself for me. I started focussing on progressing myself as a person, getting my priorities right and quit being an ignorant cynic. I ended up getting a first in my final university project and a 2:1 for my dissertation. This however, was not enough to finish on a 2:1 and I ended up finishing my degree with a 2:2.

Since finishing university, I was lucky enough to get a job at a top London architecture firm (think Gherkin), and alongside this help start an interior design company.

Now the reason I'm stating my life story is because, as I would really like to progress onto a Part 2, how likely is it i'll be able to get accepted to a Masters course without a 2:1? Academia is about growing and progressing, the current education system is stifling for creatives.

I've contacted a few courses, many of which won't accept students with a 2:2. However something stuck out to me. The Bartlett accepts people with either a first or second class honours, i contacted their department and they clarified that I would be considered despite my 2:2. I will however be competing against people who have achieved first class honours. I don't feel as though i'm suddenly the best once again, I'm still growing, however I'd love to give it a shot.

Do you know of anybody that has gotten into the Bartlett with a 2:2? Would my practical experience give me the upper hand?

Thanks

TL;DR: I finished my undergrad with a 2:2. Would I be able to get into the Bartlett with this honours, considering my practical experience and eagerness to learn.
(edited 7 years ago)
I assume you are suggesting you've been working at Fosters not Make? (the director of Make actually designed 30 St Mary Axe in his time at Fosters)

I think plenty of universities will in practice consider you despite the 2.2, however you will only get in if you have a strong portfolio. Your experience at Fosters will definately help. You also need to be clear in your personal statement about the grades you got in your final year and how that has allowed you to go on to work for one of the world's most prestigious practices etc. If you've actually just been at Make then that is less impressive but you can still big it up; I assume they've won awards and stuff you can mention.

Essentially if you can write a good personal statement, interview well and have a good portfolio you will have a chance. From experience I can tell you as well that the interviewers at the Bartlett will mostly be interested in your academic work rather practice work so focus on that.
Original post by Farchitect
I assume you are suggesting you've been working at Fosters not Make? (the director of Make actually designed 30 St Mary Axe in his time at Fosters)

I think plenty of universities will in practice consider you despite the 2.2, however you will only get in if you have a strong portfolio. Your experience at Fosters will definately help. You also need to be clear in your personal statement about the grades you got in your final year and how that has allowed you to go on to work for one of the world's most prestigious practices etc. If you've actually just been at Make then that is less impressive but you can still big it up; I assume they've won awards and stuff you can mention.

Essentially if you can write a good personal statement, interview well and have a good portfolio you will have a chance. From experience I can tell you as well that the interviewers at the Bartlett will mostly be interested in your academic work rather practice work so focus on that.

I did indeed mean Fosters.

I did plan on emphasising my portfolio, especially during interview. I just needed clarification that i'm on the right path to actually getting their attention through my application.

Since you're coming from experience, do you have any advice for a portfolio catered especially for the Bartlett? Luckily, their fondness for conceptual ideas and portfolios goes hand-in-hand with my design style. However, I'm drawn ablank as I havn't seen many portfolios people used for their part 2 interview at the Bartlett.

Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by archmastersidk
I did indeed mean Fosters.

I did plan on emphasising my portfolio, especially during interview. I just needed clarification that i'm on the right path to actually getting their attention through my application.

Since you're coming from experience, do you have any advice for a portfolio catered especially for the Bartlett? Luckily, their fondness for conceptual ideas and portfolios goes hand-in-hand with my design style. However, I'm drawn ablank as I havn't seen many portfolios people used for their part 2 interview at the Bartlett.

Thanks

Ultimately just play to your strengths, they recognise that everyone will be coming from schools and places of work with quite different focuses. The portfolio I used was quite different to that which some of my colleagues used. My undergraduate work was relatively down to earth by Bartlett standards, so discussion in the interview focused on architiectural qualities of the design and it's contextual nature. I don't know if they would be as harsh at interview stage as they are in crits, but in crits I've seen plenty of students come a cropper when trying to be highly conceptual or theoretical when it doesn't actually stand up to scrutiny. So just make sure if that is your approach that you are very well read on the ideas. For the interview as well look at the different units which are available to choose and pick one or two which interest you and why, and preferably ones which relate to your current work. Unit 14 probably has most in common with Foster's work. Also bare in mind that almost all the tutors will have worked on prestigious projects or written books and published articles etc. so make sure you get all of that information in your head for the interview so you can flatter whoever it is that is interviewing you.
Ultimately just play to your strengths, they recognise that everyone will be coming from schools and places of work with quite different focuses. The portfolio I used was quite different to that which some of my colleagues used. My undergraduate work was relatively down to earth by Bartlett standards, so discussion in the interview focused on architiectural qualities of the design and it's contextual nature. I don't know if they would be as harsh at interview stage as they are in crits, but in crits I've seen plenty of students come a cropper when trying to be highly conceptual or theoretical when it doesn't actually stand up to scrutiny. So just make sure if that is your approach that you are very well read on the ideas. For the interview as well look at the different units which are available to choose and pick one or two which interest you and why, and preferably ones which relate to your current work. Unit 14 probably has most in common with Foster's work. Also bare in mind that almost all the tutors will have worked on prestigious projects or written books and published articles etc. so make sure you get all of that information in your head for the interview so you can flatter whoever it is that is interviewing you.

I really appreciate your in depth response. Where can I find a list of the Part II tutors? The only one i've really had any interaction with is CJ Lim.
Original post by archmastersidk
I really appreciate your in depth response. Where can I find a list of the Part II tutors? The only one i've really had any interaction with is CJ Lim.

They're all in the catalogue here:

https://issuu.com/bartlettarchucl/docs/thebartlettbook2016-preview

Although beware they do change a bit from year to year. For the very latest check out the course page here:

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/bartlett/architecture/programmes/postgraduate/architecture-arbriba-part-2/units
They're all in the catalogue here:

https://issuu.com/bartlettarchucl/docs/thebartlettbook2016-preview

Although beware they do change a bit from year to year. For the very latest check out the course page here:

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/bartlett/architecture/programmes/postgraduate/architecture-arbriba-part-2/units

I've sent you a PM with some further questions. it would be great if you could answer some of them :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending