The Student Room Group

biology ( please help)

Several diseases are caused by inhaling asbestos fibres. Most of these
diseases result from the build up of these tiny asbestos fibres in the lungs.
One of these diseases is asbestosis. The asbestos fibres are very small and
enter the bronchioles and alveoli. They cause the destruction of phagocytes
and the surrounding lung tissue becomes scarred and fibrous. The fibrous
tissue reduces the elasticity of the lungs and causes the alveolar walls to
thicken. One of the main symptoms of asbestosis is shortness of breath
caused by reduced gas exchange.
People with asbestosis are at a greater risk of developing lung cancer. The time
between exposure to asbestos and the occurrence of lung cancer is 20–30 years.
Use information in the passage and your own knowledge to answer the
following questions.
6 (a) Destruction of phagocytes (lines 4–5) causes the lungs to be more susceptible to
infections. Explain why
Reply 1
Do you know what phagocytes do?

Original post by Qer
Several diseases are caused by inhaling asbestos fibres. Most of these
diseases result from the build up of these tiny asbestos fibres in the lungs.
One of these diseases is asbestosis. The asbestos fibres are very small and
enter the bronchioles and alveoli. They cause the destruction of phagocytes
and the surrounding lung tissue becomes scarred and fibrous. The fibrous
tissue reduces the elasticity of the lungs and causes the alveolar walls to
thicken. One of the main symptoms of asbestosis is shortness of breath
caused by reduced gas exchange.
People with asbestosis are at a greater risk of developing lung cancer. The time
between exposure to asbestos and the occurrence of lung cancer is 20–30 years.
Use information in the passage and your own knowledge to answer the
following questions.
6 (a) Destruction of phagocytes (lines 4–5) causes the lungs to be more susceptible to
infections. Explain why
Reply 2
Original post by h3rmit
Do you know what phagocytes do?

Here ya go those are my notes ImageUploadedByStudent Room1485986059.035049.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by kaffeka
Here ya go those are my notes ImageUploadedByStudent Room1485986059.035049.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

You pretty much have to write out the notes specific to phagocytes for that question, going into detail about how the phagocytes perform phagocytosis to prevent infections if the question is more than two marks
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by h3rmit
You pretty much have to write out the notes specific to phagocytes for that question, going into detail about how the phagocytes perform phagocytosis to prevent infections if the question is more than two marks

i know about phagocytes .but i dont understand question in question he says destruction of phagocytes leads to infection in lungs

i think i am making it complicated but honestly i don't understand question

any one can explain question
Reply 5
Original post by Qer
i know about phagocytes .but i dont understand question in question he says destruction of phagocytes leads to infection in lungs

i think i am making it complicated but honestly i don't understand question

any one can explain question

An infection in the lungs will be the result of pathogens propagating inside the lungs and releasing toxins. Phagocytes kill the pathogens. So, less phagocytes leads to...?
Reply 6
Original post by h3rmit
An infection in the lungs will be the result of pathogens propagating inside the lungs and releasing toxins. Phagocytes kill the pathogens. So, less phagocytes leads to...?

...?
Reply 7
Original post by Qer
...?

Pathogen = infection

Phagocytes = no pathogen

No phagocytes = ....?
Reply 8
Original post by h3rmit

Exactly you are right
This what I'm looking for
I think this question is too confusing
Reply 9
Original post by Qer
Exactly you are right
This what I'm looking for
I think this question is too confusing

It's not really that confusing a question tbh. Assuming you're an AS student, you probably will just have to learn to think more methodically e.g. "what do phagocytes do?" and "what is an infection" before you answer questions, rather than rushing in like you could do at GCSE
Reply 10
Original post by h3rmit
It's not really that confusing a question tbh. Assuming you're an AS student, you probably will just have to learn to think more methodically e.g. "what do phagocytes do?" and "what is an infection" before you answer questions, rather than rushing in like you could do at GCSE

Yeah I'm As student
Well
Question is saying
Destruction of phagocyte leads to infection

Infection is caused by pathogens. Pathogens release chemical that attracts phagocyte. Phagocyte engulf pathogen and release enzyme that destroy pathogen. As phagocyte destroy pathogens then there would no infection PHAGOCYTE DOES NOT LEAD TO INFECTION INFACT IT DESTROYS INFECTION CAUSING PATHOGENS........
Reply 11
Original post by Qer
Yeah I'm As student
Well
Question is saying
Destruction of phagocyte leads to infection

Infection is caused by pathogens. Pathogens release chemical that attracts phagocyte. Phagocyte engulf pathogen and release enzyme that destroy pathogen. As phagocyte destroy pathogens then there would no infection PHAGOCYTE DOES NOT LEAD TO INFECTION INFACT IT DESTROYS INFECTION CAUSING PATHOGENS........

Exactly, that's why no phagocytes = infection. I'm assuming you're confused, or maybe you're angry? It's hard to tell
Reply 12
Original post by h3rmit
Exactly, that's why no phagocytes = infection. I'm assuming you're confused, or maybe you're angry? It's hard to tell

No I'm not angry. I'm trying to understand but not getting the right point .....still confused
Reply 13
Original post by h3rmit

Ohh
Yeah i got it
At last
Thanks mate

Quick Reply