The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Original post by Aida Karabu
I am given that the capacitance is 100μF and the resistance is 200kΩ.
I have found (using the equation: Time = Resistance x Capacitance) that the time constant is 20s. They are now asking what the halving time is, what is the halving time, how can I find it?

The halving time is the time taken for the voltage/current/charge of a capacitor to half when discharging the capacitor. To find it, multiply the time constant by ln 2.

If you equate an exponential decay graph of charge/voltage/current to half its original respective quantity, and rearrange for t, you'll get the half life.
Reply 2
Original post by h3rmit
The halving time is the time taken for the voltage/current/charge of a capacitor to half when discharging the capacitor. To find it, multiply the time constant by ln 2.

If you equate an exponential decay graph of charge/voltage/current to half its original respective quantity, and rearrange for t, you'll get the half life.

Reply 3
Original post by h3rmit

why do you multiply by ln(2) I don't understand where you get this from

Latest