The Student Room Group

Why do people gamble

Scroll to see replies

Gambling is poison everyone should avoid it
Original post by struggler07
I'm talking about gambling addictions I know a few

Well you began this thread by asking why people gamble. You didn't mention addiction at all.

Gambling is poison everyone should avoid it

Not really. Alcohol can be just as harmful as gambling. Sex can be just as harmful as alcohol. Cake can be just as harmful as sex.

Just because someone gambles, doesn't mean they'll become an addict. As I said, out of the many many people who gamble, only a small percentage of them become full blown addicts who ruin their lives.

So stop generalising. It's ridiculous.
Original post by Kagutsuchi
Well you began this thread by asking why people gamble. You didn't mention addiction at all

Not really. Alcohol can be just as harmful as gambling. Sex can be just as harmful as alcohol. Cake can be just as harmful as sex.

Just because someone gambles, doesn't mean they'll become an addict. As I said, out of the many many people who gamble, only a small percentage of them become full blown addicts who ruin their lives.

So stop generalising. It's ridiculous.

Sorry for not making myself clear I mean addicts not normal people, it's true what your saying only a small percentage turn out to be gambling addicts the longer you gamble the more addicted you will be in my opinion
The ironic thing is gamblers say that expsive clothes are expensive like £100 jeans they don't realise the amount the spend and lose on gambling
Sorry for not making myself clear I mean addicts not normal people, it's true what your saying only a small percentage turn out to be gambling addicts the longer you gamble the more addicted you will be in my opinion

Again, untrue.

Gambling addiction is a very particular cognitive dependence. It's neither increased or decreased by duration.

Nothing wrong with gambling.
Again, untrue.

Gambling addiction is a very particular cognitive dependence. It's neither increased or decreased by duration.

Nothing wrong with gambling.

What's cognitive and yeah someone I know gambling habits has definitely increased things just get worse for her she won't stop
What's cognitive and yeah someone I know gambling habits has definitely increased things just get worse for her she won't stop

So the real issue is the person, not gambling.

Why won't she stop? What does she do?
So the real issue is the person, not gambling.

Why won't she stop? What does she do?

Yeah and she can't she's too addicted to gambling she's on benefits so money's hard for her and she gambles online
Yeah and she can't she's too addicted to gambling she's on benefits so money's hard for her and she gambles online

Gambling is not the issue.

Have you tried talking to her in a constructive intervention-like manner?

Perhaps engaging her? Spending time with her? Taking part in her other hobbies with her?
Gambling is not the issue.

Have you tried talking to her in a constructive intervention-like manner?

Perhaps engaging her? Spending time with her? Taking part in her other hobbies with her?

You sure and I have spoke to her load of times saying do other hobbies etc even my councillor spoke to her 5 years ago and she don't really have no other hobbies
Gambling addicts don't realise the value of money
Original post by 2944572
Its the "get rich quick scheme"
Oh and also lose your whole life overnight scheme X

Lol trust me your gonna lose more than you win and your gonna keep coming back to gamble like a mug
Original post by Xiep
The possibility/thrill to gain big.

Your gonna lose big that's a definite
Original post by kangs
mental disorder

Trust me hate all forms of gambling
Actually playing anything release the mental pressure. And it's refresh the mind.
Original post by ChillianG
Actually playing anything release the mental pressure. And it's refresh the mind.

That's a point but it's not worth it in the long run
Trust me hate all forms of gambling

Are you sure you don't actually love it? You love talking about it.
Original post by Davalla
Are you sure you don't actually love it? You love talking about it.

I know someone who is really close to me that gambles like everyday
Original post by SophieSmall
This.

I personally don't enjoy gambling myself, nor really understand why people enjoy it. But I don't think it's evil or inherently bad because some people have addictions to it. If I thought that about gambling I'd have to apply the same logic to a lot of things.

Say you had £10,000 and you gambled it, the thrill of winning is enough for some people.

Gambling is bad as the house generally always wins, but there are people who take insane risk and turn 10k into say 20k by sheer luck... if they use the money wisely after the risk that money could turn into something else.

More philosophically one could argue life is a gamble ie if you take risk there is a downside or an upside...
Question is not really how you meant to ask it. A lot of people gamble because they make a profit from it e.g. Matched betting professional poker players trading on the market etc.

Obviously we don't even need to ask why they do it they do it because they make a profit and it's easy money if you know why your doing.

I think what you mean to ask is why do people gamble when the odds are against them.

Reasons can vary desperation, or small amount that makes little difference on a long shot of life change eg lottery or trying to predict a series of games etc.

Sometimes it's entertainment or social life e.g. At poker tables sometimes it's friendly and nice chat usually not but sometimes it's a social life's etc. I normally find the best approach is to keep quite until you know the table a bit then if they ain't the aggro type you can be a bit social.
If I go to a football game I will place a few bets so I have something to cheer for but I rarely go to games.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending