The Student Room Group

US threatens war w/Mex

His Excellency The President Trump, Commander-in-Chief of the US forces, has officially informed Mexico he might send military into the country.

http://time.com/4657474/donald-trump-enrique-pena-nieto-mexico-bad-hombres/

Scroll to see replies

He'll probably declare it on Twitter if it happens.
Well Trump is right that Mexico does have a serious and out of control problem with the Cartels.

A documentary worth watching on the subject is Cartel Land. It does paint a rather worrying picture.

[video="youtube;xC5bpPfltOI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC5bpPfltOI[/video]
Original post by Little Toy Gun
His Excellency The President Trump, Commander-in-Chief of the US forces, has officially informed Mexico he might send military into the country.

http://time.com/4657474/donald-trump-enrique-pena-nieto-mexico-bad-hombres/

The Pres. of Mexico should take Trump up on the offer. He could get the cartels completely wiped out and it would be great training for U.S. troops.
Original post by Willy Pete
Well Trump is right that Mexico does have a serious and out of control problem with the Cartels.

A documentary worth watching on the subject is Cartel Land. It does paint a rather worrying picture.

[video="youtube;xC5bpPfltOI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC5bpPfltOI[/video]

Original post by oldercon1953
The Pres. of Mexico should take Trump up on the offer. He could get the cartels completely wiped out and it would be great training for U.S. troops.

As long as there's demands from Americans and guns from the US, the drug problem will not go away.

Ever if the US invades and doesn't go away, the best case scenario is the "Frontier" goes south, and closer to where most drugs are made (eg Colombia).
Ever if the US invades and doesn't go away, the best case scenario is the "Frontier" goes south, and closer to where most drugs are made (eg Colombia).

I main drug to cross the border is Meth which is made by the cartels in Mexico.
Imagine a world leader being concerned about a neighbouring country falling into armed chaos........shocking!
Maybe, instead of threatening to build a wall with Mexico, Trump should offer them the opportunity to become the 51st State? It'd solve the illegal immigration problem, allow US forces to be used against the cartels & allow access to Mexico's natural resources... Although perhaps it would have worked better when Obama was POTUS as I can't imagine many Mexicans voting to join the USA with Trump as President.
Reply 8
Original post by Tempest II
Maybe, instead of threatening to build a wall with Mexico, Trump should offer them the opportunity to become the 51st State? It'd solve the illegal immigration problem, allow US forces to be used against the cartels & allow access to Mexico's natural resources... Although perhaps it would have worked better when Obama was POTUS as I can't imagine many Mexicans voting to join the USA with Trump as President.

Problem is, with a population of ~120m it would suddenly become the most powerful state in the union. It would really need to be 5 or 6 states, but even then it would be an incredibly powerful voting bloc.
Original post by Drewski
Problem is, with a population of ~120m it would suddenly become the most powerful state in the union. It would really need to be 5 or 6 states, but even then it would be an incredibly powerful voting bloc.

Yeah I agree Mexico would need to be redrawn. It currently has 31 states. As slightly crazy as the idea may sound, I do actually think in the long term it could help both nations. Standards in Mexico will rise, crime should go down, a massive influx of people to the labour market would boost the US economy etc. Unfortunately in the short term it'd be borderline chaos even if the majority of both nations voted to merge which is quite possibly a long shot. The average wage in Mexico doesn't come anywhere close to the US so, for a time, the US would be propping up Mexico like West Germany did to the Eastern side after the wall fell in '91. But now Germany is an industrial powerhouse.
An American merge with Canada is probably more appealing although perhaps not to the Canadians as they'd lose their free healthcare & other benefits.
Original post by Mathemagicien
There are other solutions to this rather than military intervention, though. I mean, why not just build a wall?

The only way to stop a bad hombre with a gun is a good hombre with a gun.
Original post by Tempest II
Yeah I agree Mexico would need to be redrawn. It currently has 31 states. As slightly crazy as the idea may sound, I do actually think in the long term it could help both nations. Standards in Mexico will rise, crime should go down, a massive influx of people to the labour market would boost the US economy etc. Unfortunately in the short term it'd be borderline chaos even if the majority of both nations voted to merge which is quite possibly a long shot. The average wage in Mexico doesn't come anywhere close to the US so, for a time, the US would be propping up Mexico like West Germany did to the Eastern side after the wall fell in '91. But now Germany is an industrial powerhouse.
An American merge with Canada is probably more appealing although perhaps not to the Canadians as they'd lose their free healthcare & other benefits.

Crime rates are identical in the US and Mexico.

Mexico has free universal healthcare.
I main drug to cross the border is Meth which is made by the cartels in Mexico.

I meant people would always try to make them. Ever if they could remove them from Mexico, it would just be moving the problem south.
Sensationalist title is sensationalist

Posted from TSR Mobile
I meant people would always try to make them. Ever if they could remove them from Mexico, it would just be moving the problem south.

The war on drugs is a complete waste of resources. It is an impossible fight which can never be won.
Original post by JamesN88
He'll probably declare it on Twitter if it happens.

Someone should take Twitter away from him,he throws way too many temper tantrums on there
Original post by Jammy Duel
Sensationalist title is sensationalist

Posted from TSR Mobile

What can I say? I'm an aspiring Daily Mail writer.

The war on drugs is a complete waste of resources. It is an impossible fight which can never be won.

Indeed. Governments should adopt alternative strategies.

Original post by queen-bee
Someone should take Twitter away from him,he throws way too many temper tantrums on there

Then he'll buy Twitter and close it down.
Original post by Mathemagicien
And humanity would be better off as a result.

Just like the drug cartels, there will be another medium to replace it.

And the Emmy nominee will join it because he's hip.
As long as there's demands from Americans and guns from the US, the drug problem will not go away.

The problem of violent border towns started around 15-20 yrs. ago and has grown into the horrendous problem it is in the last 4-5 yrs.. On the Mex. side a lot of it doesn't make the news. The Cartels were used to a growing demand from the U.S. but that's not the case now. they've even flooded U.S. streets with cheap heroine in the hopes of increasing demand.
These Cartels are huge Organizations and need huge revenues to function. Without a growing market theses Cartels have turned on each other hoping to eliminate the competition.
If Mex. wanted the Cartels gone they would be gone. The truth is too much money is made from the drug trade. Another reason why Trump should make them pay for the wall.
Not only should they take the offer they should have begged for it already.

The drug problem in Mexico is serious isn't it something like over 100k of people die a year because of the cartels?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending