The Student Room Group

Accommodation colleges for cambridge medics?

Hi,
I was wondering which colleges offer accommodation for all years of an undergraduate medicine course as on the sites they only mention 3 or 4 years of accommodation instead of 6. Newnham was the exception to this :smile:
Thank you
Original post by MoonlitOcean
Hi,
I was wondering which colleges offer accommodation for all years of an undergraduate medicine course as on the sites they only mention 3 or 4 years of accommodation instead of 6. Newnham was the exception to this :smile:
Thank you

Only about half of medics stay on at Cambridge To do clinicals (the other half go to other medical school). And if you do clinicals at Cambridge, it'll be based at addenbrook hospital which is out of town, so they usually prefer to live somewhere nearer to the hospital.
Original post by vincrows
Only about half of medics stay on at Cambridge To do clinicals (the other half go to other medical school). And if you do clinicals at Cambridge, it'll be based at addenbrook hospital which is out of town, so they usually prefer to live somewhere nearer to the hospital.

Everyone stays for clinicals (not a student there btw)
Reply 3
Hi,
Thank you

Clare and Emma both had accommodation for clinical medics near to Addenbrooke's when I was there - there were rumours that Clare was going to sell theirs off but I am not sure if this ever happened. Some other colleges had spaces in their normal graduate student accommodation, but as this was often quite far from the hospital, some students chose to rent privately instead.
Original post by Cherub012
Everyone stays for clinicals (not a student there btw)

Actually not at Cambridge.

http://www.medschl.cam.ac.uk/education/courses/standard/
(edited 7 years ago)

Erm what am I looking at? The course structure?
Reply 6

I think they got rid of the London transfer option a couple of years ago. Students starting now will all be expected to spend the whole 6 years at Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,
Thank you

Hello! This thread could do with some information - plenty of contradiction!

Medical students study alongside other students in Cambridge for the first 3 years (for the third year they study another subject, generally something from Natural Sciences) and are guaranteed College accommodation during this time. Years 4-6 are the clinical years and are spent in hospitals/practices (plural) across East Anglia. I don't think many students would stay in College accommodation if it meant commuting to Ipswich.

Even where students have the option of living in College, many medics choose to live out nearer to Addenbrookes (or whichever hospital they're at at the time) and to live with other medics (you won't be keeping typical hours and might not want to live next door to students with more typical student hours).

Don't worry about where you're going to live 4 years from now - you'll find somewhere!
Original post by Helenia
I think they got rid of the London transfer option a couple of years ago. Students starting now will all be expected to spend the whole 6 years at Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, they ended the transferring to London a few years ago but still transfers to other medical schools in east anglia region is there.
Even when London transfer was there, not all of transfering students went to London.
Reply 9
Yes, they ended the transferring to London a few years ago but still transfers to other medical schools in east anglia region is there.
Even when London transfer was there, not all of transfering students went to London.

No, some went to Oxford and a handful went elsewhere, but the majority went to London.

The link you gave does not show other "medical schools" in East Anglia - the only one of those in the region is UEA in Norwich, which has no links to Cambridge. They're just the different hospitals that students will be placed at for varying lengths of time over the course, as well as placements at Addies. Accommodation is provided on site for regional placements, so the majority of students still base themselves in Cambridge, and the degree is still awarded by Cambridge.

Sorry, I seem to have popped up to contradict you a couple of times recently - not intentional!
Original post by Helenia
No, some went to Oxford and a handful went elsewhere, but the majority went to London.

The link you gave does not show other "medical schools" in East Anglia - the only one of those in the region is UEA in Norwich, which has no links to Cambridge. They're just the different hospitals that students will be placed at for varying lengths of time over the course, as well as placements at Addies. Accommodation is provided on site for regional placements, so the majority of students still base themselves in Cambridge, and the degree is still awarded by Cambridge.

Sorry, I seem to have popped up to contradict you a couple of times recently - not intentional!

Ah, sorry, I think I used the word 'transfer' wrongly. What I meant was you'll not necessarily be based in Cambridge for clinical study. Apologies.

DW, I know it's not intentional, my towpaths friend. :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by Helenia
xxx

xxx

Peterhouse has spoken above :smile:

:grouphugs:
Original post by jneill
Peterhouse has spoken above :smile:

:grouphugs:

I know! But they're not entirely correct - plenty of students do stay in college accommodation and weekly commute to hospital placements, where accommodation is provided. Otherwise clinicals would be a nightmare of long commutes/frequent moves!

It looks like they've altered the length of some placements and streamlined things a bit since I did the course, but the basic principles are still the same - some time in Addies and some in a variety of DGHs. I did placements in 4 different GP surgeries and 5 hospitals (including Addies). And then complicated things further by having a boyfriend in London so spent half my weekends there - I lived out of a suitcase for most of 5th/6th year!
Reply 13
Thank you everyone :smile:
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Hello! This thread could do with some information - plenty of contradiction!

Medical students study alongside other students in Cambridge for the first 3 years (for the third year they study another subject, generally something from Natural Sciences) and are guaranteed College accommodation during this time. Years 4-6 are the clinical years and are spent in hospitals/practices (plural) across East Anglia. I don't think many students would stay in College accommodation if it meant commuting to Ipswich.

Even where students have the option of living in College, many medics choose to live out nearer to Addenbrookes (or whichever hospital they're at at the time) and to live with other medics (you won't be keeping typical hours and might not want to live next door to students with more typical student hours).

Don't worry about where you're going to live 4 years from now - you'll find somewhere!

The vast vast vast majority of clinical medics have a base in Cambridge even if they're on placement somewhere else in East Anglia. The District General Hospital they are placed at will provide temporary accommodation for placements.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi. I know this is an old thread but wondering what’s the up to date situation in years 4-6. Is there still accommodation owner by colleges near the hospital or are you expected to find somewhere to rent or does the hospital provide it? Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending