The Student Room Group

Breaking News: MP's back brexit

Scroll to see replies

Those who voted against are a disgrace with the exception of the SNP. Their party's objective is to break up the union and so they will do whatever they can to achieve that.

I don't think any other MP's have the right to vote against. How can Chris Bryant say that following a democratic vote, the view of the minority should be implemented? If he believes that, he should give up his seat to the person who lost the election and let them vote instead. It is completely hypocritical.

There will always be a minority of people supporting anything. If Chris Bryant thinks he is good enough to decide when we should listen to the majority and when we should ignore them, we should make him our dictator. The legal technicalities of it don't matter.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Sternumator
Those who voted against are a disgrace with the exception of the SNP. Their party's objective is to break up the union and so they will do whatever they can to achieve that.

I don't think any other MP's have the right to vote against. How can Chris Bryant say that following a democratic vote, the view of the minority should be implemented? If he believes that, he should give up his seat to the person who lost the election and let them vote instead. It is completely hypocritical. The legal technicalities of it don't matter.

Those who represent constituencies that voted to remain shouldn't really be penalised for also voting to remain. That's the point of MPs, to represent their constituents.
Ken Clarke is the bogeyman. He's the bogeyman who was one of the main people who actually pushed UK into the EU. He's been in parliament for a very long time, even before 1971. I see right through him.

Very happy that government won. Gina Miller needs to sit down and tolerate this. This is about building opportunities for the deprived average citizens.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Drewski
Those who represent constituencies that voted to remain shouldn't really be penalised for also voting to remain. That's the point of MPs, to represent their constituents.

And just because a constituency voted remain doesn't mean they now oppose article 50 since you get a significant number of remain voters who very rapidly passed through the stages of grief and support article 50 because that's what the country as a whole voted for.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
And just because a constituency voted remain doesn't mean they now oppose article 50 since you get a significant number of remain voters who very rapidly passed through the stages of grief and support article 50 because that's what the country as a whole voted for.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And just because they voted Leave doesn't mean that this will influence which MP they vote for when the world has moved on over the next three years.

Areas which strongly supported capital punishment elected abolitionist MPs for decades before public opinion moved decisively against capital punishment.
Does anyone here care about the future of our economy, work prospects, the ability to seek jobs Europe-wide with ease? Just wondering. :rolleyes:

Setting aside nationalist rhetoric and empty tub-thumping about a British imperial prospect that no longer exists, here are a few things we now stand to lose in the not very distant future:

- access to the Single Market - that's more 2/3 of our trade and more than half of our GDP. This is certain to be impacted severely under the current plan as tariffs will be introduced.

- our leading role in the global education market and the powerhouse universities of Britain - EU student enrollment is already down 7% and research funding will be hugely down in future years as the government have only promised 2 year's worth of replacement for the large slice of university research income that comes from the EU countries.

- cheap, diverse and plentiful food - crops in this country are mainly picked by E. European workers and farmers rely heavily on EU subsidies, which again are not going to be replaced by the British government for more than a short time. All of the huge variety of excellent produce we currently see from Europe will become more expensive as tariffs go on.

- economic stability and high employment - both threatened - there is a strong chance that the UK will return to the economic pattern it had before it joined, with stagflation and high unemployment.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
the ability to seek jobs Europe-wide with ease?

Why should this be a factor?

Why should we be more bothered about Europe than doing this anywhere else?

Why should it be easier to go to work in Spain than Canada?

And why do you suspect that, as is the case with the rest of the world, that if you have the required qualifications for the job and are offered a job, a visa won't be readily available?

These aren't digs, they're genuine questions.
(edited 7 years ago)
Being in the EU is so successful, unless you're lazy tax dodging *******s like the Greeks.
Original post by Drewski

There is absolutely no reason why constituencies matter (except in purely unprincipled electoral calculations). It is a national issue to be decided nationally.

You can not get a purer exercise in democracy than the two sides making their arguments and everyone voting on in.

Yes we have a parliamentary system and the courts ruled that it overrules the referendum result but that isn't the point. It is a historical accident that we have the system we do and it is constantly changing.

The will of the people has been expressed. The question is, do MPs want to carry it out? All the other arguments are attempts to justify voting against the people.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Sternumator
The will of the people has been expressed. The question is, do MPs want to carry it out? All the other arguments are attempts to justify voting against the people.

It's not voting against the people though. It's voting with the people who put you in that position in the first place. If you're an MP you're there to represent them. So you represent them. I don't think there should be any penalty for that.
Original post by Drewski
It's not voting against the people though. It's voting with the people who put you in that position in the first place. If you're an MP you're there to represent them. So you represent them. I don't think there should be any penalty for that.

Why does the opinion of someone 2mins down the road but in a neighbouring constituency matter less than a person in the constituency? As I said, it is totally by chance how constituency boundaries have been drawn up. They are not voting on whether their constituency stays in the Eu, they are voting on whether the UK does.

If we were under a dictator, you could say MPs shouldn't be punished for voting for what their appointer wanted. May be they shouldn't but that doesn't make it a principled act and it certainly doesn't make it democratic. It is a cynical act, in their own self interest to stay in a job.

Clearly, it wouldnt be an acceptable result if more constituencies voted against brexit even though they won the vote and as a result, it was blocked by MPs.

Yes! Nothing will stand in the way of democracy :u:
Original post by Drewski

These aren't digs, they're genuine questions.

Sure. I don't really see that anything about EU membership blocked people out from jobseeking in Australia, Canada or the US - indeed, they all have their own visa requirements which seem unlikely to radically shift in our favour.

By contrast, the EU is right next door, has a huge technical, scientific and cultural economy of the sort appealing to British graduates, has tended to welcome British graduates (especially because native English speakers have a widespread advantage in Europe, hence the frantic efforts to speak good English endemic amongst the European middle classes) and is right next door.

Really, isn't this a no-brainer? I am not speaking polemically - isn't it just logic?

I know that so far nothing has been specifically said that rules out continued job market access, but if May sticks adamantly to full controls on inward migration from Europe, it's deeply implausible that it can continue in the current form.
Sure. I don't really see that anything about EU membership blocked people out from jobseeking in Australia, Canada or the US - indeed, they all have their own visa requirements which seem unlikely to radically shift in our favour.

By contrast, the EU is right next door, has a huge technical, scientific and cultural economy of the sort appealing to British graduates, has tended to welcome British graduates (especially because native English speakers have a widespread advantage in Europe, hence the frantic efforts to speak good English endemic amongst the European middle classes) and is right next door.

Really, isn't this a no-brainer? I am not speaking polemically - isn't it just logic?

I know that so far nothing has been specifically said that rules out continued job market access, but if May sticks adamantly to full controls on inward migration from Europe, it's deeply implausible that it can continue in the current form.

Not in my experience.

I found it far easier to go work in Canada and Japan than I did in mainland Europe, despite the qualifications I possessed being exactly the same.

Various European countries - notably France and Italy - made it very difficult (to the point of banning the practise and arresting those who did it) for it to happen, in a complete disregard for EU rules on the matter.

I don't see why it would suddenly be such a hardship to get a visa to go work in any of the 27 EU countries. We have to do it for basically every other country on the planet.
Original post by Drewski
Not in my experience.

I found it far easier to go work in Canada and Japan than I did in mainland Europe, despite the qualifications I possessed being exactly the same.

Various European countries - notably France and Italy - made it very difficult (to the point of banning the practise and arresting those who did it) for it to happen, in a complete disregard for EU rules on the matter.

I don't see why it would suddenly be such a hardship to get a visa to go work in any of the 27 EU countries. We have to do it for basically every other country on the planet.

Is there a recent case of France or Italy behaving like that? I think you are referencing problems from 10-20 years ago that no longer exist.

I've heard a great deal about the huge problems applying for work in the US and Australia. I don't know much about Canada.
Is there a recent case of France or Italy behaving like that? I think you are referencing problems from 10-20 years ago that no longer exist.

I've heard a great deal about the huge problems applying for work in the US and Australia. I don't know much about Canada.

This was 3 years ago. It's now happening in Austria too.
Original post by joe cooley
Too important for the "ordinary" people to decide, eh?

The peasant mentality is strong in this one......

It's not really a peasant mentality but if you asked the average person about the future of this country and our global influence or about the customs union, the schengen area etc they wouldn't have a clue.
The big question is, is this going to be a full English Brexit or some poncy Continental style Brexit?
Reply 38
Original post by Jasminder1994
X

[video="youtube;tvfhmhITkYY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvfhmhITkYY[/video]
Original post by Drewski
This was 3 years ago. It's now happening in Austria too.

Do you have a link to the story? I just tried googling the topic and there are references to it in France. I know some SMEs in particular in the EU object to hiring or interviewing EU workers, but that happens here too. I don't see it as a general thing - as attested to by the fact that many hundreds of thousands of British people work regularly in Europe.

Quick Reply

Latest