The Student Room Group

Tombre's 100 or so day journey to all A*s!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tombre
I love reading books and just being all pretentious and coming up with analyses. I know most of it is utter frogswollop, but I kick I kick out of it. I like writing, but I find Language way too restricting with what I have to write - the new spec is pretty dull. I also don't like the type of texts you analyse in Language, whereas I feel like I've gained something by reading a great novel/play in Lit.

I'll just get a good nights sleep and hope for the best then :biggrin: No problem!

Fair enough, good enough reasons as any! Frogswollop - now that's a word and a half! :lol: I know I said I hated them both but I did slightly prefer Literature over Language, I found it much easier to - for lack of a better word - bullsh*t what the writers meant rather than writing my own piece.

I'd recommend that, good luck again! :h:
Reply 21
Original post by NiamhM1801
Fair enough, good enough reasons as any! Frogswollop - now that's a word and a half! :lol: I know I said I hated them both but I did slightly prefer Literature over Language, I found it much easier to - for lack of a better word - bullsh*t what the writers meant rather than writing my own piece.

I'd recommend that, good luck again! :h:

I just realised I wrote "I kick a kick out of it" - but eh, you know what I meeeeaaaaannnn. And yep, I completely agree with you there - I ********ted my way through Year 10 and came to love doing so. Also idk what frogswollop means, but I like it, so it's stayingggggg. :biggrin:
Original post by Tombre
I just realised I wrote "I kick a kick out of it" - but eh, you know what I meeeeaaaaannnn. And yep, I completely agree with you there - I ********ted my way through Year 10 and came to love doing so. Also idk what frogswollop means, but I like it, so it's stayingggggg. :biggrin:

I noticed that too ahaha but yeah I get you :tongue: Same here - I was terrible at it at first, as being a mathematician I'm a fairly logical person - but I soon learnt the ways and ended up doing pretty well (by my standards anyway :lol:). Good, I like it too haha :biggrin:
Hi :biggrin: You certainly look like you are on the road to success! Look forward to seeing your progress :tongue: And thanks for the mention :h:
Original post by Tombre

BIOLOGY
We finished B3.3 after just 3 lessons! I loved learning about The Nervous System, it's really cool and I also found out about the knee reflex response, where you karate chop just below your knee and your leg rises! I'm easily impressed. Next lesson it's onto B3.4 - The Role of the Kidney In Homeostasis! :h:

Great work on the thread so far! It's spooky because we seem to be on the same topics for so many lessons :h:
However I wish our class was getting through B3 as fast as yours! We started it in early January and our teacher keeps faffing around, showing us unrelated practicals so for some reason so we're still on Active Transport :angry:
Reply 25
Original post by misstiah_h
Great work on the thread so far! It's spooky because we seem to be on the same topics for so many lessons :h:
However I wish our class was getting through B3 as fast as yours! We started it in early January and our teacher keeps faffing around, showing us unrelated practicals so for some reason so we're still on Active Transport :angry:

Thank you! Aaaah really? We're on different exam boards for everything, so that's pretty cool actually!
I do prefer a fast-paced class, we were actually going really slowly on B3.1 and 2, but the pace really picked up and I prefer it so much! :smile: I did Active Transport in B2, so I assume it's really early in on your B3? Don't worry, there's plenty of time to plough through and you can always do some further reading if you get bored :biggrin: Your teacher doesn't seem very focused at the moment, haha, but like mine did, they'll probably come around pretty soon!
Original post by Tombre
Thank you! Aaaah really? We're on different exam boards for everything, so that's pretty cool actually!
I do prefer a fast-paced class, we were actually going really slowly on B3.1 and 2, but the pace really picked up and I prefer it so much! :smile: I did Active Transport in B2, so I assume it's really early in on your B3? Don't worry, there's plenty of time to plough through and you can always do some further reading if you get bored :biggrin: Your teacher doesn't seem very focused at the moment, haha, but like mine did, they'll probably come around pretty soon!

HAHA yes, I think my teacher is slowly beginning to realise how far behind we are.. I'm trying to do all the extra work I can to make sure I stay on top of the work :biggrin:
Reply 27
MATHS CHALLENGE, BRIGHT PURPLE WRAPS AND 1ST DAY OF PROPER REVISION

Today I got to school (late, lmao oops) and as soon as I got to my form, my form teacher (who is also my maths teacher) was like "hurry to the Maths Challenge!" And I was like "wat" but I rolled with it and ended up being stood outside a Maths room for half an hour, being too awkward to just go back to form until 9:00 :biggrin:

MATHS CHALLENGE
And so the challenge began and tbh it was so difficult, I struggled a lot, but I'm not too bothered, I have my Maths GCSEs and this was only supposed a little extra! :tongue:

STUDY HOUR
I carried out my research for my Physics Controlled Assessment, had a debate with my (vegetarian) friend about the new medical endeavours involving mixing pig embryos and human embryos to harvest human organs etc. The supervisor also joined us and told us some gross facts about milk that make me feel guilty, but I also love milk so :frown: I still won't be giving milk up anytime soon :smile:

ENGLISH
We did some diary writing from the perspective of Tim Peake about his journey into space. It was interesting to write about, but I find diary writing so cheesy, I can't take it seriously. :s-smilie:

BIOLOGY
We practised some hard past paper questions on The Nervous System so can swiftly move on. My Physics teacher walked in, I asked her to check my research and all was good. She also was really ambiguous about our original Controlled Assessment grades, which was hella frustrating. My Bio teacher also admitted that our class didn't get many A*s in the Bio CA, so I hope I'm one of the few! :colondollar:

Okay, so I got to lunch and my mum had bought me a wrap to take in, I hadn't paid attention when I put it in my bag and when I got it, it was BRIGHT PURPLE (apparently beetroot infused or something), it tasted good but it was so weird :biggrin:

SPANISH
We finished looking at the Spanish and Latin American fiestas and did a listening exercise on the weather. :h:

AND TONIGHT MY REVISION TIMETABLE BEGAN

PHYSICS
I wrote notes on speed and acceleration and practised kinematic equation questions. :tongue:

ENGLISH LITERATURE
I haven't read An Inspector Calls in 9 months, so I eased back into the feel of the play by watching a Mr Bruff video, which was an Act 1 summary and analysis. I then watched a video by Mr Salles that showed how to analyse stage directions. I'm currently rereading the play.

CHEMISTRY
I cut out Geography and Biology, as I have already done a lot of work for them this week, however I will not be doing this anymore and I will find something to do, as I ended up doing triple the time I should have on Chemistry because of this - not that's a bad thing, I learnt A LOAD!
I basically covered the entire of C3.1, which we haven't done yet because of the Controlled Assessment. I made notes on Alkanes, Alkenes, Alcohols, Isomers, Functional Groups, Enzymes, Fermentation, Ethanol, The Fire Triangle, Ethanoic Acid and Carboxylic Acids and Testing for Organic Compounds - so a very productive hour and a half. I'll be testing myself on this in my Chemistry slot tomorrow.

TOMORROW
In my study hour I will practise doing my Physics Controlled Assessment.
From my revision timetable, I am set to revise Physics (will do momentum), Spanish (will look at some flashcards made by @misstiah_h who kindly gave me the link), Chemistry (will test myself on Additional Organic Chemistry), take a break for the gym and English Lit (will spend the slot reading AIC) :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Wow - well done on today! Hope the maths challenge wasn't too bad for you. I'm sure you'll be very prepared for your GCSEs when they come around with the effort you're putting in now :h:
Original post by Tombre
MATHS CHALLENGE, BRIGHT PURPLE WRAPS AND 1ST DAY OF PROPER REVISION

Today I got to school (late, lmao oops) and as soon as I got to my form, my form teacher (who is also my maths teacher) was like "hurry to the Maths Challenge!" And I was like "wat" but I rolled with it and ended up being stood outside a Maths room for half an hour, being too awkward to just go back to form until 9:00 :biggrin:

MATHS CHALLENGE
And so the challenge began and tbh it was so difficult, I struggled a lot, but I'm not too bothered, I have my Maths GCSEs and this was only supposed a little extra! :tongue:

STUDY HOUR
I carried out my research for my Physics Controlled Assessment, had a debate with my (vegetarian) friend about the new medical endeavours involving mixing pig embryos and human embryos to harvest human organs etc. The supervisor also joined us and told us some gross facts about milk that make me feel guilty, but I also love milk so :frown: I still won't be giving milk up anytime soon :smile:

ENGLISH
We did some diary writing from the perspective of Tim Peake about his journey into space. It was interesting to write about, but I find diary writing so cheesy, I can't take it seriously. :s-smilie:

BIOLOGY
We practised some hard past paper questions on The Nervous System so can swiftly move on. My Physics teacher walked in, I asked her to check my research and all was good. She also was really ambiguous about our original Controlled Assessment grades, which was hella frustrating. My Bio teacher also admitted that our class didn't get many A*s in the Bio CA, so I hope I'm one of the few! :colondollar:

Okay, so I got to lunch and my mum had bought me a wrap to take in, I hadn't paid attention when I put it in my bag and when I got it, it was BRIGHT PURPLE (apparently beetroot infused or something), it tasted good but it was so weird :biggrin:

SPANISH
We finished looking at the Spanish and Latin American fiestas and did a listening exercise on the weather. :h:

AND TONIGHT MY REVISION TIMETABLE BEGAN

PHYSICS
I wrote notes on speed and acceleration and practised kinematic equation questions. :tongue:

ENGLISH LITERATURE
I haven't read An Inspector Calls in 9 months, so I eased back into the feel of the play by watching a Mr Bruff video, which was an Act 1 summary and analysis. I then watched a video by Mr Salles that showed how to analyse stage directions. I'm currently rereading the play.

CHEMISTRY
I cut out Geography and Biology, as I have already done a lot of work for them this week, however I will not be doing this anymore and I will find something to do, as I ended up doing triple the time I should have on Chemistry because of this - not that's a bad thing, I learnt A LOAD!
I basically covered the entire of C3.1, which we haven't done yet because of the Controlled Assessment. I made notes on Alkanes, Alkenes, Alcohols, Isomers, Functional Groups, Enzymes, Fermentation, Ethanol, The Fire Triangle, Ethanoic Acid and Carboxylic Acids and Testing for Organic Compounds - so a very productive hour and a half. I'll be testing myself on this in my Chemistry slot tomorrow.

TOMORROW
In my study hour I will practise doing my Physics Controlled Assessment.
From my revision timetable, I am set to revise Physics (will do momentum), Spanish (will look at some flashcards made by @misstiah_h who kindly gave me the link), Chemistry (will test myself on Additional Organic Chemistry), take a break for the gym and English Lit (will spend the slot reading AIC) :biggrin:

I like how you do a detailed account of your day, it's actually quite interesting to read! Man, reading other people's blogs is so inspiring :biggrin:
Given that I don't take any of these subjects -I take literature, not language - this is really interesting; it definitely makes me want to learn something about what you're studying :smile:
Reply 31
Original post by Shaaayxp
Hi :biggrin: You certainly look like you are on the road to success! Look forward to seeing your progress :tongue: And thanks for the mention :h:

Thank you so much! And no problem, we're all here to support each other, right? :biggrin:
Reply 32
Original post by NiamhM1801
Wow - well done on today! Hope the maths challenge wasn't too bad for you. I'm sure you'll be very prepared for your GCSEs when they come around with the effort you're putting in now :h:

Thank you so much! The maths challenge was just a tad horrendous, but I'm hoping for some miracle... :biggrin:
Reply 33
Original post by Shaaayxp
I like how you do a detailed account of your day, it's actually quite interesting to read! Man, reading other people's blogs is so inspiring :biggrin:

Thank you! I really love your format too, especially the study tips :biggrin: It really is motivating!
Reply 34
Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie
Given that I don't take any of these subjects -I take literature, not language - this is really interesting; it definitely makes me want to learn something about what you're studying :smile:

Thank you very much! I'm guessing you're at A Level, since Language is usually compulsory at GCSE? I'm hoping to take Literature next year! :biggrin: I prefer it a lot to Language.
Original post by Tombre
Thank you very much! I'm guessing you're at A Level, since Language is usually compulsory at GCSE? I'm hoping to take Literature next year! :biggrin: I prefer it a lot to Language.

Yep, I'm at A level :smile: And I'm in my second (and hopefully the last) year of studying :smile:

I definitely prefer Literature out of the two - I managed to get A and A* in Lang/lit at GCSE, but literature is more interesting in my opinion :smile:
Reply 36
Yep, I'm at A level :smile: And I'm in my second (and hopefully the last) year of studying :smile:

I definitely prefer Literature out of the two - I managed to get A and A* in Lang/lit at GCSE, but literature is more interesting in my opinion :smile:

Literature is LIT :biggrin: I make myself cringe, but I also found that way too funny oops. Congratulations on your results! I got A*s in my mocks for the 'Englishes' and I sat Lit Unit 1 in January and I am hoping for an A* in that :biggrin: What texts did you study at GCSE and what do you study at A Level? And what other subjects do you take?
Original post by Tombre
Literature is LIT :biggrin: I make myself cringe, but I also found that way too funny oops. Congratulations on your results! I got A*s in my mocks for the 'Englishes' and I sat Lit Unit 1 in January and I am hoping for an A* in that :biggrin: What texts did you study at GCSE and what do you study at A Level? And what other subjects do you take?

(The amount of times my friends and I make that joke, it's hilarious)
Thanks :smile: I was overjoyed when I saw it back in 2015 when I got my final lot of GCSE results:biggrin:

In GCSE I took: triple science, literature and language, maths, statistics, french, general studies, BTEC music, history, and FCSE German.

AS/A-levels: History, English literature, classical civilisation, and AS psychology.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 38
(The amount of times my friends and I make that joke, it's hilarious)
Thanks :smile: I was overjoyed when I saw it back in 2015 when I got my final lot of GCSE results:biggrin:

In GCSE I took: triple science, literature and language, maths, statistics, french, general studies, BTEC music, history, and FCSE German.

AS/A-levels: History, English literature, classical civilisation, and AS psychology.

(It's my absolute fave)
No problem, as you should have been! :smile:

None of our GCSE optional subjects match, so that's pretty cool! Your A-Levels sound very essay based, which must be hard. What texts did you/do you study in English Lit GCSE and A-Level? :biggrin:
Original post by Tombre
(It's my absolute fave)
No problem, as you should have been! :smile:

None of our GCSE optional subjects match, so that's pretty cool! Your A-Levels sound very essay based, which must be hard. What texts did you/do you study in English Lit GCSE and A-Level? :biggrin:

All 3 of them are essay based - and I'm resitting a paper from last year, so I have nine papers in June. (my hand is going to cramp so much!)

At GCSE I studied: Of Mice and Men, An Inspector Calls, a poetry anthology (relationships cluster), and Romeo and Juliet for coursework along with other poems.

A-level: Hard Times and Atonement, A Streetcar Named Desire, King Lear, two poetry anthologies (Romanticism and 20th Century) and then for coursework I picked The Hunger Games and The Book Thief.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending