The Student Room Group

How much weight can i lose?

I'm 5'8 and i weigh 73 or 74kg (not sure yet)
I'm going to have a fixed meal plan
Breakfast:
100% wholegrain oatmeal with one sliced banana on top with a glass of water and no sugar.
Snack: Pear
Lunch:
Egg sandwhich with an apple and a glass of water
Snack: Orange

Dinner: A smoothie. With bananas, strawberries, pineapple, carrots, brocoli and all that.

Exercise - jogging on the spot for 30 minutes and squatting 10 times.

Then drink lots of water and by 9:30, i'll be sleeping!
I'm going to have this meal plan as a temporary plan. When i lose 20 pounds (my goal is 35), i'll start a balanced diet
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Weight loss is not all about eating lots of fruit - fruit has a lot of sugar in (which comes out more via smoothie form) which can dampen weight loss.

And what bread are you using for your egg sandwich? Try to keep it wholemeal/thins/seeded bread.

For the exercise, you gotta mix it up, 30 minutes jogging on the spot (every day?) will become such a boring drag. Short bursts of high intensity and short breaks will be far more rewarding and satisfying (e.g they're usually known as 7 minute workouts - search for the app).
Original post by BusMan21
Weight loss is not all about eating lots of fruit - fruit has a lot of sugar in (which comes out more via smoothie form) which can dampen weight loss.

And what bread are you using for your egg sandwich? Try to keep it wholemeal/thins/seeded bread.

For the exercise, you gotta mix it up, 30 minutes jogging on the spot (every day?) will become such a boring drag. Short bursts of high intensity and short breaks will be far more rewarding and satisfying (e.g they're usually known as 7 minute workouts - search for the app).

So then i will mix it with vegetables
I just remembered how much i hate bread another than white bread. So just eggs on a plate.
Oh you're so right thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
My biggest concern is the diet you propose is really very low protein, and it also seems to be very low calorie.

I agree with the other user weight loss dose not mean you have to eat mainly fruit. And they are right you would be consuming a lot of sugar (and blending it would increase their GI, which would in turn raise your blood sugar faster, and your blood sugar would decrease faster which in turn will make you hungry faster).

You don't have to torture yourself when it comes to weight loss. If you don't like that food, don't eat it. Eat the kind of foods you do like, while trying to incorporate healthier options or alternatives along side it to lower the calorie content and increase nutrition.

Your diet appears very low calorie, this really is not necessary.

Google TDEE calculator, in put your stats and eat 500 calories less than that a day and you should lose approximately 1lb a week, regardless of what types of foods you eat.

Weight loss should be sustainable, because otherwise you just view it as a diet and something you'll eventually quit to go back to eat your "regular diet" this is why so many people fail, quit and gain weight back. Don't put yourself into that cycle.

Any questions feel free to ask.
Original post by emerald7770
I'm 5'8 and i weigh 73 or 74kg (not sure yet)
I'm going to have a fixed meal plan
Breakfast:
100% wholegrain oatmeal with one sliced banana on top with a glass of water and no sugar.
Snack: Pear
Lunch:
Egg sandwhich with an apple and a glass of water
Snack: Orange

Dinner: A smoothie. With bananas, strawberries, pineapple, carrots, brocoli and all that.

Exercise - jogging on the spot for 30 minutes and squatting 10 times.

Then drink lots of water and by 9:30, i'll be sleeping!
I'm going to have this meal plan as a temporary plan. When i lose 20 pounds (my goal is 35), i'll start a balanced diet

I'm 6ft 3 and weigh pretty much the same as you. Are you male or female? :colonhash:

Edit: Why have you said how much you want to lose in pounds but your actual weight in kilos? :colondollar:
(edited 7 years ago)

Is this you?
Original post by Robbie_Rotten1

Is this you?

I shouldn't laugh, but... :rofl:
Original post by cbreef
I shouldn't laugh, but... :rofl:

Yo homie you quote, no rep, whats the dealio?
I don't want to sound harsh but does this sound at all realistic? A 'smoothie' for dinner? Every day? For possibly 3 months? More to the point, you're not going to eat the same meals every day for three months, are you?

Jogging on the spot for 30 minutes? Every day? For three months?

It's great you've decided to lose some weight (if you need to), but maybe it would help you to think up some more balanced meal plans - including a variety of lean protein sources, wholegrain starchy carbohydrates and plenty of fruits and vegetables. Eat less foods high in fat, sugar and salt. Nothing is 'banned'.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SophieSmall
My biggest concern is the diet you propose is really very low protein, and it also seems to be very low calorie.

I agree with the other user weight loss dose not mean you have to eat mainly fruit. And they are right you would be consuming a lot of sugar (and blending it would increase their GI, which would in turn raise your blood sugar faster, and your blood sugar would decrease faster which in turn will make you hungry faster).

You don't have to torture yourself when it comes to weight loss. If you don't like that food, don't eat it. Eat the kind of foods you do like, while trying to incorporate healthier options or alternatives along side it to lower the calorie content and increase nutrition.

Google TDEE calculator, in put your stats and eat 500 calories less than that a day and you should lose approximately 1lb a week, regardless of what types of foods you eat.

Weight loss should be sustainable, because otherwise you just view it as a diet and something you'll eventually quit to go back to eat your "regular diet" this is why so many people fail, quit and gain weight back. Don't put yourself into that cycle.

Sound advice, based on the latest guidelines. :smile:

You're right. To be honest though, there arent really much healthy foods that are delicious. And i'm trying to clear skin in the process and i've been told that diet has nothing to do with skin but just foods with good source of nutrients and vitamins will help. I like tuna (which is healthy) but i like it with **** tons of mayonise. I like eggs but this **** ton of ketchup. And it all just doesnt go with each other. I feel like i have to go on a strict diet for now and when i lose all the weight, i can go on a balanced diet so i can still have a bit of junk food here and there.
Original post by cbreef
I'm 6ft 3 and weigh pretty much the same as you. Are you male or female? :colonhash:

Edit: Why have you said how much you want to lose in pounds but your actual weight in kilos? :colondollar:

Lol, wow. I'm female.
And uhm cause i'm messed up like that.
You're right. To be honest though, there arent really much healthy foods that are delicious. And i'm trying to clear skin in the process and i've been told that diet has nothing to do with skin but just foods with good source of nutrients and vitamins will help. I like tuna (which is healthy) but i like it with **** tons of mayonise. I like eggs but this **** ton of ketchup. And it all just doesnt go with each other. I feel like i have to go on a strict diet for now and when i lose all the weight, i can go on a balanced diet so i can still have a bit of junk food here and there.

That really depends on what you mean by delicious and healthy. Since I have no idea what you class as healthy (outside the obvious of trying to eat some fruit and veg and cutting down on high processed foods) or what you find delicious. However I highly disagree that are few healthy and tasty foods. Perhaps you just haven't tried them?

You definitely do not have to go on a strict diet, you're choosing to.

I'm currently losing weight and last night I had pizza for dinner. I'm eating less than my TDEE so I am still losing weight. You really don't have to do this in the slightest.

"when i lose all the weight, i can go on a balanced diet so i can still have a bit of junk food here and there."

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever you can't just do that now and still lose weight, no reason at all.
Original post by Reality Check
I don't want to sound harsh but does this sound at all realistic? A 'smoothie' for dinner? Every day? For possibly 3 months? More to the point, you're not going to eat the same meals every day for three months, are you?

Jogging on the spot for 30 minutes? Every day? For three months?

It's great you've decided to lose some weight (if you need to), but maybe it would help you to think up some more balanced meal plans - including a variety of lean protein sources, wholegrain starchy carbohydrates and plenty of fruits and vegetables. Eat less foods high in fat, sugar and salt. Nothing is 'banned'.

I'm trying to make it as healthy as possible :frown:
It's better me eating lots of fruits than me eating crisps 24/7.
I just don't know how to diet. I tried this plan today and my blood sugar dropped a lot. I want to enjoy being healthy. No. I haven't said anything about three months?? You're making it up. A month. And then i'm going to start doing other exercises. As for someone who doesn't exercise, this would be a great start. This will prepare me for those intense workouts that make your leg hurt for the next week. I want to lose this weight by july. And i think that is realistic.
Reply 14
Don't have an egg sandwich, have an egg salad or chicken salad instead and use some croutons for carbs.
Also I think your exercise plan could be more intense, sit ups? Push ups? Dumbells? Dancing? Go on a run? A little bit extra every day really adds up
That really depends on what you mean by delicious and healthy. Since I have no idea what you class as healthy (outside the obvious of trying to eat some fruit and veg and cutting down on high processed foods) or what you find delicious. However I highly disagree that are few healthy and tasty foods. Perhaps you just haven't tried them?

You definitely do not have to go on a strict diet, you're choosing to.

I'm currently losing weight and last night I had pizza for dinner. I'm eating less than my TDEE so I am still losing weight. You really don't have to do this in the slightest.

"when i lose all the weight, i can go on a balanced diet so i can still have a bit of junk food here and there."

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever you can't just do that now and still lose weight, no reason at all.

Really? Wow. So i can have coco pops in the morning which is like 400 cals? Every morning?
Original post by zayn008
Don't have an egg sandwich, have an egg salad or chicken salad instead and use some croutons for carbs.
Also I think your exercise plan could be more intense, sit ups? Push ups? Dumbells? Dancing? Go on a run? A little bit extra every day really adds up

Oh thanks!!!
But, if i do that, my legs would hurt for a week and then i'd miss all the time to do workout. If i start with my basics and then do intense workouts, my legs won't hurt as much?
No. I haven't said anything about three months?? You're making it up. A month.

You said you wanted to lose 20lb on this plan. Most people lose weight at a steady rate of 1-2lb per week, meaning it will take 10-20 weeks to lose this weight. Or a minimum of about three months...
Original post by Reality Check
You said you wanted to lose 20lb on this plan. Most people lose weight at a steady rate of 1-2lb per week, meaning it will take 10-20 weeks to lose this weight. Or a minimum of about three months...

35 pounds i said so 4 and half months but yeah i know what you mean. It's unrealistic.
35 pounds i said so 4 and half months but yeah i know what you mean. It's unrealistic.

Sorry to correct you, but you said: '20lb on this plan' - your original quote is below highlighted in red:

I'm 5'8 and i weigh 73 or 74kg (not sure yet)...Then drink lots of water and by 9:30, i'll be sleeping!

I'm sure you will lose the weight with a sensible plan and sufficient time, and I wish you all the best with it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest