The Student Room Group

UK, Netherlands or Germany??

Hi,

I've applied for 5 Unis in the UK and so far I have gotten into Sheffield Hallam and Nottingham Trent. I am also interested in studying in either Germany or the Netherlands as it's quite a bit cheaper. The Netherlands offer many International courses and I am Half German so Germany wouldn't be a problem. I would like to go UK because I grew up in the UK and I feel most welcome/ at home but it is quite a bit more expensive. I believe it costs even more for me as I am currently living in Switzerland and have a German Passport. The question is Which country should I choose and does anyone have any recommendations, Family and Friends all have mixed opinions etc.
Original post by Maxscha
Hi,

I've applied for 5 Unis in the UK and so far I have gotten into Sheffield Hallam and Nottingham Trent. I am also interested in studying in either Germany or the Netherlands as it's quite a bit cheaper. The Netherlands offer many International courses and I am Half German so Germany wouldn't be a problem. I would like to go UK because I grew up in the UK and I feel most welcome/ at home but it is quite a bit more expensive. I believe it costs even more for me as I am currently living in Switzerland and have a German Passport. The question is Which country should I choose and does anyone have any recommendations, Family and Friends all have mixed opinions etc.

I'm planning on going to a trilingual uni in south tyrol, italy. You already speak german and english I guess which is all you need initially. called unibz - not sure if relevant but there you go!
Reply 2
Original post by Maxscha
Hi,

It depends on which subject you’d like to study.

And generally speaking, German universities require you to be more independent (e.g. right from the first semester, you will need to decide which courses to take), while Dutch universities offer more guidance during your undergraduate study (especially in the first year).

Here is an brief example of the guidance system during the first year (at Leiden University):
https://www.student.universiteitleiden.nl/en/study--studying/guidance--advice/study-guidance-and-advisors/mentors-and-tutors/archaeology/archaeology-ba?cf=archaeology&cd=archaeology-ba#tab-2
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Maxscha
Hi,

Holland ist cool. Geh nach Holland.

Quick Reply

Latest