The Student Room Group

WJEC Information & Communication Technology IT3 (LEGACY) 1243/01 - 16 Jun 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AA923
For this Question : A company is considering changing its network. Other than topology issues.Describe in detail three factors that will influence the choice of a network (6)

Answer :
One factor which might influence the choice of a network is the size of the organisation. Small organisations based on site may only need a global wan to meet their needs.

The second factor is considering how the system will be used. The type and number of applications users will require as well as how much data storage space is needed should be considered when deciding on the most suitable network.

The third factor is the integration of existing systems into the network . As networks are not often built from scratch it is important that they are able to fit in with existing systems and protocol and support existing peripherals such as printers already being used.
(Ignore English mistakes )

I'd give that 5/6 - only reason being that it should be 'Existing systems to integrate' for the third factor. this is the exact factor name so you should write this accurately to make sure you get the mark. The extension of the first factor is a little bit rough as a global wan implies the organisation is very large and therefore your extension is contradicting itself. Instead you could say like 'may only need a small LAN to meet their needs'

You appear to be a little confused as to what a LAN and WAN is actually used for. I hope to clear it up with the below examples:

A LAN is, for example, your home network. There are a small number of computers/devices connected (as there would be in a small organisation)

A 'global WAN' would be used by a very large organisation such as Barclays Bank which operates in countries throughout the world. Their systems must of course work in each of these countries.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 81
Did u read my comment after that question lol cuz there was bit I missed ^
Reply 82
Original post by PedanticStudent
I'd give that 5/6 - only reason being that it should be 'Existing systems to integrate' for the third factor. this is the exact factor name so you should write this accurately to make sure you get the mark. The extension of the first factor is a little bit rough as a global wan implies the organisation is very large and therefore your extension is contradicting itself. Instead you could say like 'may only need a small LAN to meet their needs'

You appear to be a little confused as to what a LAN and WAN is actually used for. I hope to clear it up with the below examples:

A LAN is, for example, your home network. There are a small number of computers/devices connected (as there would be in a small organisation)

A 'global WAN' would be used by a very large organisation such as Barclays Bank which operates in countries throughout the world. Their systems must of course work in each of these countries.

Original post by AA923

Oh yes sorry I didn't see that. I'd still take out the word 'only'.

Still, the only thing preventing you from getting all 6 is that you have inaccurately written the name of the factor. After you remedy this, it would be fine.
Reply 84
Oh yes sorry I didn't see that. I'd still take out the word 'only'.

Still, the only thing preventing you from getting all 6 is that you have inaccurately written the name of the factor. After you remedy this, it would be fine.

Thanks man ! Thank you so much :smile:
Reply 85
I have a mock on Friday from topics 1-5
Original post by AA923
I have a mock on Friday from topics 1-5

Good luck for that.

I have a mock tomorrow for topics 1, 2, 3 and 6

Your teacher is moving quick through theory then.
Reply 87
We are at the end of 6 but we are slow on cw though
Reply 88
Good luck for that.

I have a mock tomorrow for topics 1, 2, 3 and 6

Your teacher is moving quick through theory then.

Good luck :smile: and let me know if you are able to look at my topic 5 answers because in need to make sure it will get me top marks !
How far is everyone with coursework?
Reply 90
On start of testing I think
Original post by alevellife123
How far is everyone with coursework?

Done with coursework at full marks
Original post by AA923
Good luck :smile: and let me know if you are able to look at my topic 5 answers because in need to make sure it will get me top marks !

I am starting topic 4 and possibly 5 this weekend. Looking to be ready for papers by the second week of March.

(So far I've done 1, 2, 3 and 6)
Reply 93
I am starting topic 4 and possibly 5 this weekend. Looking to be ready for papers by the second week of March.

(So far I've done 1, 2, 3 and 6)

My problem is that l know the markschemes but it's the " further mark" like sometimes markschemes isn't enough .. do u know what I mean ??
Original post by AA923
My problem is that l know the markschemes but it's the " further mark" like sometimes markschemes isn't enough .. do u know what I mean ??

Yes in a few cases the mark scheme isn't sufficient but fortunately it is clear when this is the case and there aren't too many instances where this happens.

When it does, you could just carry out your own research on the matter to supply the additional detail, for instance, I had to do a google search to find out a bit more about this "Popular Power Project" as the mark scheme doesn't include much.

A good rule of thumb is, if it says "further detail" on the mark scheme, it is ok to assume that you can just put forward your own sort of findings or extension (so long as it is relevant) - If there's no example of what would get an "additional mark" on the scheme, then there's nothing to take precedence over your own extension?
Reply 95
Should we set a goal of how many past papers and topics we should revise per week :smile:?
Original post by AA923
Should we set a goal of how many past papers and topics we should revise per week :smile:?

It's down to what you can personally handle, but you should be hitting the sweet spot of pushing yourself, but doing so without burning out.

We all have different limits and capacities, so all I can really do is illustrate my approaches:

Each week, I do a quick skim of every topic I have covered so far (that only takes about 15 minutes to 30 minutes per topic as the knowledge is already reasonably strong in my memory) - by quick skim I mean just picking a random question and then scribbling down the points from the mark scheme for the question, then just keep doing that until I have covered all the questions for the topic.

Next week, I have Topic 4 and Topic 5 planned. Each topic is to receive three days of my attention, with Topic 7 having the following Monday only as it is very small.

For Half Term, I will then be repeating Topics 1-7 in a greater detail than 'skimming' - ie: answering them in full sentences as I would in an exam. Each day of the half term will be used to revise one topic.

Capture.PNG

There's a screencap of my Google Calendar anyway. (all of the red is ICT) If you aren't using it, then I thoroughly recommend you start as it holds you accountable to work. Without such huge levels of organisation in my work, I don't think I would be doing quite as well. (my GCSE grades were a mix of C's and B's with a couple of A grades, and that was due to not being organised)

However, once you reach the stage where you have adequate to good knowledge of each topic, do go on to do a paper, and if you get about a B grade (70/90) or maybe a C grade (62/90) without the aid of any notes or mark schemes, then I feel this shows you are ready to maintain a routine of one paper per week, with the remainder of the week spent correcting your faults on that paper.

For example, you complete a past paper on Monday and get 62/90, Put some time aside each day (if you can) to brush up on the areas which cost you marks.

Keep doing that and eventually your knowledge will become very strong and you will be making few mistakes on the papers, hopefully to the tune of no more than 15 marks.

Then its just a case of doing your papers as often as you can while the exam draws nearer.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 97
It's down to what you can personally handle, but you should be hitting the sweet spot of pushing yourself, but doing so without burning out.

We all have different limits and capacities, so all I can really do is illustrate my approaches:

Each week, I do a quick skim of every topic I have covered so far (that only takes about 15 minutes to 30 minutes per topic as the knowledge is already reasonably strong in my memory) - by quick skim I mean just picking a random question and then scribbling down the points from the mark scheme for the question, then just keep doing that until I have covered all the questions for the topic.

Next week, I have Topic 4 and Topic 5 planned. Each topic is to receive three days of my attention, with Topic 7 having the following Monday only as it is very small.

For Half Term, I will then be repeating Topics 1-7 in a greater detail than 'skimming' - ie: answering them in full sentences as I would in an exam. Each day of the half term will be used to revise one topic.

Capture.PNG

There's a screencap of my Google Calendar anyway. (all of the red is ICT) If you aren't using it, then I thoroughly recommend you start as it holds you accountable to work. Without such huge levels of organisation in my work, I don't think I would be doing quite as well. (my GCSE grades were a mix of C's and B's with a couple of A grades, and that was due to not being organised)

However, once you reach the stage where you have adequate to good knowledge of each topic, do go on to do a paper, and if you get about a B grade (70/90) or maybe a C grade (62/90) without the aid of any notes or mark schemes, then I feel this shows you are ready to maintain a routine of one paper per week, with the remainder of the week spent correcting your faults on that paper.

For example, you complete a past paper on Monday and get 62/90, Put some time aside each day (if you can) to brush up on the areas which cost you marks.

Keep doing that and eventually your knowledge will become very strong and you will be making few mistakes on the papers, hopefully to the tune of no more than 15 marks.

Then its just a case of doing your papers as often as you can while the exam draws nearer.

I made the most stupid mistake in my mock today i confused wirless netowork with mobile access to the internet
Original post by AA923
I made the most stupid mistake in my mock today i confused wirless netowork with mobile access to the internet

Well now is the time to be making those mistakes.

The more you practice, the less mistakes you are going to make. Just keep at it.

I can thank sheer repetition of the questions for being able to get 100% in my mock.
Reply 99
I have done topics 1-7 so i should be spending 30 minutes on each topic per week ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending