The Student Room Group

Why are a lot of people Islamophobic?

I dont understand why

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There's the definition that means to hate/dislike Muslims or to be prejudice towards Muslims and the more recent one where you are called an Islamaphobe for simply disagreeing with/challenging a Muslim's beliefs. Maybe the latter definition is the reason why? :dontknow:
(edited 7 years ago)
Because of the media.
Original post by Yeezusx
TBH Islam is the problem. Not the media.

lol What's wrong with Islam?
As mentioned it really depends on the definition.
Two reasons.

1. Most people dislike what they do not understand or which they do not agree with.

2. They are fearful of being blown up or gunned down, cos you know that's what us Muslims do.
Original post by AishaGirl
They are fearful of being blown up or gunned down, cos you know that's what us Muslims do.

Now you mention it, I did lose a family friend to a bunch of Muslims in Tunis not all that long ago.
Original post by Willy Pete
Now you mention it, I did lose a family friend to a bunch of Muslims in Tunis not all that long ago.

Do you expect me to feel some kind of guilt or sorrow?

If you want to, I didn't think it was required. Generally pity would be the correct response, but it is up to you on how you react.
Two reasons.

1. Most people dislike what they do not understand or which they do not agree with.

2. They are fearful of being blown up or gunned down, cos you know that's what us Muslims do.

No, that's what jihadists do, and that's not Islam. They warped their religion into something disgusting and unrecognisable. The problem is people can't or won't disassociate between the two, and that's their problem and fault.
Original post by Onde
Muslims may be significantly more likely to do that than average, but that does not make most Muslims killers.

But your chances of dying by an Islamic terrorist attack are extremely low anyway. It makes no sense to be fearful when the probability is so low.
They already are low key racists and just want another excuse to hate on minoritites
If you want to, I didn't think it was required. Generally pity would be the correct response, but it is up to you on how you react.

I'm indifferent... Someone I don't know died, people die.
I'm indifferent... Someone I don't know died, people die.

Ok then.
No, but Muslims as a whole need to recognise why many Westerners feel hostile towards Islam. Mainly, that all recent terror attacks in Europe have been perpetrated by Muslims, in the name of Islam, with theocratic justification from some parts of the Qur'an. No one is saying that "all Muslims" are terrorists, obviously that's incorrect. But it is also undeniable that violence seems to be far more prevalent amongst Muslims too.

Additionally, whenever Islam is (rightly) criticised for issues such as women's rights, gay rights, and general hostility towards outside groups, Muslims instantly take the defensive position and claim they're "not real Muslims", when such views evidently are held by large swathes of the Middle Eastern population, and even a substantial number of people here in Britain. Meanwhile, girls in Germany are being advised to cover up so as not to 'offend' refugees, French publishers dare not make a satirical comic book about religious figures, and people are wondering why people associate Islam with violence and other bad things?

I also find it deeply unsettling that Muslims believe that all non-Muslims are going to burn in hell for eternity, and apparently are fine with this and think it is deserved, simply for not being a Muslim due to being born into a different part of the world. Although, this does of course apply to other religions, but is no less unsettling.

But to address the OP, 'Islamophobia' has essentially taken on the new meaning that anyone who even vaguely questions the tenets of Islam is apparently a monstrous bigot.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm not sure it really matters. Everyone has a right to react however they like.
Original post by Count Bezukhov
No, but Muslims as a whole need to recognise why many Westerners feel hostile towards Islam. Mainly, that all recent terror attacks in Europe have been perpetrated by Muslims, in the name of Islam, with theocratic justification from some parts of the Qur'an. No one is saying that "all Muslims" are terrorists, obviously that's incorrect. But it is also undeniable that violence seems to be far more prevalent amongst Muslims too

If you lived in America would you fear gun owners just because a small handful of gun owners went on shooting sprees?

Additionally, whenever Islam is (rightly) criticised for issues such as women's rights, gay rights, and general hostility towards outside groups, Muslims instantly take the defensive position and claim they're "not real Muslims", when such views evidently are held by large swathes of the Middle Eastern population, and even a substantial number of people here in Britain. Meanwhile, girls in Germany are being advised to cover up so as not to 'offend' refugees, French publishers dare not make a satirical comic book about religious figures, and people are wondering why people associate Islam with violence and other bad things?

I seriously doubt Germany is asking their women to cover up... Link your sources. Also with regards to gay rights and women's right etc we don't concern ourselves with your affairs and you should not concern yourself with our affairs. You say gay marriage is ok, we say it's not... What's the problem?

I also find it deeply unsettling that Muslims believe that all non-Muslims are going to burn in hell for eternity, and apparently are fine with this and think it is deserved, simply for not being a Muslim due to being born into a different part of the world. Although, this does of course apply to other religions, but is no less unsettling.

We don't write the laws of Allah swt.
We don't write the laws of Allah swt.

So who wrote the Quran, if not a man?
Reply 18
Gga
So who wrote the Quran, if not a man?

You know what I mean and don't think you're being smart.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending