The Student Room Group

Hijab problem

I wear the hijab, but my bf doesn't want me to. We're both fairly practising, he prays 5x a day, I don't but Islam plays quite a big role in both our lives even though we're not extremelyyy strictly religious. I just don't get why he doesn't want me to wear it. His answer is 'just'. Muslim guys especially, If you didn't want your girl to wear hijab, why not?

Scroll to see replies

If you want to wear the hijab, wear the hijab. It's your choice.
Original post by Anonymous
I wear the hijab, but my bf doesn't want me to. We're both fairly practising, he prays 5x a day, I don't but Islam plays quite a big role in both our lives even though we're not extremelyyy strictly religious. I just don't get why he doesn't want me to wear it. His answer is 'just'. Muslim guys especially, If you didn't want your girl to wear hijab, why not?

Your bf is a strange guy. Prays 5x but doesn't like the hijab? I have seen this occur before but the guys were irreligious and trying to get the girl away from Islam. So yours is definitely a strange case.
(edited 7 years ago)
If he's not going to give you a sensible answer, ignore him.
Reply 4
Not a guy but maybe he thinks you'd look better without it (I mean that is the point of it afterall). Or with rising islamophobia maybe he doesn't want you to make it obvious what faith you belong to.
Either way, this is odd coming from someone who prays 5 times a day and is 'religious'. I mean if he's that practising he shouldn't be dating you for this long anyways and should have started talking about marriage etc.
If you do decide to marry him would you be comfortable with someone who doesn't respect what you wear? Or someone who seems to be leading you away from God?
Reply 5
Original post by IdeasForLife
Your bf is a strange guy. Prays 5x but doesn't like the hijab? I have seen this occur before but the guys were irreligious and trying to get the girl away from Islam. So yours is definitely a strange case.
i
C'mon now bro, stop responding to obvious trolls.
Reply 6
As you don't feel the need to comply with strict rules like praying salat and not having a relationship outside marriage, I wouldn't worry about optional ones like wearing the hijab. But as you are clearly capable of making your own decisions, you decide. However, despite it being entirely your choice, relationships are all about compromise, so if it means a great deal to him and you are not bothered either way, why not make a small concession? It could benefit you during some future compomise when he doesn't want to do something that you do.

Having a bf isn't very islamic, so it doesn't really matter whether or not you wear hijab. The choice is entirely up to you.
Obvious troll. You don't pray 5 times a day and have a gf and tell her not to wear the hijab.

He wakes up for fajr but does not want his "gf" to wear hijab? Seems legit.
Reply 9
Why are you acting like the Arabs 2000 years ago?? ADAPT and ASSIMILATE.
Original post by Sara_t
Or with rising islamophobia maybe he doesn't want you to make it obvious what faith you belong to.

This.

I'm Muslim, practicing, but wouldn't want my wife to wear a Hijab or for either of us to look "visibly Muslim".

It's not hard to dress modestly without wearing a Hijab/Abaya/Thobe, and wearing clothing which makes you stick out like a sore thumb surely contradicts the modest dress code in Islam - we're supposed to draw attention away from us, not towards us.

If I were living in a Muslim majority country, it wouldn't be a problem and I'd dress according to the customs in that country, but here in the UK, sometimes it's all people see and I don't want that for myself or my wife.
This.

I'm Muslim, practicing, but wouldn't want my wife to wear a Hijab or for either of us to look "visibly Muslim".

It's not hard to dress modestly without wearing a Hijab/Abaya/Thobe, and wearing clothing which makes you stick out like a sore thumb surely contradicts the modest dress code in Islam - we're supposed to draw attention away from us, not towards us.

If I were living in a Muslim majority country, it wouldn't be a problem and I'd dress according to the customs in that country, but here in the UK, sometimes it's all people see and I don't want that for myself or my wife.

misquote
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
But I thought all Muslim women are oppressed and forced to wear the hijab...

Anyways OP in regards to your situation I'd say ditch him.
A real man would
a) Ask for your hand in marriage
b) Bring you closer to God not away from Him
he's supporting his own desires and he probably ain't gonna marry u so just dump him
Original post by Angry Bird
he's supporting his own desires and he probably ain't gonna marry u so just dump him

His own desires?
Original post by IdeasForLife
Yh his sisters wear it, he doesn't want me to wear it when we're out together, but all other times wear it. I'm just confused :s
Reply 16
His own desires?

Probably sexual desires.

Anyways OP, do what you want, you aren't here to please anyone.
He's bought me closer to Islam, and we've talked about marriage briefly..
Original post by HAnwar
But I thought all Muslim women are oppressed and forced to wear the hijab...

Anyways OP in regards to your situation I'd say ditch him.
A real man would
a) Ask for your hand in marriage
b) Bring you closer to God not away from Him

This.

Well, I'm proud of being a Muslim and want to show that. I couldn't care less if I don't fit in and if I stand out as being a 'muslim', cuz that's who I am. I'm not harming anyone by wearing it so if others don't like it they can do one.
Original post by MrMarket
Probably sexual desires.

Anyways OP, do what you want, you aren't here to please anyone.

To understand what he's thinking, why he doesn't want me to wear it when I'm with him
Original post by Sara_t
Not a guy but maybe he thinks you'd look better without it (I mean that is the point of it afterall). Or with rising islamophobia maybe he doesn't want you to make it obvious what faith you belong to.
Either way, this is odd coming from someone who prays 5 times a day and is 'religious'. I mean if he's that practising he shouldn't be dating you for this long anyways and should have started talking about marriage etc.
If you do decide to marry him would you be comfortable with someone who doesn't respect what you wear? Or someone who seems to be leading you away from God?
I've worn it for as long as I can remember, so feel uncomfortable without wearing it out now if that makes sense. He doesn't want me to wear it with him and when we're out together. Other times he wants me to, I don't get it
Original post by AishaGirl
Obvious troll. You don't pray 5 times a day and have a gf and tell her not to wear the hijab.

He wakes up for fajr but does not want his "gf" to wear hijab? Seems legit.

Exactly. I don't understand why these people have a daily need to bash muslims and islam. I mean look at me. I'm from Germany. My prime minister let in 1.2 million migrants into the country without checking if they have passports, AIDS, HIV or links to terrorists. Many of these migrant muslim males went on to rape, sexually abuse and even murdered german women but these news have been intentionally left out by the media due to instructions from higher authorities.

Does this mean I hate Islam or muslims? No. It's only a small handful of muslims that do heinous things like this so it's wrong to target all muslims. I just wish people could stop bashing muslims and islam on this forum. It's getting really boring.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending