The Student Room Group

Trump-Australia Feud Harms Unique Relationship

U.S.-Australian ties have fallen to a new low following reports of a very tense phone conversation (read: argument?) between Donald Trump and Malcolm Turbull (Australian PM).

The phone call was cut short after 25 minutes because Trump repudiated the refugee swap deal the U.S. reached with Australia in 2016, where the U.S. would resettle 1250 asylum seekers (held on the Pacific islands) and Australia would resettle refugees from El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras.

Trump is reported to have described the deal as "the worst deal ever", and accused Australia of trying to export the "next Boston bombers" to the U.S...

Political analysts said such acrimony was unprecedented, surpassing even the difficult relations between former U.S. President Richard Nixon and then Australian Prime Minister Gough Whitlam, who pulled Australian troops out of the Vietnam War.

"Even that was always done in the language of foreign policy niceties," said Harry Phillips, a political analyst of 40 years experience at Edith Cowan and Curtin universities in Perth.

Trump, in typical fashion, tweeted about the conversation: "Do you believe it? The Obama Administration agreed to take thousands of illegal immigrants from Australia. Why? I will study this dumb deal."

Trump also reportedly boasted to Turnbull about "the size of his election victory" (someone ought to tell him he lost the popular vote and drew a tiny inauguration crowd).

The implications of this could reach as far the 'Five Eyes' relationship - a unique intelligence sharing community, comprised of the U.S., U.K., Australia, Canada and New Zealand, with Reuters reporting:

The apparent breakdown between Washington and Canberra that has developed over the resettlement deal could have serious repercussions.

Australia and the United States are among the five nations that make up the Five Eyes group, the world's leading intelligence-sharing network.

The United States also plans to send extra military aircraft to Australia's tropical north this year as part of a U.S. Marines deployment that will bolster its military presence close to the disputed South China Sea. Australia is also one of 10 U.S. allies purchasing Lockheed Martin's F-35 fighter jet programme.

Trump told Turnbull that their conversation had been "the worst so far" (of his conversations with foreign heads of states), which doesn't seem very diplomatic.

Source (Reuters).
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Thoughts?
So every refugee is a potential 'terrorist'? **** outta here,trump
Trump seems to have a knack for pissing people off.
The fact he is tweeting about something like this in that manner on his personal account.

But well, the strongman leader is an emphatic pull. Just look at Russia or Turkey, people love their strong men there, too. Or Duterte in the Phillipines. In today's social media centric world this is the kind of guy simple minded people will be drawn to.
Original post by queen-bee
So every refugee is a potential 'terrorist'? **** outta here,trump

Sure, not all of them are, but one terrorist among a couple thousand refugees is still one terrorist threatening the lives of innocent civilians in the US.

We simply can't blindly take in refugees from these parts of the world because it has been proven in the recent past that ISIS is using the refugee crisis to smuggle attackers - e.g PARIS.

Why are you struggling to understand this concept?
Original post by Dodgypirate
Sure, not all of them are, but one terrorist among a couple thousand refugees is still one terrorist threatening the lives of innocent civilians in the US.

We simply can't blindly take in refugees from these parts of the world because it has been proven in the recent past that ISIS is using the refugee crisis to smuggle attackers - e.g PARIS.

Why are you struggling to understand this concept?

'From these parts of the world'? are we lesser than you,referring to us as if we are feral,**** outta here with that orientalist ********
'From these parts of the world'? are we lesser than you,referring to us as if we are feral,**** outta here with that orientalist ********

lol at how you completely ignore his argument and start calling names and over reacting.

WARN-TORN AREAS OF THE WORLD THAT HARBOUR BLOODTHIRSTY TERRORISTS THEN.

Wind your neck in sister.
Original post by Zargabaath
lol at how you completely ignore his argument and start calling names and over reacting.

Good
Good

Thankfully, with people like you arguing for this, we wont have any problems persuading the public not to support the import torrents of socially conservative, generally unskilled people into the country :lol:
Original post by Zargabaath
Thankfully, with people like you arguing for this, we wont have any problems persuading the public not to support the import torrents of socially conservative, generally unskilled people into the country :lol:

Don't get your hopes up too soon
Don't get your hopes up too soon habibi

You do realise you're acting like a spoilt, narcissistic baby, right?
(edited 7 years ago)
WARN-TORN AREAS OF THE WORLD THAT HARBOUR BLOODTHIRSTY TERRORISTS THEN.

Wind your neck in sister.

More white homegrown terrorists kill and they kill far more than people from these war torn countries. With these views, not only are you opposing freedom, you are also no better than the people you despise.
You do realise you're acting like a spoilt baby, right?

I'm an only child,So was used to getting whatever I wanted. Sorry
So every refugee is a potential 'terrorist'?

Well, yes of course they are. Just as everyone else is a potential terrorist. Someone, somewhere is a tiny baby who will, one day, turn into a murder. Not all refugees are actual terrorists, though nobody said they were.

'From these parts of the world'? are we lesser than you,

Collectively, that is a possibility. The fact is these are countries that are stuck in mediaeval times, as far as moral development is concerned; have not developed their societies beyond superstitious behaviour control; have authoritarian or religious governments (or political chaos); that don't have democracy; that persecute people for indulging in private in the wrong kind of sexual relations; that suppress and abuse women and that have a record of carrying random violence outside their borders. The people wanted or allowed this to happen. There are others that should be candidates for similar treatment.

Kuwait has apparently imposed a similar ban to the one promulgated by Trump.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm an only child,So was used to getting whatever I wanted. Sorry

Don't get your hopes up too soon habibi

Don't need to get my hopes up, it's confirmed. 49% of the American public agree with Trump's ban, the same likely applies over here :smile:

I always get what I want :wink:
I always get what I want :wink:

You'll also get what's coming.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending