The Student Room Group

Cyclists Society MK2

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by alexs2602
Got a new bike recently. Cube attain SL Disc. 105 groupset. Hydraulic disc brakes. Aluminium frame.

Very nice!
So both of these bikes are pretty much good for value but which should I pick to purchase? Both have my size and I have the money to buy either but I'm left stranded as to the one to buy? Both have the same groupset but the other is a carbon frame which is not so less in weight than the other so it doesn't bother me. Bike 1: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ghost-nivolet-tour-3-road-bike-2016/rp-prod141273 Bike 2: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ghost-nivolet-tour-lc-2-road-bike-2016/rp-prod141276 Thanks
Original post by dhr90
Very nice!

Thanks, man. Managed to get everything I wanted at a good price compared to the higher prices you tend to see for this kind of spec, especially with current year models. Seems to ride pretty well but I've been so busy with work I haven't had much chance to get out on it. Once exams are over I'll have time.
Original post by BoswellandPercy
So both of these bikes are pretty much good for value but which should I pick to purchase? Both have my size and I have the money to buy either but I'm left stranded as to the one to buy? Both have the same groupset but the other is a carbon frame which is not so less in weight than the other so it doesn't bother me. Bike 1: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ghost-nivolet-tour-3-road-bike-2016/rp-prod141273 Bike 2: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ghost-nivolet-tour-lc-2-road-bike-2016/rp-prod141276 Thanks
What exactly is it you're looking for from a bike? 105 group set min, I assume. Rim brakes? Open to disc brakes? What are you going to be using it for? What kind of geometry are you looking for? I'd probably be more inclined to go for the carbon but not for the weight. There are going to be people who are going to be able to give a better answer than me but I think this is important information they'll need to know. On that note, what bike are you coming from? When I was picking my bike out I was told not to worry too much about weight. My bike is 9.3kg but it has disc brakes.
Just an FYI. Cycling on Eurosport kicks off tomorrow with the Dubai Tour. Eurosport are running an offer until the end of the month (also tomorrow) a one year subscription for £20 (normally £60)- there's a lot of cycling to be watched on there through the year (as well as plenty of other sport too).
Reply 304
Just discovered that the BIKE channel is freesat :smile: hoping to find some good mtb on there. Tempted by a trip to a trail centre, maybe Bike Park Wales this year. Need to get out on my bike more this year, and get the guys from work into some more downhill stuff. XC may get the legs spinning, but a heavy bike with fat tyres is no fun!
anyone upgraded their road bike rims from the stock ones to a better pair?

I'm thinking of going for the Campagnolo Scirocco 35 pair to upgrade from the stock maddux r3.0 that came with my cannondale.

I get that expensive wheels are more stiffer for accelerating but does it help improve your rolling speed too? It would be nice if my average speed would increase by 1 or 2 mph
Original post by James A

I'm thinking of going for the Campagnolo Scirocco 35 pair to upgrade from the stock maddux r3.0 that came with my cannondale.

I get that expensive wheels are more stiffer for accelerating but does it help improve your rolling speed too? It would be nice if my average speed would increase by 1 or 2 mph

Say you average 16mph over a ride, a 2mph increase is a 12.5% gain - that's a huge amount. Wheels are absolutely worth upgrading but don't expect miracles. The Scirocco 35s look to be very popular so you probably can't go wrong with them but ultimately they're still a budget wheelset at £220 and 1700+ grams.
What are the appeals of various disciplines of cycling? I pretty much mostly cycle on the road. Just got a proper road bike fairly recently. I have a mountain bike but I haven't really used it for mountain biking and, ofc, there are a number of subdisciplines. Related to road cycling there's obviously; cyclocross, gravel bikes and the like. Mountain biking has always seemed fun but I've never known much about it, now I'm wondering whether cyclocross may be better for me and I can't say I really know enough to know what would suit me or what I should try.
Original post by ouchthathurts
Just an FYI. Cycling on Eurosport kicks off tomorrow with the Dubai Tour. Eurosport are running an offer until the end of the month (also tomorrow) a one year subscription for £20 (normally £60)- there's a lot of cycling to be watched on there through the year (as well as plenty of other sport too).

oooh nice tip! I might subscribe

Original post by James A

I haven't - all my spare money is being spent on cycling trips haha
my boyfriend got some campagnolo rims (he's also on a cannondale so possibly had rhe maddux too) and he has felt a big difference, he reckons he's a bit faster but I don't know if that's a little bit that he rode more cos he was excited about them, he says the ride feels nicer
Original post by doodle_333
oooh nice tip! I might subscribe

I haven't - all my spare money is being spent on cycling trips haha
my boyfriend got some campagnolo rims (he's also on a cannondale so possibly had rhe maddux too) and he has felt a big difference, he reckons he's a bit faster but I don't know if that's a little bit that he rode more cos he was excited about them, he says the ride feels nicer

awesome, yeah I think alot of the Cannondale bikes sold come with those cheap stock rims (for that profit margin :colone: ). I'm defo considering it and I'm a casual road cyclist so I don't need anything fancy but it should improve the ride a bit :smile:

I spend alot of my money on energy gels :laugh: I think I need to start making some rice cakes to take on my short journeys !
Managed to get out on the bike for first time in age (been watt bike lyfe). Planet X thermals are awesome
Original post by James A
awesome, yeah I think alot of the Cannondale bikes sold come with those cheap stock rims (for that profit margin :colone: ). I'm defo considering it and I'm a casual road cyclist so I don't need anything fancy but it should improve the ride a bit :smile:

I spend alot of my money on energy gels :laugh: I think I need to start making some rice cakes to take on my short journeys !

ah yes... bars and sports drinks for me, I can't tolerate gels at all... I do switch it up with sandwiches/dates/fig newtons if I ride more than 60 miles though, I can't manage too many carb loaded things before I puke (learned that on my first century... fun times)

Yeah, I've still got my cheap rims :frown: although the wheels are getting pretty done in so I might just have to upgrade myself at some point soon... once I've paid for a trip to majorca...
Original post by Angry cucumber
Managed to get out on the bike for first time in age (been watt bike lyfe). Planet X thermals are awesome

Jealous! I'm getting out on every half way decent day possible... problem is the fog here :frown: wind, rain, cold I can deal with but I only just got my health insurance sorted out so haven't been able to risk it if the visibility is poor
Reply 313
What are the appeals of various disciplines of cycling? I pretty much mostly cycle on the road. Just got a proper road bike fairly recently. I have a mountain bike but I haven't really used it for mountain biking and, ofc, there are a number of subdisciplines. Related to road cycling there's obviously; cyclocross, gravel bikes and the like. Mountain biking has always seemed fun but I've never known much about it, now I'm wondering whether cyclocross may be better for me and I can't say I really know enough to know what would suit me or what I should try.

for me xc/am/dh gets me out of towns, gets the adrenaline pumping and essentially I guess I just find it fun even if I'm not going as far, or as fast as on the road or others. you get CX and gravel racers (the same thing really) which are really beefed up road bikes that can take a little bit of light offroad, then you can go full off road with MTB and all the other subdivisions.

Considered putting some slimmer tyres on your mtb and doing some gravel racing/cross country?

In mountain biking there's the three traditional competitive categories: cross country, downhill and freeriding, along with the fairly new enduro. Within them there's endless subcatergories: all mountain, trail, (non) lift-assisted enduro, gravity enduro, megavalanche, bike park, dirt jump, urban dh etc.

Then there's also leisure cyclist, bike packers, adventure cycling...

I think cyclocross is a little less accessible as it's, afaik, race based, whereas mtb is just riding any single track. It can be as dangerous or relaxing as you like. One of the main appeals to me is it can be technically challenging and fun with relatively little risk compared to that involved in road cycling for the same buzz.

Best place to start is getting out to a trail centre and having a go, ideally with experienced riders.

Original post by Angry cucumber

I rate them too, but their "no nonsense pricing" annoys me no end. You never know if it's a deal or the price will half the next day.
(edited 7 years ago)
While wheel upgrades obviously help a bit, it's not magic haha. Although the switch from fulcrums to campag shamals has been pretty sweet.

Mallorca in just over 2 weeks :woo:
Got a couple of purchases in mind but they rely on each other which makes my choices more difficult. So I need a new saddlebag and could do with a better rear light. I was looking at a topeak aero wedge small. I was also looking at the lezyne strip drive and lezyne micro drive. Problem is my saddle isn't very high so there isn't a ton of space with the saddlebag for a rear light. Meaning the strip light would be too big, which I do prefer(in terms of how it looks and flashing a series of LEDs, rather than one repeatedly).

Any thoughts? A different saddlebag recommendation? The micro or strip drive? A different light?
Reply 317
Got a couple of purchases in mind but they rely on each other which makes my choices more difficult. So I need a new saddlebag and could do with a better rear light. I was looking at a topeak aero wedge small. I was also looking at the lezyne strip drive and lezyne micro drive. Problem is my saddle isn't very high so there isn't a ton of space with the saddlebag for a rear light. Meaning the strip light would be too big, which I do prefer(in terms of how it looks and flashing a series of LEDs, rather than one repeatedly).

Any thoughts? A different saddlebag recommendation? The micro or strip drive? A different light?

If you're fixed on that saddle bag, then that fabric tag bit just below the hi viz strip is there so you can attach a rear light with a belt clip style attachment. Got to be a lezyne light out there that does that I'm sure, I know Cateye do them at any rate. Lezyne lights are great bits of kit whatever you choose though!
Reply 318

I have the beefier strip drive pro and nothing to say but positive things about it, it's really quite bright and a suitable mode for any kind of time.
I changed to a saddle bag that wraps around your saddle rails, leaving seat tube free - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-road-caddy/
Anyone else getting super sick of the weather? I live on the coast in a really flat area so it's always pretty windy but seriously, it's been 3 weeks straight of 40-60km gusts. Everyday has been freezing (and temperatures have only been above 0 for about 2 weeks) and every other day is rainy or way too foggy. I've been skipping rides in favour of other work outs (running or bouldering) but I'm going back to Majorca in May so need to get serious about training, I've barely done anything this year. A 50-60 mile ride is really pushing me hard right now which is really not good enough. Am I just being a total wimp about the weather? When do you guys opt to stay home.

Quick Reply

Latest