The Student Room Group

Why are a lot of people Islamophobic?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _gcx
@AishaGirl

This is just a general enquiry, but do you recognise any connection between Islamic teachings and terrorism?

I believe there are individuals that go to the extreme either because they are brain washed or because they have mental issues.

You do realise that of the 1.6billion Muslims on Earth, less than 0.1% of them are terrorists? Some might have anti western views or whatever but they respect the laws and do not massacre innocent people.

Let's not forget that governments can commit acts of terrorism as well, like bombing an innocent country to dust and killing magnitudes more innocents then all terrorist attacks by muslims combined.
Original post by _gcx
@AishaGirl

This is just a general enquiry, but do you recognise any connection between Islamic teachings and terrorism?

Will be interesting to see if she responds to this or ignores it. Anyone who can't see the link between Islam and terroism is in denial. Most morons tend to respond with the no true Scotsman fallacy.

ISISAttacks_AttackCount.png
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BigYoSpeck
Ok, fear of something that has happened, and can happen again isn't irrational. I agreed with you on placing more fear on it than something more likely to happen being a product of manipulation. But terrorist attacks have and can happen. That is a valid fear they can happen. Just because something is more dangerous, doesn't mean you shouldn't be concerned over something less dangerous.

I have fully comprehensive insurance for my car. It's more likely I'll be in an accident than it being stolen or set on fire, I still insure it against fire and theft though.

Well I guess your right, I guess it's rational and logical to fear an asteroid falling on your head too. Time to expand your insurance plan.

Yes 100% of the Muslim people I know are currently of no threat to me or people I know. But they believe in things that I disagree with and are fundamentally incompatible with my own, and western ideology on the whole. That they are currently powerless to do anything about it means they are relatively benign. But I still hold a rational concern that they have beliefs based upon an ideology that includes violence and oppression.

Do not concern yourself with their beliefs. So their beliefs are drastically different to yours, so what? Besides they can't be that different if you, an open atheist are friends with them.

Relax dude stop being paranoid.
Original post by AishaGirl
I believe there are individuals that go to the extreme either because they are brain washed or because they have mental issues.

You do realise that of the 1.6billion Muslims on Earth, less than 0.1% of them are terrorists? Some might have anti western views or whatever but they respect the laws and do not massacre innocent people.

Let's not forget that governments can commit acts of terrorism as well, like bombing an innocent country to dust and killing magnitudes more innocents then all terrorist attacks by muslims combined.

Purely blaming the extremists is a typical response. However, as Sam Harris once cleverly pointed out, it's the extremist from religions with inherently violent ideas who kill people. For instance, a Muslim who adheres to a fundemental/ extreme version of Islam such (such as Wahabbism) will want to spread his ideology through violence.

However compare this to Jainism, where the central tenets are non-violence and harmlessness. An extreme jainist will go out of their way to prevent any suffering or death, no matter how miniscule. This means breathing and drinking through mesh cloth, so as to not swallow a fly, or calculating every single steps so as not to step on an ant. Most Jainist don't do such behaviours, only the extremists.

The more extreme or radicalised a Jainist is, the less we should fear. The more extreme or radicalised a Muslim is, the more we should fear. Therefore problem is not extremists per se. It's the central violent teachings in Islam.
(edited 7 years ago)
I believe there are individuals that go to the extreme either because they are brain washed (1,2) or because they have mental issues.(3)

You do realise that of the 1.6billion Muslims on Earth, less than 0.1% of them are terrorists? (4) Some might have anti western views (5) or whatever but they respect the laws and do not massacre innocent people. (6)

Let's not forget that governments can commit acts of terrorism as well, like bombing an innocent country to dust and killing magnitudes more innocents then all terrorist attacks by muslims combined (7)

Ignoring the fact that you dodged my question completely,

Are extreme views coherent with, or frowned upon, by Islam?

Define "brain-washed".

Not all extremists have mental/emotional issues, that is an absolutely absurd claim/

This is completely dodging the question.

I don't care about Anti-Western views. They are entitled to hold them. I could be perceived as Anti-Western due to my political views.

Yes, I know. I am not saying all Muslims are terrorists. Very few people make that argument. I'm saying that there is a connection between terrorism and the scripture itself. (Jihad for example)

I agree here.

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DeHumanisation
They dont have the time or the inclination to look beyond the tabloid dross; they swallow up all the propaganda lock stock and barrel. Plus they wouldn't have the morality to really understand the benefits of salat, zakat, dawah, shahada etc

Can you provide examples of this propaganda?

Who are you to question someone's morality? What makes your morality correct, and theirs incorrect?

Well I guess your right, I guess it's rational and logical to fear an asteroid falling on your head too. Time to expand your insurance plan.

I do fear that it's a very real disaster that could happen. I assume you wouldn't fear it because come armageddon you will be judged to be worthy of paradise, but I don't believe in that so I want existing life to continue and welcome the scientific research and progress that could avert it.

Do not concern yourself with their beliefs. So their beliefs are drastically different to yours, so what? Besides they can't be that different if you, an open atheist are friends with them.

Relax dude stop being paranoid.

Why do you concern yourself with my concerns of the Islamic ideology? I wouldn't ever initiate force against you, so what that the things that concern me are drastically different to you. Relax and stop being paranoid.
Original post by habeas.corpus
Purely blaming the extremists is a typical response. However, as Sam Harris once cleverly pointed out, it's the extremist from religions with inherently violent ideas who kill people. For instance, a Muslim who adheres to a fundemental/ extreme version of Islam such (such as Wahabbism) will want to spread his ideology through violence.

However compare this to Jainism, where the central tenets are non-violence and harmlessness. An extreme jainist will go out of their way to prevent any suffering or death, no matter how miniscule. This means breathing and drinking through mesh cloth, so as to not swallow a fly, or calculating every single steps so as not to step on an ant. Most Jainist don't do such behaviours, only the extremists.

The more extreme or radicalised a Jainist is, the less we should fear. The more extreme or radicalised a Muslim is, the more we should fear. Therefore problem is not extremists per se. It's the central violent teachings in Islam.

Interesting point.
Original post by _gcx
Ignoring the fact that you dodged my question completely

I answered your question. I said terrorist attacks can be traced back to certain verses in the Quran but these verses are often taken out of context and the terrorists who act based on those verses often do not understand what the verse means.

I also never said ALL extremists have mental issues, please don't put words in my mouth.
Original post by S.olk
I think the issue is that the media and our politicians stir up uneccessary fear in people in regards to Islam. No one really wants to find out what Islam is really about-
because no one knows what Islam is really about.

There is not one Islam : there are many. And they may totally disagree not only in doctrine and practices, but also on who is a Muslim and who isn't.

So, while we can of course focus on some sort of "mainstream" (both for Sunnis and for Shias) it's next to impossible to judge Islam as a whole

best
Original post by BigYoSpeck
Why do you concern yourself with my concerns of the Islamic ideology? I wouldn't ever initiate force against you, so what that the things that concern me are drastically different to you. Relax and stop being paranoid.

I'm pretty sure you quoted me first, you concerned yourself with my opinions, not the other way around.

You do realise that of the 1.6billion Muslims on Earth, less than 0.1% of them are terrorists?.
So, we will have to deal with less than 1.6 million Muslim terrorists

well, that's a huge relief

best
OK, let's all be brutally honest here, Muslims and non Muslims alike and say it like it is. Muslims should NEVER have been allowed to settle in the West in the first place in the 1950's and '60's. Their ideology and beliefs are incompatible with the West. The two sides live in a parallel existence. Because they have to, not necessarily because they want to.
Original post by mariachi

best

99.9% of which are in middle eastern countries where your interference is not wanted. Let the Muslims of those countries and their governments deal with them.

we will have to deal with
I repeat, let those countries deal with them. The ones that are in the west or come to the west, let the west deal with them.
Reply 74
Original post by markova21
OK, let's all be brutally honest here, Muslims and non Muslims alike and say it like it is. Muslims should NEVER have been allowed to settle in the West in the first place in the 1950's and '60's. Their ideology and beliefs are incompatible with the West. The two sides live in a parallel existence. Because they have to, not necessarily because they want to.

Lol the ignorance. Maybe you shouldn't have invaded the Middle East
Reply 75
The truth is people are just ignorant, maybe it has a lot to do with upbringing. The statistics say it all lol, you're more likely to die falling out of your bed/from lightning/by a toddler with a gun than from islamic extremism. Criticize the religion if you wish, but saying "because Muslims bomb things bla bla bla" is an extremely stupid thing to say. People just need to interact with Muslims. I'm grateful for being raised in London, so many ethnicities, races, religions. So fk off with your ignorance
Original post by zezno
Lol the ignorance. Maybe you shouldn't have invaded the Middle East

*I* haven't invaded anyone, thank you very much. I hear this all the time. So what you mean is, and be honest; that you all come here to punish us? That your grandparents came here, not to better themselves, but out of hatred of Imperialist Britain? Be honest; is that really what Muslims think?
So, we will have to deal with

I'm assuming this is your solution?

Reply 78
Original post by markova21
*I* haven't invaded anyone, thank you very much. I hear this all the time. So what you mean is, and be honest; that you all come here to punish us? That your grandparents came here, not to better themselves, but out of hatred of Imperialist Britain? Be honest; is that really what Muslims think?

You're saying Muslims should have never come to the West LOL. So okay you haven't invaded everyone, but you generalise all Muslims? I was born here, many people come just to live a better and peaceful life. Shut up with your ignorance
Reply 79

best

Actually it's less than 0.1%. Your view on Muslims is ridiculous. Typical loner

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending