The Student Room Group

Do opposites attract?

Do you think it's true?
Reply 1
Dunno, a bee is pretty much the opposite to me, but I've never shagged one.

I have tried though; they just tell me to buzz off.
Reply 2
Original post by Davalla
Dunno, a bee is pretty much the opposite to me, but I've never shagged one.

I have tried though; they just tell me to buzz off.

funni/10
Only in physics

Tbh that phrase doesn't work because how do you define opposite in terms of people.
Reply 4
Original post by SuperHuman98
Only in physics

Tbh that phrase doesn't work because how do you define opposite in terms of people.

Two very different people
No
Someone who welcomes all races with open arms wont be attracted to someone who wants some other race to die in a hole.....

Some opposites i suppose but many no :P
No.
Reply 8
To a certain extent.

Me and my bf are polar opposite on some minor things like I love horrors, he hates them. I'm social, he isn't. I like exercise, he hates it. I like going out, he prefers staying in. Those things are fine to be different on but when it comes to the major things in life like we both feel the same about marriage, kids etc I think that is essential to agree on and one thing you definitely can't be opposite on.
I think if some opposites were to attract it would have more to do with physical attraction.
Overall I'd say having similarities is the bedrock to a good relationship.
Original post by Onde
In terms of the Big Five personality scale, the best relationships are between those who both have higher levels of agreeableness and conscientiousness compared to average, and lower levels of neuroticism.

In terms of Jungian personality types, it has been said that (not backed by any actual empirical research):
introverted intuition types pair well with extroverted sensing types
introverted feeling types pair well with extroverted thinking types
introverted sensing types pair well with extroverted intuition types
introverted thinking types pair well with extroverted feeling types

According to OKCupid, the the following three questions are the best predictors of a successful relationship (with successful couples generally answering the same way):

Do you like horror movies?

Have you ever traveled around another country alone?

Wouldn't it be fun to chuck it all and go live on a sailboat?

https://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/the-best-questions-for-first-dates/

Interesting :holmes:

Original post by Kravence
No

Nice and succinct.

Original post by Toasticide
Someone who welcomes all races with open arms wont be attracted to someone who wants some other race to die in a hole.....

Some opposites i suppose but many no :P

...which races? :colonhash:

Spoiler

Original post by hezzlington
No.

ok
Original post by Laeliakiwi
Interesting :holmes:

Nice and succinct.

...which races? :colonhash:

Spoiler

ok

I meant just races in general, none in particular :smile:
maybe races isn't a good example. How about a very kind muslim and some stupid guy who thinks all muslims are terrorists and deserve to die? (no offence to any muslims by the way this is just an example, i'm not racist in any way)
It can be but not in all cases.
Sometimes, but not in the case of Trump and May.
Opposite in certain aspects maybe, not completely different people in all aspects tho. I don't see me boning the Queen anytime soon, for example.

Original post by Onde
According to OKCupid, the the following three questions are the best predictors of a successful relationship (with successful couples generally answering the same way):

Do you like horror movies?

Have you ever traveled around another country alone?

Wouldn't it be fun to chuck it all and go live on a sailboat?

You know the more I think about this one the more it seems to make some kind of sense....although I'm not sure why
Hope so tbh, I want the next person I'm with to be a really calm and level-headed person, which isn't at all like me :lol:
Yes. That's why i'm a narcissist, because I can't decide who I am everyday and sometimes i'm the opposite.
Like @Spock's Socks (PRSOM :frown: ) says I think it can work as long as you agree on the main things; marriage,money and kids.
There's not many minor differences between us, just our beliefs on the afterlife and our feelings towards violent film and tv mainly off the top of my head (he loves the walking dead for example and I hate it, but I ve always made the conscious effort to watch one episode of something he likes to try and compromise but that was too far)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending