The Student Room Group

Should BTECs be scrapped?

I think BTECs should be scrapped and the money saved should go into subsidising apprenticeship schemes.

BTECs do not provide the level of education that an A level does. It is far less academic and it is a mockery of this country's fine education system. If you're incapable of studying for A levels then you shouldn't be looking at further education, you and the country are better off if you choose to go into full time work or an apprenticeship.

Now I get this whole "buh buh buh even Oxford accepts BTECs!!!!" This actually helps my point. If a student is capable of getting into top unis then theyre also capable of doing a levels provided they put more work. We need equal grounding for all students. BTECs should not be seen as an alternative to A levels for bright students.

Whilst top BTEC students will go to somewhat alright unis, the vast majority end up at some crap uni like manchester met. Who's going to employ you if you go there? And then theres the BTECs who dont even go uni, tragic.

All in all the whole BTEC scheme isnt something that such a developed country should be offering. It's a waste of money and when you compare it to countries like Germany and Singapore and even the US, the BTEC scheme is a complete joke. Moreover BTEC students are actually better off leaving school and going into work.

Scroll to see replies

Moved to Educational Debate
well isn't this a BTEC hater...

To the OP,

with btec courses we can get relevant work experience for our courses - the college/sixth form often has links to businesses / companies that support the college and may let their students come do work experience.
A company is more likely to hire someone with knowledge & experience in that field (if the btec is relevant to the job advertised), the job applicant will therefore have a better chance than your random A Level selection.
By the time you have graduated and if you don't have work experience, the bteccer who has work experience in the field/subject has a better chance + get more references etc.
not to mention we can keep our hobbies/interests doing a BTEC
your grades don't matter in the real world. wake up.

Sincerely. A BTeccer.

ps. what is your thought on Apprenticeships?
Reply 3
bump
Reply 4
Original post by Tiger Rag
Moved to Educational Debate

Should've moved it to the Recycling Bin, old bean.
Original post by Davalla

Sorry :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by bizzy_penguin
well isn't this a BTEC hater...

To the OP,

with btec courses we can get relevant work experience for our courses - the college/sixth form often has links to businesses / companies that support the college and may let their students come do work experience.
A company is more likely to hire someone with knowledge & experience in that field (if the btec is relevant to the job advertised), the job applicant will therefore have a better chance than your random A Level selection.
By the time you have graduated and if you don't have work experience, the bteccer who has work experience in the field/subject has a better chance + get more references etc.
not to mention we can keep our hobbies/interests doing a BTEC
your grades don't matter in the real world. wake up.

Sincerely. A BTeccer.

ps. what is your thought on Apprenticeships?

A levels are harder and more respected than BTECs. A level students are also equally capable of getting good work experience and there are also work experience opps that only allow A level students.
BTEC doesnt guarantee work experience nor does it mean a level students cant get the same amount of work experience if not even better work experience. Not that <18 work experience even means much,
Further education isnt about doing hobbies, besides a level students do hobbies and extra stuff too.
As i said, BTEC doesnt guarantee work experience at all and most A level students get work exp anyway. Your point is invalid.

A level maths and physics students >>>>>>>> BTEC engineering.

I think apprenticeships are excellent and the scrapping of BTECs should mean that apprenticeship schemes will get huge subsidies.
You opened a new account just for this You dont come out of it well.
Reply 8
Original post by Davalla

You got anything to say because all I see is a butthurt BTEC student.
Reply 9
Original post by 999tigger
You opened a new account just for this You dont come out of it well.

I want more educational reform, this is just a start.
Original post by jesus24
You got anything to say because all I see is a butthurt BTEC student.

My Dad's harder than your Dad.
Original post by jesus24
A levels are harder and more respected than BTECs. A level students are also equally capable of getting good work experience and there are also work experience opps that only allow A level students.
BTEC doesnt guarantee work experience nor does it mean a level students cant get the same amount of work experience if not even better work experience. Not that <18 work experience even means much,
Further education isnt about doing hobbies, besides a level students do hobbies and extra stuff too.
As i said, BTEC doesnt guarantee work experience at all and most A level students get work exp anyway. Your point is invalid.

A level maths and physics students >>>>>>>> BTEC engineering.

I think apprenticeships are excellent and the scrapping of BTECs should mean
that apprenticeship schemes will get huge subsidies.

I'm not completely dumb thank you. I did AS Levels last year (BBD). I was like you OP - didn't like the thought of vocational / btec subjects for your very reasons.
I left sixth form because my sixth form lacked the facilities/support/& didn't like it generally

Where is the proof certain W/E opportunities only offer to A Level students?(what is your source basically?)
If the BTEC is in the required subject for the w/e then it should still be offered.

A BTEC does guarantee work experience - some courses require you to do a set no. of hours in a relevant field for you to pass.
Original post by Davalla

@Tiger Rag I agree with this poster ^^.
(edited 7 years ago)
I got a BTEC (the GCSE equivalent level) just for turning up to an outside of school club for a couple of years and doing a few easy exams. No drama. No need to hate, is what it is.
Original post by jesus24
I want more educational reform, this is just a start.

Doesnt sound like educational reform more like academic snobbery and arrogance. If you really want reform, then state your case to the department of education rather than on a forum where people wont really care.

What exp[erience do you have of BTECS? have you done them yourself? Do you teach them? Are you an admissions officer?
Original post by jesus24
A levels are harder and more respected than BTECs.

So what would you say to BTECs becoming as hard as A levels (if they aren't already)?

I think one major advantage is the fact that you don't have a couple of exams representing an entire year's (or two years') worth of study. A levels may not be a very reliable indicator of how much you really know.
Reply 16
Original post by Davalla
My Dad's harder than your Dad.

Your Dad's a prick for letting you do a BTEC.
Reply 17
Original post by bizzy_penguin
I'm not completely dumb thank you. I did AS Levels last year (BBD). I was like you OP - didn't like the thought of vocational / btec subjects for your very reasons.
I left sixth form because my sixth form lacked the facilities/support/& didn't like it generally

Where is the proof certain W/E opportunities only offer to A Level students?(what is your source basically?)
If the BTEC is in the required subject for the w/e then it should still be offered.

A BTEC does guarantee work experience - some courses require you to do a set no. of hours in a relevant field for you to pass.

Work experience that is only available to a levels? Most top work experience programmes need A levels. You can look at investment banking programmes for example.

Your entire argument is quite silly tbh. Valuable work experience isnt available until uni when you're 18+.
Reply 18
Original post by Drewski
I got a BTEC (the GCSE equivalent level) just for turning up to an outside of school club for a couple of years and doing a few easy exams. No drama. No need to hate, is what it is.

And what use is that? You're better off spending time on an apprenticeship.
Original post by jesus24
And what use is that? You're better off spending time on an apprenticeship.

Just because you can't understand the value of getting a qualification, however minor, in a non conventional way, doesn't mean there is no value in it.

Given the way you've acted in this thread I suspect there's a great deal of things you don't understand fully, you're really better off leaving it as is.

You're not going to win anyone over to your way of thinking by telling everyone who disagrees with you that they're stupid.

Latest

Trending

Trending