The Student Room Group

The term "Islamophobia"

Before you ban me for "being racist/discriminatory"; at least read what I have to say.

Having a phobia is defined as having an "irrational fear of or aversion to something".

It's not irrational to fear Islam when this is one of the verses from the Quran:

"And when the sacred months have passed, then kill the polytheists wherever you find them and capture them and besiege them and sit in wait for them at every place of ambush" - Surah At-Tawbah [9:5]

If any Muslim can prove me wrong, feel free to do so.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think you should explain the context of the verses you quote, it would make the debate a lot more interesting and make this less like looking to attack Islam
Reply 2
Original post by h3rmit
I think you should explain the context of the verses you quote, it would make the debate a lot more interesting and make this less like looking to attack Islam

In what context would killing innocents be deemed okay?
Reply 3
Original post by epoddoulc
In what context would killing innocents be deemed okay?

The Qu'ran has words from lots of people, this quote might be from someone who is actually held as a person to not emulate in Islam (though it probably isn't). Anyway, just spamming quotes without understanding or explanation leaves you open to being discredited and makes your argument as a whole less potent
Reply 4
I'm not muslim but it just seems like you have cherry picked a few verses. The bible says pretty much the same thing when it comes to non believers, however I do agree that 'Islamophobia' is not an irrational fear-it has just been enlarged and over exaggerated by various societal institiutions.
Reply 5
Original post by h3rmit
The Qu'ran has words from lots of people, this quote might be from someone who is actually held as a person to not emulate in Islam (though it probably isn't). Anyway, just spamming quotes without understanding or explanation leaves you open to being discredited and makes your argument as a whole less potent

No, the Quran is supposedly the final word from God. Tell me, in which context, would murdering innocent people be acceptable.
Reply 6
Original post by S.olk
I'm not muslim but it just seems like you have cherry picked a few verses. The bible says pretty much the same thing when it comes to non believers, however I do agree that 'Islamophobia' is not an irrational fear-it has just been enlarged and over exaggerated by various societal institiutions.

This thread is regarding Islam, so why are you mentioning the bible?
wow you really are prejudiced. if i were to ask you to do your homework and research the context behind the verse, would you do it. No? I wonder why, perhaps you have an irrational fear or aversion to Islam?
Before you ban me for "being racist/discriminatory"; at least read what I have to say.

Having a phobia is defined as having an "irrational fear of or aversion to something".

It's not irrational to fear Islam when this is one of the verses from the Quran:

"And when the sacred months have passed, then kill the polytheists wherever you find them and capture them and besiege them and sit in wait for them at every place of ambush" - Surah At-Tawbah [9:5]

I agree however I'm pretty sure that quote was taken out of context
Reply 9
No, the Quran is supposedly the final word from God. Tell me, in which context, would murdering innocent people be acceptable.

You haven't really answered my post and seem to have a very immature approach to debate, where you just want to repeat the same thing rather than present a cohesive argument which everybody learns from.

Anyway, that verse doesn't specify innocent people, it says "polytheists",
Reply 10
Original post by I_joker007
wow you really are prejudiced. if i were to ask you to do your homework and research the context behind the verse, would you do it. No? I wonder why, perhaps you have an irrational fear or aversion to Islam?

Oh, having an irrational fear of the "religion of peace". Tell me, why are the majority of terrorist attacks committed in the name of Islam?

Why shouldn't we fear islam? It's perfectly rational to fear an ideology behind the deaths of hundreds of innocent humans every year.

Well from the quote it's not directly obvious if the polytheists are innocent- maybe they were in a war, maybe not? (don't know the context)
The problem, most people who are opposed to Islam, do it wrong. They are actually islamophobes.
Reply 13
Original post by h3rmit
You haven't really answered my post and seem to have a very immature approach to debate, where you just want to repeat the same thing rather than present a cohesive argument which everybody learns from.

Polytheists means anyone who believes in more than one God. How is it acceptable to murder them for their beliefs? Which context would it be deemed permissable? Surely the "religion of peace" would promote harmony amongst religious people rather than senseless violence?

Muslim response to ANY argument:
a.) You are racist
b.) You don't understand the context
c.) You are racist
The verse does not mention innocent people, you just assumed that yourself, by the way let me just finish the rest of the verses for you:

"But if they should repent, establish prayer, and give zakah, let them [go] on their way. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful."

"And if any one of the polytheists seeks your protection, then grant him protection so that he may hear the words of Allah . Then deliver him to his place of safety. That is because they are a people who do not know."
Reply 15

I think their should be a new term, just how Zionists use the 'Anti Semite' card

Anti Islamite?
Original post by h3rmit

Presumably you think polytheists cannot be innocent and that it is reasonable to kill those that believe in more than one god. What about atheists (unbelievers)? Are they fair game too?
Original post by Not_a_horse
The verse does not mention innocent people, you just assumed that yourself, by the way let me just finish the rest of the verses for you:

"But if they should repent, establish prayer, and give zakah, let them [go] on their way. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful."

"And if any one of the polytheists seeks your protection, then grant him protection so that he may hear the words of Allah . Then deliver him to his place of safety. That is because they are a people who do not know."

Hehe. So Islam is akin to a protection racket. As long as he is submissive and pays what is levied on him he may not be killed. Isn't that a bit barbaric?
Reply 18
Original post by Not_a_horse

So what you're saying is; if the polytheists repent and accept Islam, they will be spared? That's even more twisted!
Reply 19
This thread is regarding Islam, so why are you mentioning the bible?

Erm, islamophobia is the irrational fear of Islam, which preaches a lot of what Christianity preaches. My point is that Islamophobia is not an entirely rational fear when those who fear Islam the most are Westerners coming from countries founded on christianity-which mirrors islam in many ways.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending