The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Plantagenet Crown
So you're willing to give up your perfect man just because he doesn't believe the same fairytales you do? Is that seriously the reason you're going to give up on him, even though you're not close to your family?

A prime example of how toxic religion can be.

You are a legend
Original post by MiszShortee786
Not only did you commit associating partners with Allah you have shown yourself to superior then the one that has created you. Which doesnt make any sense. So the only 'pointless dogma' is coming from you.

Lets reach the afterlife 'matey' and then lets see who lived a life worth living.

Our Beloved Prophet Muhammad (Sallahu Alayhi Waslaam) has said:
This world is a prison for the believers and paradise for the non-believers
[Sahih Muslim Book 042, Number 7058]

Look, the one who isn't making any sense here is you. How can I be "associating partners" with Allah when I don't even believe in God?

I am not superior to the one who created me because it's impossible to be superior to something that doesn't exist (Allah).

If there is no afterlife, which is by far the most likely outcome, then neither of us will find out anything because consciousness itself will cease to be. Again, quoting verses from the Quran is utterly meaningless and circular. It no more proves Islam true than the Harry Potter books prove Hogwarts.
Original post by Anonymous
the reason I can't marry him is because, in islam, if a muslim girl marries a non muslim guy, the marriage is not valid. I'd literally be sleeping in sin. Yes, I've been with him up until now, but I don't know if I can mentally handle that for the rest of my life. Especially as I'm now finding myself becoming more religious as time has gone on. Don't want to marry him and have kids to just suddenly have a mental breakdown and change my mind about it all one day.

This is why I stated that Msulims would understand a bit better.

It's not valid according to some fairytale. Legally however, your marriage to this guy would be perfectly legal in terms of law. And considering you're in the UK, official laws always trump the religious ones.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Look, the one who isn't making any sense here is you. How can I be "associating partners" with Allah when I don't even believe in God?

I am not superior to the one who created me because it's impossible to be superior to something that doesn't exist (Allah).

If there is no afterlife, which is by far the most likely outcome, then neither of us will find out anything because consciousness itself will cease to be. Again, quoting verses from the Quran is utterly meaningless and circular. It no more proves Islam true than the Harry Potter books prove Hogwarts.

Okay I dont make any sense fine(!) You dont have to be a Muslim to associate partners with Allah the thing is its concealed from you but known to us Muslims(You wont get this point so please dont bother).

Aha according to you Allah does not exist because Allah has sealed your eyes ears and hearts to the call of Islam. (Again you may not get this point).

Lastly I actually quoted the Hadith of our Beloved Prophet Muhammad (Sallahu Alayhi Waslaam) not the Holy Quraan. So please get this fact right before commenting. By the ways we all known HP is fictional that has no relevance here.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AishaGirl
At least if a couple are married then they are devoted to each other. You say it's not filthy but would you rather date a modest girl who is a virgin or perhaps she only had 1 boyfriend before, or a rotten little skank who has opened her legs to every man down the pub...

Yeah, I didn't think so.

That's not true, sure they may be married but it doesn't mean they are less likely to cheat. And Muslims aren't an exception to this. Islam teaches those not to judge but I think what you're doing here is judging what others do sexually which doesn't do any favours for you. And shame on you for judging those who sleep around, why does it matter if they aren't virgins? Are you saying if you got with a man who slept with many women and he suddenly turned his life around and became a better Muslim, you'd reject him because he slept around? Surely you'd overlook his previous and past experiences and actions and make a judgement for who he is, not what he's done?
Marriage of muslimahs to non muslims? Or sleeping around like a skank? I'm not sure which you consider health development so if you could clarify.

Because it's filthy, have some decency and self respect. Just my opinion seeing.

1) Who the hell do you think you are judging girls who sleep around before marriage? It's really not your problem or any of your business. It was totally unnecessary and it screams bitterness/insecurity.
2) Hate to break it to you but it's not upto you to tell them if they lack self respect. They make their own minds up about that one. And if sex really was "filthy" and "indecent", Muslims wouldn't do it to have children.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Rhythmical
Are you saying if you got with a man who slept with many women and he suddenly turned his life around and became a better Muslim, you'd reject him because he slept around? Surely you'd overlook his previous and past experiences and actions and make a judgement for who he is, not what he's done?

It's down to personal opinion, something which apparently I'm not allowed to have around here.

Personally I would not marry a muslim who has slept around. I just wouldn't be able to do it.

One or two wives at the most. There will be a muslimah who will accept him but I'm not one of them, sorry.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
1) Who the hell do you think you are judging girls who sleep around before marriage? It's really not your problem or any of your business. It was totally unnecessary and it screams bitterness/insecurity.
2) Hate to break it to you but it's not upto you to tell them if they lack self respect. They make their own minds up about that one. And if sex really was "filthy" and "indecent", Muslims wouldn't do it to have children.

I simply stated my opinion that is was filthy, am I not allowed that view?

It's my opinion that sleeping around is filthy, committing to your husband or wife to make love and conceive a gift from Allah swt is not filthy, it is a blessing.
I simply stated my opinion that is was filthy, am I not allowed that view?

It's my opinion that sleeping around is filthy, committing to your husband or wife to make love and conceive a gift from Allah swt is not filthy, it is a blessing.

You believe in saving yourself for marriage? Fair enough, plenty of people do it. But the slut shaming is unnecessary and it just makes you look like a sad insecure person. It's none of your business whether girls have sex before marriage.

It's down to personal opinion, something which apparently I'm not allowed to have around here.

Personally I would not marry a muslim who has slept around. I just wouldn't be able to do it.

One or two wives at the most. There will be a muslimah who will accept him but I'm not one of them, sorry.

Out of curiosity would you prefer to marry a Muslim whose been born and raised in the West or in the Middle East/in an Islamic country?
Original post by Angry Bird
OP does not need to waste time justifying anything. If you want to learn about islam read a book or use google

She may need to spend time justifying her beliefs - not to us, but to herself. If you don't understand why you're doing something, then why are you doing it?
Original post by MiszShortee786

Okay I dont make any sense fine(!) You dont have to be a Muslim to associate partners with Allah the thing is its concealed from you but known to us Muslims(You wont get this point so please dont bother).

Again, you're making no sense. How can I be associating partners with a god if I don't believe in a god?

Oh really? What exactly is magically known to Muslims and concealed from everyone else? The answer you give should be very interesting indeed...

Aha according to you Allah does not exist because Allah has sealed your eyes ears and hearts to the call of Islam. (Again you may not get this point).

More circular reasoning. Quoting what Allah says in the Quran does not prove it's true, and also shows your imaginary deity to be psychotic and insane as he punishes unbelievers even though apparently it's him who makes them unable to see the "truth" of Islam.

Lastly I actually quoted the Hadith of our Beloved Prophet Muhammad (Sallahu Alayhi Waslaam) not the Holy Quraan. So please get this fact right before commenting. By the ways we all known HP is fictional that has no relevance here.

The logic is exactly the same. Quoting from a book doesn't make the book true, just as quoting a chapter of HP that say Hogwarts exists doesn't actually mean it does!

Well yes, both Harry Potter and Allah are fictional..
(edited 7 years ago)
Out of curiosity would you prefer to marry a Muslim whose been born and raised in the West or in the Middle East/in an Islamic country?

Western muslim 100%. The cultural differences would probably be too much. I'm half Egyptian though so maybe, possibly I would marry an Egyptian if he had good knowledge of western culture.
At least Harry Potter was an enjoyable read :h:

True!
Western muslim 100%. The cultural differences would probably be too much. I'm half Egyptian though so maybe, possibly I would marry an Egyptian if he had good knowledge of western culture.

Right so how religious would you like him to be on a scale of 1-10?

Western Muslims are typically less orthodox, though. In comparison to a Middle East Muslim, you'd probably look like an absolute degenerate and you'd be the one to be called "skank", "filthy", etc. Why do your judgements matter more than theirs?
Right so how religious would you like him to be on a scale of 1-10?

I don't think you can mark it on a scale. I want him to be fully practicing and be pious but I won't tolerate him telling me to never leave the house and I can only leave the house with his permission etc.

I don't really know what you mean.
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't think you can mark it on a scale. I want him to be fully practicing and be pious but telling me to wear the niqab and never leave the house and I can only leave the house with his permission etc.

Right so you want a reasonably religious guy whose a virgin, good looking, has chemistry with you and gets on well with you.

Its a needle in a haystack nowadays. But good luck nevertheless.
Right so you want a reasonably religious guy whose a virgin, good looking, has chemistry with you and gets on well with you.

Its a needle in a haystack nowadays. But good luck nevertheless.

I just wanted to clarify I'm not sure I made it clear I do NOT want a husband who won't allow me to leave the home without his permission and to wear the niqab.

I put my trust in Allah swt to find a good spouse inshallah.
I don't think you can mark it on a scale. I want him to be fully practicing and be pious but telling me to wear the niqab and never leave the house and I can only leave the house with his permission etc.

You didn't finish your sentence, but if those are things you do want, congrats, your worldview is logically consistent.

If those are things you don't want, then you are to a pious Muslim as a promiscuous non-Muslim is to you, and have simply changed your beliefs to be convenient to the extent that you get to still lord over those who do things you consider "fiithy" while still being a Muslim in name alone
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, sorry for the long back story.

I come from a household of an extremely abusive mother and a father who never did anything to stop it.

A couple years ago, I managed to transfer university and move out, but my family would force me to regularly visit. Just before this, I met my non-Muslim boyfriend on a dating site, who lives in London. I am not from London nor do I go to university there. At this time I was (of course) in a bad place and, although I believed in Allah, I did not really care for religion.

Since being away from the abuse I've found more of a place for Allah in my heart. My boyfriend is almost the perfect man - except for the fact that he is not Muslim. He has good principles and doesn't drink or anything. Since becoming more religious, I've asked him about converting, and he will not consider it. I know I have no future with him.

Recently, I have cut contact with my mother and have stopped visiting my parents.

I am in my final year of university and am planning on moving to London after I have finished precisely because of my entire situation. London is so big and I feel like it will give me a greater chance of meeting friends, a life partner, and starting a new life where I can finally be happy.

I am having breakdowns at this moment because I feel like I'm going to be alone for the rest of my life. I find it hard to connect with people. I have only two friends I feel like I really connect with, and then there's my boyfriend. At the age of twenty I've only ever connected with three people. The fact that I now have to only consider Muslim guys for partners has narrowed down my chances of finding another connection by so much. On top of that, I would have to find a Muslim guy who is willing to date, as I would want to be in a relationship with someone before marriage.

I also don't feel like I'm the kind of girl a Muslim guy will want to settle down with. I don't wear hijab and I feel like lot of people will automatically assume I'm not marriage material because of that. Also, I feel like many Muslim guys would want the approval of their parents before marrying someone. What Muslim parents would approve of a girl who has pretty much no ties with her family? I don't want to be used by a guy for fun and then get dumped for someone his parents chose.

I feel like I'm never going to have a connection with a Muslim guy, and my religion does not allow me to be with a non-Muslim, and therefore I see my future being filled with unhappiness and loneliness.

Advice or perspective would be appreciated.

Honestly, PRAY to God.

Trust in him, hope that he has something in store for you. After all, he does know what's best!

You know, I once started talking to a guy through Instagram. He was sweet, funny and goodlooking. We were the same age and lived only a street apart. He wanted to meet up but I cut my ties with him because I just felt like I wasn't good enough for a guy like him. A couple months later, my friend started flirting with him and calling him on the phone and I was JEALOUSSSSS like you wouldn't believe! So I prayed for his attention wishing desperately that he'd come back to me instead of HER. A year later, he stopped speaking to her, and I joined a new tuition class. Who's in my tuition class? That boy!

Spoiler

The point is, PRAY. God listens, he hears you. He either says "Not now" or "I have something better for you". I hope things get better for you, keep your head up and good luck xx

Latest

Trending

Trending