The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

Social Care 2016 Entry

I've been offered a place on the social care course and I'm definitely going to make it my firm! I'm just thinking about accommodation.. where's the best place to stay? I know social care is studied in the Brooks Building which is part of Birley.. is anyone planning to stay in the Birley Fields halls?
hi :smile: i've just firmed my offer to study social work and im thinking of applying to stay in Birley :smile:
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
Reply 2
ah okay :smile: i think i'm gonna apply too, it makes sense as the halls are on site! are you looking forward to starting? :smile:
yeah its so close and convenient! yeah i am, but im soooo nervous, are you excited?
Reply 4
same, so nervous but excited! i'll be moving from leeds so it's going to be a big change!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ooo fair play! I'm moving from Telford and it's a really small place compared to Manchester so I'm gonna have to get used to living in a busy city too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just wondered how people on the Social Care course at Man Met are liking it ?
Reply 7
Original post by xlaurenamy
I've been offered a place on the social care course and I'm definitely going to make it my firm! I'm just thinking about accommodation.. where's the best place to stay? I know social care is studied in the Brooks Building which is part of Birley.. is anyone planning to stay in the Birley Fields halls?

I start this course from the second year in September!
How do you find it so far?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mjabbarx
I start this course from the second year in September!
How do you find it so far?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello. My son has just been offered a place starting in the second year too. Man Met is the first offer and no others have come through yet though. But I think Man Met is his favourite. Also put down, Liveerpool Hope, Liverpool John Moores, London Met and Ulster. We live in Northern Ireland but from Manchester originally. I think my son is a bit concerned he won't know any other people going into year two either and so will be on his own.
Reply 9
That sounds great, hopefully he'll have some more offers coming through soon!
I was thinking the same thing, but also about the course in general, so it's great knowing I am not the only one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That sounds great, hopefully he'll have some more offers coming through soon!
I was thinking the same thing, but also about the course in general, so it's great knowing I am not the only one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see you live in Old Trafford. My first home until I was five was on Clifton Street. Then we moved to Lostock in Stretford and stayed there for about fifteen years, then moved to Stockport. My last home in Manchester was Pendleton in Salford. I moved to Northern Ireland with my then two year old son in 1999 and have been here ever since. My son isn't even sure he wants to go to uni. I persuaded him to apply anyway before the deadline, so he had the option of turning down places if that was his choice. Are you studying the BTEC HND ?
Original post by markova21
I see you live in Old Trafford. My first home until I was five was on Clifton Street. Then we moved to Lostock in Stretford and stayed there for about fifteen years, then moved to Stockport. My last home in Manchester was Pendleton in Salford. I moved to Northern Ireland with my then two year old son in 1999 and have been here ever since. My son isn't even sure he wants to go to uni. I persuaded him to apply anyway before the deadline, so he had the option of turning down places if that was his choice. Are you studying the BTEC HND ?

Wow that's quite a lot!
That's a good idea. What is he studying now?
I was studying on the social work degree, but then decided to transfer course!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow that's quite a lot!
That's a good idea. What is he studying now?
I was studying on the social work degree, but then decided to transfer course!

Posted from TSR Mobile

He did the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care. Now he is in the second year of the BTEC HND in Health and Social Care. Finishes in June. Man Met have said he needs to get a Pass grade, which we don't quite understand. In the Level 3 Extended Diploma he was awarded Distinction Distinction Merit, so we don't understand just one grade of Pass. Ulster University told him to be considered for year two entry he would need to have a minimum of 2 Distinctions 2 Merits and 4 Passes. So why are Man Met saying "A pass grade"? It doesn't make any sense. P.S. Are you male or female, if you don't mind me asking. Also how old are you? [Again, if you don't mind me asking?]
I applied for the Social Work course but got offered Social Care which if I don't get an offer from Teesside I am taking. I have been given an conditional offer and have to pass my BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care with a Distinction Merit Merit. Maybe you only need to get a pass because he already has the grades from his Extended Diploma to get on the course? Hope this helps! I'm female and 18, 19 in May :smile:
Original post by KirstyDiane
I applied for the Social Work course but got offered Social Care which if I don't get an offer from Teesside I am taking. I have been given an conditional offer and have to pass my BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care with a Distinction Merit Merit. Maybe you only need to get a pass because he already has the grades from his Extended Diploma to get on the course? Hope this helps! I'm female and 18, 19 in May :smile:

Hi Kirsty you might be right. But as he is going directly into the second year we just assumed it was tougher so he needed to pass his HND to be accepted. Otherwise he has been told by lots of unis his DDM in the Level 3 Ext.Dip. will get him into the first year. But he HAS to go into the second year as he has already used up two years of his Higher Education funding. [The two Year HND did not contain enough units for it to be worth two years of an Undergraduate degree, only one; even though it lasted for two years and cost £2,500 a year. Complete rip off. Grr !!] But he wanted to do it and continue at college for a further two years so it was his decision.
Hmm.. it is unusual for Man Met to ask for a pass grade.. maybe if you contact the course Enquiry team or the student hub they could assist further as it seems like he already has the grades to progress directly into the second year of the course! I am female and 19:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hmm.. it is unusual for Man Met to ask for a pass grade.. maybe if you contact the course Enquiry team or the student hub they could assist further as it seems like he already has the grades to progress directly into the second year of the course! I am female and 19:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

On UCAS Track it says Conditional Offer. BTEC HND Pass plus evidence of his BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma at DDM. Ulster University want an overall profile of Merit to include 45 Level 5 credits at Distinction, so sounds tougher. Not heard from the other three. But Man Met is his first choice and Ulster his second anyway. He just put down the other three to use up his five choices. His other three are Liverpool John Moores,Liverpool Hope and London Met. He has already said he absolutely doesn't want to go to London even if he is offered it. The HND he is studying does not contain enough units or modules or something or other for it to be worth two years of undergraduate study. It is only equivalent to the first year.
Anyone on here going into the Second Year of Social Care at Man Met [ after doing a HND] ? Or is anyone on here going into the second year on the Man Met Facebook page?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending