The Student Room Group
Sorry, you should find the A level easy if you want to do a degree. It certainly is easy in comparison.
Original post by GulliversFox
I'd really like to do maths at university this year or next, but I only got a C, and it's too much effort looking through the entire UCAS maths data bases for one with a C when most require As or A*s.
Please could you help me out?
I got As and Bs in Core modules, and didn't do as well in Statistics and Decision.

You will seriously struggle and if it's too much effort to look for a course to suit you then it would seem unlikely that you will be prepared to put the extra work in to succeed. However, whatuni.com allows you to type in your qualifications in their course search.
I think it'd be unlikely. Most people applying for maths have at least an A in maths and further maths.
And also, unless there were extenuating circumstances, you'd probably struggle with a maths degree.
But you can look here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Mathematics_entry_requirements
Gullivers Fox?

Hmmm - missing the exploitation and out-foxing them. Much troll, no?

Statistics and decision making are two of the most heavily used topics in everything from science (quantum mechanics, electronics, engineering, computing, business, finance, marketing etc.) Maths at degree level takes these to a whole new plane as well as introducing far more exotic and divergent concepts, techniques and theories.

I agree with the above poster's, if you struggled at A-level, a degree is probably not the best gamble with your money or time.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
I'd really like to do maths at university this year or next, but I only got a C, and it's too much effort looking through the entire UCAS maths data bases for one with a C when most require As or A*s.
I got As and Bs in Core modules, and didn't do as well in Statistics and Decision.

Are you trolling?

When did you sit A level maths, and what have you been doing since?
Most Universities would want at least a B, London Met is probably the only university that would accept a C at A Level Maths.
There are courses you could apply for (Swansea, Wolverhampton, Manchester Met, Derby etc) but you do have to ask yourself if your Maths skills are this poor, do you really think you can cope with, or will enjoy, 3 more years of Maths study *at a much higher level*?

If you are determined to do this, then look at a course with a Foundation year - which would bring your Maths skills up to the right level, then followed by a full degree - and is covered by SF. Some Foundation courses are aimed at people with high grades but the 'wrong subject' but the course at Uni of Kent for instance would be suitable for someone with poor grades : http://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/166/mathematics-including-a-foundation-year#!overview
Reply 8
Original post by davros
Are you trolling?

When did you sit A level maths, and what have you been doing since?

Why would I be trolling? Bit of a pathetic thing to be trolling about. I sat it last year and I've been working since. Why?
Reply 9
Original post by uberteknik
Gullivers Fox?

Hmmm - missing the exploitation and out-foxing them. Much troll, no?

Statistics and decision making are two of the most heavily used topics in everything from science (quantum mechanics, electronics, engineering, computing, business, finance, marketing etc.) Maths at degree level takes these to a whole new plane as well as introducing far more exotic and divergent concepts, techniques and theories.

I agree with the above poster's, if you struggled at A-level, a degree is probably not the best gamble with your money or time.

I don't understand the 'troll' about my username or my question.
But thank you, I understand your answer. I was hoping there would be lots of options for just pure maths rather than other areas like you stated. I think I'll pass on that basis, and that I didn't get an A. :smile:
Original post by returnmigrant
There are courses you could apply for (Swansea, Wolverhampton, Manchester Met, Derby etc) but you do have to ask yourself if your Maths skills are this poor, do you really think you can cope with, or will enjoy, 3 more years of Maths study *at a much higher level*?

If you are determined to do this, then look at a course with a Foundation year - which would bring your Maths skills up to the right level, then followed by a full degree - and is covered by SF. Some Foundation courses are aimed at people with high grades but the 'wrong subject' but the course at Uni of Kent for instance would be suitable for someone with poor grades : http://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/166/mathematics-including-a-foundation-year#!overview

Thank you, I don't think my skills are poor, just my end of year performance. I shall look into foundation years, thank you.
Reply 11
Why would I be trolling? Bit of a pathetic thing to be trolling about. I sat it last year and I've been working since. Why?

You'd be surprised - we get some strange individuals on here who post things like "I've got 5 A*s at A level, what are my chances at Cambridge?", people who complain because they haven't done Maths since GCSE but think their school should give them a reference for a Maths degree if they self-teach 18 modules, and the idiot who claimed that his Sixth Form had refused to allow him to study Maths so he was going to self-study Maths and FM on top of 4 other A levels at school, plus a BTEC plus an Open University degree all at the same time!

I accept your question is a serious one - just a bit puzzled where you were in your education, and if you'd already sat A level Maths, why you hadn't resat this summer to try to get up to an A or A* if possible to give yourself a better chance.

Why have you decided now that you'd like to do a Maths degree - was it always part of your plan to take a year out and then apply for uni degrees?

And as the other posters have already said, a C grade indicates weaknesses in your knowledge - either retake the A level, or look at the Foundation Year options to get yourself up to speed.
But thank you, I understand your answer. I was hoping there would be lots of options for just pure maths rather than other areas like you stated. I think I'll pass on that basis, and that I didn't get an A. :smile:

Using the names in that way suggests you are aware of the early 18th century novel by Jonathan Swift which chronicles the stories of a man called Gulliver who has fantastical adventures being shipwrecked on islands inhabited by 6 inch tall people, or another time, by giants who treat him as a pet etc. Hence the name is synonymous with the word 'gullible' meaning easily exploited/deceived through naivety or lacking any cynicism.

Foxes are animals known for their sly nature by sneaking up and pouncing on their prey.
In other words foxes are personified as being sly and cunning.

Putting the two together seems more than coincidence.

As far as the maths degree is concerned, I gave some examples of where the topics you are experiencing difficulty, are applied in commerce and science. Of course they are not the only things you will study on a maths degree.

The foundation route does seem to be a reasonable option as you still have time to change courses if you decide that maths is not for you during the year.
Reply 13
Do yourself a favour and pick something else if you've only managed a C at A-Level.

Most maths degrees have a very strong focus on pure, mine certainly does, but the pure maths is the hard stuff!

You haven't done any pure maths at A level, trust me. You should look at either resitting maths A level or look into foundation years.

Good luck.
The university of Bolton only ask for 2 a-levels and haven't specified what grades which leads me to believe they might accept a C. Honestly if you want to do something you're going to have to go out and reach it and this includes searching through the ucas search option to find universities that you might have a chance of getting into.
If you're that bad at the A level the degree will be awful. And nobody's mentioned it yet but I'm sure when applying for uni for maths, they advise you don't have a gap year because you forget a lot of it? Why do you want to do a subject which doesn't seem your best? I would find that really soul destroying.
Reply 17

man i am like you, i am amzing when it comes to c1,2,3 and 4 i just hate stats and mechanics. to be honest you could still do a math degree but dont excpect top universities to let you in. i would recomend you looking at math section on the university league tabel and choose unis which are below northumbria university (start with them). the only reason is because they are average good universities.
Original post by mnak

This thread is from 2014.