The Student Room Group

High intensity, heavy workload CompSci courses?

I was wondering if there are any courses similar to the CompSci course at Cambridge?

For example, heavy workload, fast pace, etc? I have found that at Cambridge topics are gone through quite fast and you have to make sense of it in your own time etc., which I like.

Maybe a course which is heavily theoretical?

edit: also courses that are quite advanced (not sure how to phrase it), cause I also found out that Cambridge have a compiler construction topic in the second year, whereas most unis I'm looking at have it in the third year.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by theholychilli
I was wondering if there are any courses similar to the CompSci course at Cambridge?

For example, heavy workload, fast pace, etc? I have found that at Cambridge topics are gone through quite fast and you have to make sense of it in your own time etc., which I like.

Maybe a course which is heavily theoretical?

edit: also courses that are quite advanced (not sure how to phrase it), cause I also found out that Cambridge have a compiler construction topic in the second year, whereas most unis I'm looking at have it in the third year.

http://www.ed.ac.uk/informatics/about/what-is-informatics might be the sort of thing you're looking for - if you're looking at Cambridge then second year entry to the Ed courses would be worth looking into.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
http://www.ed.ac.uk/informatics/about/what-is-informatics might be the sort of thing you're looking for - if you're looking at Cambridge then second year entry to the Ed courses would be worth looking into.

Second this advice - Edinburgh uni's CS course is arguably one of the best in Europe, definitely up there with Cambridge's. Edinburgh also has a much wider range of course choices, if that's what OP is interested in.
Original post by PQ

Original post by trythis
Second this advice - Edinburgh uni's CS course is arguably one of the best in Europe, definitely up there with Cambridge's. Edinburgh also has a much wider range of course choices, if that's what OP is interested in.

Thanks both for your suggestions.

However, Edinburgh is way too far for me to be practical.

Any other suggestions? Thanks.
Imperial's Computing course is highly intense and has a heavy workload. It has a good balance of theory and practice - more practical than Cambridge's though. Very high average grad salary, many go to top tech firms (Google/Facebook etc).

Original post by trythis

Wouldn't necessarily put Edinburgh 'up there with Cambridge' though, not that it's bad, just that there are universities between Edinburgh and Cambridge!
Original post by yl95
Imperial's Computing course is highly intense and has a heavy workload. It has a good balance of theory and practice - more practical than Cambridge's though. Very high average grad salary, many go to top tech firms (Google/Facebook etc).

Wouldn't necessarily put Edinburgh 'up there with Cambridge' though, not that it's bad, just that there are universities between Edinburgh and Cambridge!

Very few for CS. I can think of maybe Oxford/Imperial.. UCL is about on par.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Very few for CS. I can think of maybe Oxford/Imperial.. UCL is about on par.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I did my research too when I applied for Maths & CompSci initially, just saying that I disagree that Edinburgh is stand out like Cambridge. :tongue:
Reply 7
Original post by theholychilli
However, Edinburgh is way too far for me to be practical..

Too far? Are you planning on commuting to university - might be helpful to know where you are then...
Reply 8
For a default high intensity and heavy workload, the only one up there with Cambridge would be Imperial's CS/JMC course, but that's only when I take those two factors in consideration. They cram a lot of modules within a short timespan. There's a lot more freedom/choice at Edinburgh at the expense of 1 year, so if you can decrease your workload provided you take easier modules. But the good thing is that there's nothing stopping you from making your courseload at Edinburgh incredibly high- just take modules like MLPR/MLP/PMR (masters students there take these modules too) and maybe some masters module. Edinburgh will fulfil that "advanced" part of your question just fine, in the 3rd and 4th year though. :smile: Oxford is on-par. The intensity of UCL's CS/MathComp course structure is not on the same level as the ones mentioned before.

Among the top ones, Oxford's course is the most theoretical (and may I say really well designed. doesn't follow any fad), followed by Edinburgh. Cambridge has the perfect balance. Imperial CS modules leans just a tiny bit on the engineering side compared to these. UCL CS is really practical (See their IEP/Systems Engg. project modules). Its MathComp degree however, has a fair amount of theoretical (maths/stats) modules and is geared towards those looking for a theoretical course. But the CS modules are still shared with other CS degree students, so the high theoretical rigour is replaced by programming focused coursework.

These are the top five places you should consider IMO. But don't choose a uni solely based on course structure. Also consider UCL MathComp, as going there has other benefits too. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong somewhere :smile:

Warwick and Southampton have really good CS programs too.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending