The Student Room Group

Part time Hnc or full time HND

I am currently unemployed and considering paying for a part time Hnc from my savings.

Im considering my options.

I could do the Hnd in 2 years full time and incur £18,000 of student loan debt which is sort of unseen debt

or

I could do a Hnc part time and then use distance learning to get a hnd part time. This would take 4 years costing £3,000

Taking the part time route could save me £15,000

However I will be paying for the part time route with my own cash which is real

Student loans for the full time route doesnt really seem like debt and only a record on student loan company computers until I pay a marginal amount back.
(edited 7 years ago)
Get the hnd:smile:
God, it's so expensive. Is this at a college in England? We're in Northern Ireland, and for my son's HND the fees were £2,500 for the first year and the same for the second. Annoyingly, the previous year to him applying the HND fees were only £1,800 a year. The only advice I would give is to check, check and double check the modules covered are equivalent to the first year of Undergraduate study on the HNC and the first two years on an HND. MY son's two year course is only equal to the first year of undergraduate study, so is a bit of a rip off.
Reply 3
Original post by markova21
God, it's so expensive. Is this at a college in England? We're in Northern Ireland, and for my son's HND the fees were £2,500 for the first year and the same for the second. Annoyingly, the previous year to him applying the HND fees were only £1,800 a year. The only advice I would give is to check, check and double check the modules covered are equivalent to the first year of Undergraduate study on the HNC and the first two years on an HND. MY son's two year course is only equal to the first year of undergraduate study, so is a bit of a rip off.

Im in NI, it's still cheap compared to other places.

Hnd is equivalent to 2 years uni, if he went to England he could top it up.

HNC 120 Credits level 4
HND 120 CREDITS level 5

Total degree plus another 120 credits
DEGREE 360 CREDITS

I was planning on hnc at college and then hnd distance learning.

I suppose if he isn't entitled to loans and paying himself it's expensive.

Student loans don't really get paid back or come off a payslip.
(edited 7 years ago)
Sorry, I don't understand why it is going to cost so much.
Reply 5
Sorry, I don't understand why it is going to cost so much.

2 years full time for HND=2 years student loans (£18,000 loans and grant).

4 years part time = £3000 of my savings

So technically saving £7000 maybe by spreading it over 4 years part time.

However that £3000 for part-time is my real cash from my savings (not using loans).

The student loans and grant totalling £18,000 for full time are funds that some people never pay back.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by tut123

However that £3000 is my real cash

The student loans and grant totalling £18,000 are funds that some people never pay back.

But the grant doesn't have to be paid back though.
Reply 7
But the grant doesn't have to be paid back though.

The loans technically need to be paid back but only a small amount after earning say £16,000 per year. Some people call it debt but it's debatable.
Reply 8
Original post by tut123

However that £3000 for part-time is my real cash from my savings (not using loans).

The student loans and grant totalling £18,000 for full time are funds that some people never pay back.

Decided I prefer part-time but I'm near the end of my twenties and I've always been wary of student loans.
I think I just prefer the freedom of paying for things myself when I have the money and not have to worry about loans, plenty of part time courses with helpful payment plans that I can spread and a lot cheaper in the long run.

Student loans do have to be paid back and they affect mortgages. Everyone to themselves though.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest