The Student Room Group

better to be funny or formal in a work experience application?

--
(edited 5 years ago)
Your work experience form isn't the place to appear witty. You don't know if the person reading has the same sense of humour as you...or even a sense of humour at all. Better to be safe and serious at this stage. You can show your sense of humour once you have got the position and can make a judgment whether such would be appropriate.
Oh gosh no - comedy is very much not required here!
Usually, I'd say formal definitely. But since you do have to differentiate yourself in such a small space, perhaps don't crack the world's funniest joke and take up the whole space, but definitely see if you can put across some of your humour in something related to why you want to work for them - show off your personality & all dat :biggrin:
Don't pull any tricks here. It could be the difference between getting in or not. Just be serious as this shows you are *serious* about the placement. You can show humour at a later stage...It's important they see you are a valid applicant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yourjanuaryeyes
In the form I have 140 characters (not words) to detail why I want to get work experience in an organisation. This is only around 25 words, so is it better to use those words and say something witty to make you stand out from everyone else or is it better to be on the safe side and go formal?

This is one of only two questions that they ask to get a feel of who you are and decide whether or not to hire you, so it's p important

Trying to be funny will make you stand out for the wrong reasons. It will give the impression in your case that you do not take it seriously and you would be an immature liability. What you find funny and think is hilarious, is probably going to differ from what a busy employer is going to think. Try it and see what happens. report back.
I'd say. Down in paper try to be as formal as possible but don't let out your personality.

Face to face interviews are the time to read the room and/or the employer and judge accordingly if a joke will go down well.

Quick Reply

Latest