The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Are my GCSE's too bad for Kings college london

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JustPadz
I heard similar chat like that with regards to kings and ucl throwing an application with less than 7 a*s away, but now I'm thinking that's probably not true. Provided you get your predicted grades, so generally speaking aaa or a*aa and have a decent personal statement and interview if applicable you should be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

100% not true. I've got an offer from Imperial with 6As and 5Bs. There are people in Oxford and Cambridge with worse than that too.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by Nikita_2313
Some of my friends managed to get into KCL, but not UCL/LSE for the same course (One applied for Economics, another applied for History). Both had good grades but far from stellar, similar to OP.

Well obviously compared to UCL/LSE, it's not as selective.

King's Medicine is harder too. OP's grades would be below average for a Medicine applicant.
Original post by goatygoat
100% not true. I've got an offer from Imperial with 6As and 5Bs. There are people in Oxford and Cambridge with worse than that too.

Nice, what are you predicted?
Original post by MajorFader
Is he predicted As?

Indeed-ish, AAB
Original post by Cherub012
Well obviously compared to UCL/LSE, it's not as selective.

King's Medicine is harder too. OP's grades would be below average for a Medicine applicant.

That is exactly what I said, read my first post carefully: "compared to other top London unis".
Reply 25
I got into Kings and UCL with 5A*s 4As and a B if that helps so its not that reject people with less that 7A*s

And also don't worry they don't look at GCSE grades that much its more on the AS grades
Original post by Ze Witcher
Nice, what are you predicted?

A*A*A , though don't worry about predicted grades as long as they meet the minimum requirements. But if I hadn't gotten AA at AS, I don't think my predicted grades would've meant anything to any of the Unis.

Well that's just not true RE Oxbridge...
Original post by WhiteScythe
Well that's just not true RE Oxbridge...

well i'm sorry but you are wrong. people don't tend to get in with those grades but there is a small minority who do. I myself almost got a place, only missing out on one after interviews (this being engineering where there are 7 applicants per place and they narrow it down to 2 per place before interview)
well i'm sorry but you are wrong. people don't tend to get in with those grades but there is a small minority who do. I myself almost got a place, only missing out on one after interviews (this being engineering where there are 7 applicants per place and they narrow it down to 2 per place before interview)

If you don't get an A* at GCSE then how do you intend to get an A* at A-level? Given that you said that it is possible to get in with 0A*s implicit within this is that the student failed to get A*s in highly relevant subjects which would suggest they will face an overwhelming challenge in obtaining A*s in those subjects for A-level.

Look at how gcse physics (needed for engineering) equates to A-level grade. Nobody who got a B at GCSE got an A* at A-level (almost certainly required for Cambridge) and of those who got an A at GCSE only about 2.5% got an A* at A-level.

http://www.iopblog.org/link-gcse-a-level/
(Scroll down)
Original post by WhiteScythe
If you don't get an A* at GCSE then how do you intend to get an A* at A-level? Given that you said that it is possible to get in with 0A*s implicit within this is that the student failed to get A*s in highly relevant subjects which would suggest they will face an overwhelming challenge in obtaining A*s in those subjects for A-level.

Look at how gcse physics (needed for engineering) equates to A-level grade. Nobody who got a B at GCSE got an A* at A-level (almost certainly required for Cambridge) and of those who got an A at GCSE only about 2.5% got an A* at A-level.

http://www.iopblog.org/link-gcse-a-level/
(Scroll down)

Well I got a B in GCSE Maths and now on track to get A*A in maths and further maths and I am also part of that 2.5%. I guess I am a retard and should just give up on applying to Cambridge next year? :wink: Of course what you are saying is true, but it still doesn't make it impossible. I'll get back to you on that this time next year.

Here are some of the people from last year's intake with the lowest number of A*. There are others with zero but their data is unclear. You can look at it yourself here https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/engineering_entry_grades_for_201#incoming-906779

Astatistics.png
My friend got in with an A in math, but a C and D in English Language/English Lit respectively. You're fine.

Which course did she get in for?
Original post by Manny7889
Which course did she get in for?

Pharmacy or Pharmacology - can't remember.
100% agree with Nikita (I think I know you IRL!); I got in with 2 As, 5 Bs and 4 Cs at GCSE, CDdu at A level (none of which was chemistry), and a foundation year from Greenwich. I'm doing Pharmacology and the requirements for that are the same as for Biochemistry.
What is it like for comparative Literature in terms of competition
Reply 35
update: I got an offer from kings college for biochemistry AAB !!!
nah girl they don't count is just your a levels. king's isn't that hard to get into. just make sure you get roughly 3 As in your predicted and first year minimum B if the school is willing to predict one grade up. if the course requires you to get more then you know what to do.

I got in with A*AC but my course wasn't very competitive prices or with high requirements (AAB i think, can't remember )
My friend got in with an A in math, but a C and D in English Language/English Lit respectively. You're fine.

I got 3 in English Lang. I applied for pharmacy. Do you think I will get accepted?

Quick Reply

Latest