The Student Room Group

Would you be offended if I got you this as a mental health gift??

Scroll to see replies

Why don't you just buy her a beautiful journal from Paperblanks?
xx
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by tippyto452
True. Though some people would wear them as motivational reminders without the whole 'mental health awareness' angle they are taking.

Do you mean Paperchase? I'll look for a handmade journal on etsy actually that might be a good idea.

No. It's a company called Paperblanks. I think in England WH Smith sell them, also Waterstones. You can also get them off Ebay and I guess a lot of places. They are so beautiful; come in different sizes too. www.paperblanks.com
Original post by habeas.corpus
She might think they look cute. That's what I would say because they are bright and dainty. Objectively they look cute and pretty. But that necessarily mean your friend wants them as a gift. If I received them from someone I haven't talked to that much about my mental health, it would make me feel so self-conscious. I'd feel that I have been labelled and that you see me as the "girl with anxiety". I suspect very few people want to broadcast their mental health issues through wearing temporary tattoos anyway.

Anyone will an modicum of emotional intelligence would realise this. It's no coincidence that your boyfriend practically cringed when you told him. There are much more respectful and thoughtful gifts to give others.

Agree 100%.

OP as someone with former MH issues but who has not self harmed I would be uncomfortable even if my friend just showed this to me. How can you not realise this :confused:
I'd be offended by it. Even just the concept of being the recipient of a "mental health gift" would offend me full stop. I'd prefer someone catered a gift to my interests; not my diagnosis.
(edited 7 years ago)
OP. Ebay sell Paperblanks journals. Most are brand new and i've just seen on there that some are very cheap indeed.
I gave my favourite ex-girlfriend this printed onto a ceramic mug. Surprisingly, that isn't how she became my ex.
xx
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by tippyto452
:laugh:

Though, judging by the fact you were comedian of the year 4 years in a row, she probably just thought it was a good joke.

Well, she certainly was nothing if not a good sport.
Reply 29
I'd like that mug 😊 Not for the office or anything but it'd make me smile at home
Errr...bandaids as a gift? And how do the bandaids relate to her; does she self-harm?

If she does and you've got her bandaids it's like dark humour but....dunno. It's like me giving someone who can't have kids a baby doll. Or someone who's pet cat died a cat plushy. Maybe get her some Harry Potter pillowcases or something....
Original post by markova21
Why don't you just buy her a beautiful journal from Paperblanks?

:rofl: yes.
I agree with Doodle cant rep though. Its a very fine line and depends on her and the closeness of your relationship. They are thoughtful but agree the plasters are an odd choice because of the self harm link. I wouldnt think they were offensive, but be careful as they might be awkward so doodles idea was insightful. Its important you have a good insight into her actual anxiety and how it works, then you could find something practical thoughtful but a bit more on point imo. It was a nice thought though with the best of intentions.
Reply 33
Or you could give something which enables some self care treats. Not to be cliched about baths but Balt salts and fizzers. Or sometimes it helps to have a teddy with a particular texture for people who are very tactile. It can be a nice self soothing/grounding thing without being an obvious...this is coz I found out you're mental too gift. :wink: other ideas could be an essential oil that smells of sage - that can be grounding. A hamper of their favourite food. I like to get mini special jams for people and luxury chocolate

I'm a massive fan of dark humour but that's where I am in the process and because of the horrors I hear in my job. Basically dark humour sustains me only slightly less than caffeine.
Original post by ~Tara~
I'd like that mug 😊 Not for the office or anything but it'd make me smile at home

It sometimes shocks me to see how creative some coffee mugs can be lol
just saw one in the shape of an elephant and you hold it with two hands, one on the tail, and one on the trunk O__o
Yes id be offended
xx
(edited 5 years ago)
xx
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest