The Student Room Group

Cambridge Trust Scholarship-Shall I apply?

Hi guys.

As an overseas offer holder, I was recently informed by my college that I am eligible to apply for Cambridge Trust Scholarships, which mainly support international students with financial difficulties to study at Cambridge.

However, I had previously indicated on SAQ and some other relevant documents that my funding to study in university would solely come from my household incomes (an estimated annual amount was also given). In fact my family was well capable of providing sufficient financial support for my studies and living. Should I catch this chance to apply even though I might not fit the funding's aim?
Original post by Myrtenaster
Hi guys.

As an overseas offer holder, I was recently informed by my college that I am eligible to apply for Cambridge Trust Scholarships, which mainly support international students with financial difficulties to study at Cambridge.

However, I had previously indicated on SAQ and some other relevant documents that my funding to study in university would solely come from my household incomes (an estimated annual amount was also given). In fact my family was well capable of providing sufficient financial support for my studies and living. Should I catch this chance to apply even though I might not fit the funding's aim?

You can apply if you want to, but if your family income is sufficient enough to fund your fees/college charges, it's very unlikely you'll get it anyway. The purpose of the scholarship is to help student with genuine need for financial support and it's very selective especially for undergraduates, it's only available to very small number of students.
I think the trust/college send the email to all international students as a general information, not necessarily because they think you may need it.

Excerpt from the trust's website:

"If you do not require financial support in order to study at Cambridge, please do not apply for a scholarship. You will only be eligible for a scholarship if we are satisfied that you have financial need."

https://www.cambridgetrust.org/scholarships/key-points-for-undergraduate-applicants/
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by vincrows
You can apply if you want to, but if your family income is sufficient enough to fund your fees/college charges, it's very unlikely you'll get it anyway. The purpose of the scholarship is to help student with genuine need for financial support and it's very selective especially for undergraduates, it's only available to very small number of students.
I think the trust/college send the email to all international students as a general information, not necessarily because they think you may need it.

Excerpt from the trust's website:

"If you do not require financial support in order to study at Cambridge, please do not apply for a scholarship. You will only be eligible for a scholarship if we are satisfied that you have financial need."

https://www.cambridgetrust.org/scholarships/key-points-for-undergraduate-applicants/

Thank you very much! I will talk to my parents before making a decision.
Thank you very much! I will talk to my parents before making a decision.

I beg your pardon??

I copy the part of excerpt from their website again in case you missed it or didn't get what it means.

"If you do not require financial support in order to study at Cambridge, please do not apply for a scholarship."

This scholarship is for people who can't afford studying at Cambridge without extra financial help.
Please be sensible.
Thank you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi guys.

I would hope that you wouldn't attempt to use the system to your advantage like this - it's for families in genuine need, not those who can afford to pay but who'd rather not.
Reply 5
Original post by vincrows
I beg your pardon??

I copy the part of excerpt from their website again in case you missed it or didn't get what it means.

"If you do not require financial support in order to study at Cambridge, please do not apply for a scholarship."

This scholarship is for people who can't afford studying at Cambridge without extra financial help.
Please be sensible.
Thank you.

Sorry for making things a bit confusing......:redface:

I had read through the information on this website and fully understood what it meant. It really helped me to get to know the aim of the scholarship better. Btw now I decide not to apply.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Reality Check
I would hope that you wouldn't attempt to use the system to your advantage like this - it's for families in genuine need, not those who can afford to pay but who'd rather not.

Yeah I agree. Anyway, I've already given up the thought of applying after studying the scholarship's aim thoroughly.
You are still eligible for The Vice Chancellor's Award and International Scholarship, both of which are entirely merit based.
Reply 8
Original post by Michael Siena
You are still eligible for The Vice Chancellor's Award and International Scholarship, both of which are entirely merit based.

They are for PhDs. The OP is an undergraduate applicant.

https://www.cambridgetrust.org/scholarships/v-c-awards-and-cambridge-international-scholarships/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending