The Student Room Group

Did Churchill really say “future fascists will call themselves anti-fascists"?

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Mathemagicien

So I wouldn't pay too much attention to what Churchill thought about anti-fascists.

So, because you disagree with someone on one thing you must necessarily disagree with him on another? I suspect that may leave you agreeing with nobody on anything - a lonely old world.
Reply 2
1) There is no record of him ever saying it.
2) If he did say it, recall that he would have said it after he intentionally killed 5 million Indians in an attempt to silence Ghandi.

And even if he did say it... he himself was a huge racist.

From the 1937 Peel Commission:
I do not agree that the dog in a manger has the final right to the manger even though he may have lain there for a very long time. I do not admit that right. I do not admit for instance, that a great wrong has been done to the Red Indians of America or the black people of Australia. I do not admit that a wrong has been done to these people by the fact that a stronger race, a higher-grade race, a more worldly wise race to put it that way, has come in and taken their place[...]

So I wouldn't pay too much attention to what Churchill thought about anti-fascists.

There is no record of Churchill saying most of his quotes, most have been passed down by word of mouth
Why did you pose this as a question when you have already answered it?

The Italian writer Ennio Flaiano did have this to say; "In Italia i fascisti si dividono in due categorie: i fascisti e gli antifascisti."

"In Italy there are two types of fascists: fascists and anti-fascists".
I was more saying that because I doubt Churchill got along well with anti-fascists, so he was probably not objective.

He was merely predicting that in the future (i.e. not yet) fascists would be called anti-fascists. He was not making a value judgement on them. How does objectivity come into it? Is your judgement clouded by prejudice, by any chance?
Original post by Andy98
most have been passed down by word of mouth

As, indeed, they originated. He didn't take himself too seriously, unlike certain groups today.
Original post by Willy Pete
Why did you pose this as a question when you have already answered it?

The Italian writer Ennio Flaiano did have this to say; "In Italia i fascisti si dividono in due categorie: i fascisti e gli antifascisti."

"In Italy there are two types of fascists: fascists and anti-fascists".

In Italy, fascism is divided into two categories*

Sorry, I just had to :smile:
Original post by Dodgypirate
In Italy, fascism is divided into two categories*

Sorry, I just had to :smile:

The meaning remains the same.
Original post by Willy Pete
The meaning remains the same.

Of course :smile:

I'm just being pedantic!
How did he know what AntiFa would calll themselves!?
Reply 10
Original post by Good bloke
As, indeed, they originated. He didn't take himself too seriously, unlike certain groups today.

Indeed

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending