The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Anyone doing sociology or living in Bankside House this year?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by smegsxo
If the email I got is correct then I'm just out of that, I'm 120-130 (not sure I should say the exact room number so publicly haha) and ensuite too! :smile:

Ahh we are near each other though! It's a weird way of finding out our room though :s-smilie:
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 21
Original post by antigone-
Ahh we are near each other though! It's a weird way of finding out our room though :s-smilie:

My number is easy to remember so I'm almost not willing to believe it's right!:tongue: I don't have any clue how the room numbers work so I'm feeling quite in the dark about it all and it is a weird way to find out...Hopefully we'll see each other when we get there though!
Original post by smegsxo
My number is easy to remember so I'm almost not willing to believe it's right!:tongue: I don't have any clue how the room numbers work so I'm feeling quite in the dark about it all and it is a weird way to find out...Hopefully we'll see each other when we get there though!

Oh wait sorry - I think the room number is all 3 numbers! So in your 123 example, it is room 123 but each floor has 100 rooms so 123 is floor 1, 223 is floor 2 etc.

Does that make sense? Sorry I misread your first message!
Reply 23
Oh wait sorry - I think the room number is all 3 numbers! So in your 123 example, it is room 123 but each floor has 100 rooms so 123 is floor 1, 223 is floor 2 etc.

Does that make sense? Sorry I misread your first message!

Ah yes I see, that makes sense. I'm quite intrigued to know about my room; how big it is, where it is, what shared facilities I have :smile:
Original post by smegsxo
How are you feeling about it all?

I'm a mixture of nervous and excited I guess - I'm not really a clubbing type of person though, so I don't know what the first week will be like. I'm looking forward to starting though! How about you?

Ayy same as me!

You guys know your room numbers yet? If you pay towards your first instalment on hallpad (like literally £5), LSE send you an email with your room number in it!

Ah, thanks very much for this - just done it! Have you thought about which modules you're going to take in the first year yet?
Original post by wiltonbello
I'm a mixture of nervous and excited I guess - I'm not really a clubbing type of person though, so I don't know what the first week will be like. I'm looking forward to starting though! How about you?

Ah, thanks very much for this - just done it! Have you thought about which modules you're going to take in the first year yet?

I've chosen! Political theory and science for government, Faith, Power and Revolution for history and one of the literature modules for the external module :smile:
Reply 26
Original post by wiltonbello

Yeah I'm quite a mix of emotions! I'm not a clubbing person either, so at least we know that there will be a few who don't want to go out clubbing and it won't just be us alone in the place :smile: do you know your room number yet?
Original post by smegsxo
Ah yes I see, that makes sense. I'm quite intrigued to know about my room; how big it is, where it is, what shared facilities I have :smile:

Have you seen the videos for Bankside House? They show you an average room and the rest of the facilities.
Some of these links should be useful
http://www.lse.ac.uk/intranet/students/currentHallResidents/bankside/lifeAround.aspx
http://www.thebanksidehealthclub.co.uk/one-day-pass.aspx (Excellent gym)
http://www.lse.ac.uk/lifeAtLSE/accommodation/forStudents/residentialHalls/bankside/banksideHomepage.aspx
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 28
How is everyone feeling now that it's so close? Have you packed everything? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Original post by JohnGreek
Yeah - bringing my own pillows, duvets, bedsheets, everything just in case. I'll see whether I can get them to take away the standard desk chair they have so that I can bring my own.

I'll see about buying a mini fridge after the first week - £60 a year in electricity bills is nothing compared to the convenience (and security) of having your own fridge :smile:

Totally agree with you on the mini fridge, I've bought mine already! :tongue:
I've left packing until the last minute again, just like me really, so it's a mad panic currently! Wish I'd done it earlier, but hindsight is a wonderful thing...
Original post by JohnGreek
Yeah - bringing my own pillows, duvets, bedsheets, everything just in case. I'll see whether I can get them to take away the standard desk chair they have so that I can bring my own.

I'll see about buying a mini fridge after the first week - £60 a year in electricity bills is nothing compared to the convenience (and security) of having your own fridge :smile:

We bought our son a fridge - under counter size and he was very grateful. I can't see a problem bringing your own chair.
Original post by smegsxo
Hi!

Hey - was wondering how you're enjoying sociology and Bankside? I took a gap year but I'll hopefully be doing exactly what you did this year starting in September, so I just thought I'd ask! I have a couple of questions for you if you see this (if thats alright)

1) How lenient are they on changing furniture in rooms at Bankside? I think I want to change those curtains if possible haha

2) Is it quite a social hall? I've heard conflicting things but mostly that it is

3) How is Sociology? Are you enjoying the modules / how is the workload?

Thanks so much if you answer this and sorry for all the questions - just couldn't resist since you're doing my course and staying where I'll (probably) be staying.
Reply 32
Original post by Charlottesamady
Hey - was wondering how you're enjoying sociology and Bankside? I took a gap year but I'll hopefully be doing exactly what you did this year starting in September, so I just thought I'd ask! I have a couple of questions for you if you see this (if thats alright)

1) How lenient are they on changing furniture in rooms at Bankside? I think I want to change those curtains if possible haha

2) Is it quite a social hall? I've heard conflicting things but mostly that it is

3) How is Sociology? Are you enjoying the modules / how is the workload?

Thanks so much if you answer this and sorry for all the questions - just couldn't resist since you're doing my course and staying where I'll (probably) be staying.

Hi!
I'm not aware of them allowing you to change furniture here, but I've never actually tried so I don't know! The curtains are an...interesting choice on behalf of Bankside.

I'd argue it is a social hall, there's a bar and TV room as well as meeting your friends for dinner! Plus you get to know people on your course and other ways.

I really enjoy sociology, some of the courses aren't my thing and the reading for those can be so boring (and there's a lot of reading!!) but overall I really enjoy it. The workload, well there's a lot of work for sure, but if you're good at managing your time (unlike me) then you'll be fine! I expected a high workload, given it's LSE, but if you manage your time and sit down to do the work it's fine, plus the fact I live in London is a massive benefit for me!
(Sorry this wasn't that helpful, my laptop is playing up and keeps cutting out :frown:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending