The Student Room Group

Is Nicki Minaj a feminist icon?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cherryred90s
Now you want to start with someone else, with the same bs argument :laugh:

Yeah of course it's completely ridiculous to say that when a person makes a song so offensive to so many women she can't be a feminist 'icon' - anyone who thinks she's a feminist icon needs to consult a dictionary and a history book

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Underscore__
Yeah of course it's completely ridiculous to say that when a person makes a song so offensive to so many women she can't be a feminist 'icon' - anyone who thinks she's a feminist icon needs to consult a dictionary and a history book

Posted from TSR Mobile

Out of curiosity, which rappers do you like/ think are iconic? You spoke a bit about Kanye, are you a fan of him?
Out of curiosity, which rappers do you like/ think are iconic? You spoke a bit about Kanye, are you a fan of him?

I think Kanye is a rap icon. I know you like niches so here's one for you: Nicki Minaj is an icon of female rap

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, she is the greatest definition a feminist and deserves to be acknowledged as such. Her video anaconda represents the female race should be proud for their ass(ets) :wink: and in a matter of fact she is a great of expressionist of such.

LONG LIVE NICKI MANAGE
I think Kanye is a rap icon. I know you like niches so here's one for you: Nicki Minaj is an icon of female rap

Posted from TSR Mobile

So I take it you've heard some of his misogynistic, degrading and plain disrespectful lyrics? Not to mention his choice artwork for his music videos too, which appeared to have featured drugged up, naked and decapitated women. How can you refer to such a person as an icon?
(edited 7 years ago)
So I take it you've heard some of his misogynistic, degrading and plain disrespectful lyrics? Not to mention his choice artwork for his music videos too, which appeared to have featured drugged up, naked and decapitated women. How can you refer to such a person as an icon?

I didn't say he's a feminist icon though did I? He's a rap icon, that means he's influential, made memorable songs/albums and will be remembered for a long time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didn't say he's a feminist icon though did I? He's a rap icon, that means he's influential, made memorable songs/albums and will be remembered for a long time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't say the word feminist though, did I?

You think that a man who sexualises, disrespects and raps about using women to his own advantage is influential? So it's okay for him to influence people to treat women in the same way he describes in his raps? What kind of message is that sending to our youth? Wow.
I didn't say the word feminist though, did I?

You think that a man who sexualises, disrespects and raps about using women to his own advantage is influential? So it's okay for him to influence people to treat women in the same way he describes in his raps? What kind of message is that sending to our youth? Wow.

I didn't say it was okay? He's an icon in rap music but hardly a role model. Being an icon in a particular field is about the good you do in that field. Kanye has unarguably done a lot of good for rap and hasn't done anything against it. Nicki Minaj has done things against feminism thus she isn't a feminist icon

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didn't say it was okay? He's an icon in rap music but hardly a role model. Being an icon in a particular field is about the good you do in that field. Kanye has unarguably done a lot of good for rap and hasn't done anything against it. Nicki Minaj has done things against feminism thus she isn't a feminist icon

Posted from TSR Mobile

You said he's influential. What kind of influence is he with those lyrics?
Rap music isn't about being misogynistic, so that would mean that he has done things against rap so according to your logic he can't be a rap icon, nor can be he influential if he suggests that it's okay to mistreat women and use for them for sexual gain.
Rap music isn't about being misogynistic, so that would mean that he has done things against rap so according to your logic he can't be a rap icon, nor can be he influential if he suggests that it's okay to mistreat women and use for them for sexual gain.

Hip-Hop is absolutely rife with it. And homophobia. I have a lot of respect for Kanye speaking out against the latter though.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Hip-Hop is absolutely rife with it. And homophobia. I have a lot of respect for Kanye speaking out against the latter though.

Yeah it is consumed by it buts that not what rap is supposed to be about, that's just what it has become. It's rare to see someone become successful without incoporating such lyrics in their rhymes. That's my point. If we start dissecting everyone's lyrics and taking them literally, no current mainstream artist can be referred to as a rap icon/influential
Yeah it is consumed by it buts that not what rap is supposed to be about, that's just what it has become. It's rare to see someone become successful without incoporating such lyrics in their rhymes. That's my point. If we start dissecting everyone's lyrics and taking them literally, no current mainstream artist can be referred to as a rap icon/influential

What do you think Hip-Hop is supposed to be about?
Original post by saraxh
I think Emma Watson is.

Yeah cos she said that thing once and stuff, so inspiring.

He's influential in the sense that rappers who have come after him have been influenced by him, whether it's moving away from the typical killing and drug dealing lyrics or the experimental styles. The point of rap isn't to be misogynistic but there's no principle of rap music that's says it's against misogyny. Feminism is very opposed to objectification, body shaming, reliance on men and Floyd Mayweather. By referencing all of those things Nicki Minaj is doing things that are opposing feminism.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wilfred Little
What do you think Hip-Hop is supposed to be about?

In terms of origin, it was about story telling (perhaps about your family life/current events) and delivering it in a soulful manner. There's nothing soulful about glorifying murder, violence, drugs and raping women.
He's influential in the sense that rappers who have come after him have been influenced by him, whether it's moving away from the typical killing and drug dealing lyrics or the experimental styles. The point of rap isn't to be misogynistic but there's no principle of rap music that's says it's against misogyny. Feminism is very opposed to objectification, body shaming, reliance on men and Floyd Mayweather. By referencing all of those things Nicki Minaj is doing things that are opposing feminism.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So according to you, Nicki minaj is an influential icon?
Not at all. Maybe to retarded libfems.
So according to you, Nicki minaj is an influential icon?

I've already said she's an icon of female rap because of success. What you don't seem to understand is not every successful woman is feminist icon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've already said she's an icon of female rap because of success. What you don't seem to understand is not every successful woman is feminist icon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was a simple question, and I didn't include the word feminist. You didn't seem to be impressed by her many achievements so I'm curious:

In your view, is Nicki minaj an influential icon?
Reply 99
I don't believe so

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending