The Student Room Group

Leiden University International BA in Archaeology

Leiden University launched its International BA in Archaeology in September, 2015. Does anyone know anything about this program? Are there any North Americans there? Would you recommend it? I would not be eligible to enter until September, 2019, so there's time for this program to get established.

If anyone from Leiden is reading this, can you talk about minimum entry requirements for this program? Specifically, if all my other qualifications look good, will low (albeit passing) math scores hurt me?

Thanks!
Original post by Bigdig
Leiden University launched its International BA in Archaeology in September, 2015. Does anyone know anything about this program? Are there any North Americans there? Would you recommend it? I would not be eligible to enter until September, 2019, so there's time for this program to get established.

If anyone from Leiden is reading this, can you talk about minimum entry requirements for this program? Specifically, if all my other qualifications look good, will low (albeit passing) math scores hurt me?

Thanks!

Hi there, this is a message from Carolyn Barr, the International Relations Officer here at Leiden:

Hi! The programme has been well edtablished for a number of years, but lastyear it was the first year in was 100% in English. The internationalpopulation is growing but I'm not totally certain if any North Americansenrolled last year - I'll find out for you!The requirements depend on the diploma you are studying. Math scores are notassessed in the decision. For an American High School diploma student,the GPA must be 3.5-4.0 and 3 AP exam scores of 3 or higher must be submitted. If you are studying A-levels you need 3 academic A-levels it's grades ofC or higher, if you are studying the IB, a full diploma is required. Ifyou have questions, please email at [email protected]Best,Carolyn BarrLeidenUniversity�������?M�
Reply 2
Original post by tobiasxjones
Hi there, this is a message from Carolyn Barr, the International Relations Officer here at Leiden:

Hi! The programme has been well edtablished for a number of years, but lastyear it was the first year in was 100% in English. The internationalpopulation is growing but I'm not totally certain if any North Americansenrolled last year - I'll find out for you!The requirements depend on the diploma you are studying. Math scores are notassessed in the decision. For an American High School diploma student,the GPA must be 3.5-4.0 and 3 AP exam scores of 3 or higher must be submitted. If you are studying A-levels you need 3 academic A-levels it's grades ofC or higher, if you are studying the IB, a full diploma is required. Ifyou have questions, please email at [email protected]Best,Carolyn BarrLeidenUniversity�������?M�

Thanks you. This is helpful.
A couple of more questions -- I have read some controversy about the English taught programs in Dutch unis that suggests that the quality of the English lectures is poor and often hard to understand. Are all lectures in Archaeology now in English, or is there still a Dutch track too?

Also, the percent of international students at Leiden is about 10 to 12 percent which is lower than the percent in some other unis. I have seen things in the Leiden U. web site that suggest you are trying to get international students better integrated with Dutch students (even offering a cash prize for ideas how to do this!). How is this going? Are international students happy at Leiden? Thanks!
Hmmm... I have never had any troubles understanding any of my lectures. They are teaching in a second language so there are minor pronunciation and spelling mistakes, but nothing that would really suggest incompetence! I am an international student studying here and I have really enjoyed my time. I generally hang out with international students, but if you are keen to integrate a bit more, there are plenty of things to help with that. There is a club called Leiden United that has integration as its goal, and you are welcome to join that. Naturally the language barrier exists, but your integration is more dependent on your own desires I think. Sports clubs etc of course all help with this. Also your classes will be a mix, so that is a plus- there is still a Dutch track, but many of the Dutch students take the English track too. Does this help?
Reply 4
Original post by tobiasxjones
Hmmm... I have never had any troubles understanding any of my lectures. They are teaching in a second language so there are minor pronunciation and spelling mistakes, but nothing that would really suggest incompetence! I am an international student studying here and I have really enjoyed my time. I generally hang out with international students, but if you are keen to integrate a bit more, there are plenty of things to help with that. There is a club called Leiden United that has integration as its goal, and you are welcome to join that. Naturally the language barrier exists, but your integration is more dependent on your own desires I think. Sports clubs etc of course all help with this. Also your classes will be a mix, so that is a plus- there is still a Dutch track, but many of the Dutch students take the English track too. Does this help?

Yes, very helpful. Thanks.

Are you in the Archaeology program? How do you like it? Where else diyou consider going? Where are you from?
No, I am a Masters student in Middle Eastern studies. I love it here! Very fun and pretty city too! Lots to be done around the Netherlands too. I am half English half American...
Reply 6
Original post by Bigdig

Thanks!

Hey! Actually last month I applied this programme. According to QS Subject Ranking, Leiden’s Archaeology ranked 10th worldwide, and 7th in academic reputation. The Faculty of Archaeology in Leiden is the largest in continental Europe, and they have many field schools all over the world.

There is more detailed information about the academic strength of its various subfields in "QANU / Research Review Archaeology Leiden 2012" (http://media.leidenuniv.nl/legacy/report-archaeology-final.pdf).
Personally I know someone in this BA programme, and she thinks it’s excellent.

Regarding nationalities, some students are from English speaking countries US, UK, Australia, and Ireland. Most international students come from Europe, and two or three are Asian.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Iuris
Hey! Actually last month I applied this programme. According to QS Subject Ranking, Leiden’s Archaeology ranked 10th worldwide, and 7th in academic reputation. There is more detailed information about the academic strength of its various subfields in QANU / Research Review Archaeology Leiden 2012.

Personally I know someone in this BA programme, and she thinks it’s excellent. Regarding nationalities, some students are from English speaking countries US, UK, Australia, and Ireland. Most international students come from Europe, and two or three are Asian.

Good luck. I hope you get accepted!

Where are you from?
Reply 8
Original post by Bigdig
Good luck. I hope you get accepted!

Where are you from?

Are you applying to any other programs in Archaeology?
Reply 9
Original post by Bigdig
Are you applying to any other programs in Archaeology?

Yeah, if I was not admitted by Leiden University, I would consider applying Philosophy or Theology at KU Leuven, or studying Archaeology here in Germany. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending