The Student Room Group

Do you look down on people working manual jobs

Such as garbage men and those working in fast food restaurants

I'm just wondering because this forum is full of status hungry students obsessed with elite universities and investment banking

Scroll to see replies

I absolutely do not and am especially glad of the refuse collectors.

I should like to be a municipal park-keeper and wish I had become that.
In a way yes because I look up to people working in a profession that takes a lot of time to get good at.

Not saying that binmen and waiters need no skill but it is very easy to do and takes little skill.
But what a persons job is does not mean I will look at you too differently, personallity is key.

If it is like 18yr old working at mcdonalds that is ok as he might be going to uni to learn something very skilled but like a 30+yr old working there is bad
Original post by AperfectBalance
In a way yes because I look up to people working in a profession that takes a lot of time to get good at.

Not saying that binmen and waiters need no skill but it is very easy to do and takes little skill.
But what a persons job is does not mean I will look at you too differently, personallity is key.

If it is like 18yr old working at mcdonalds that is ok as he might be going to uni to learn something very skilled but like a 30+yr old working there is bad

You define people based on their jobs and what age they're doing that job? How is that of any concern to you?
It implies that they were lazy and didn't put in much effort at school.

As has been stated, this isn't the case if they are clearly students just doing a Saturday job. But no one should look to these type of things as a permanent career, as they simply don't pay enough to live off in today's climate.
Original post by cambio wechsel
I absolutely do not and am especially glad of the refuse collectors.

I should like to be a municipal park-keeper and wish I had become that.

Evidence, I think, that those who want to work with their hands can both use a subjunctive and differentiate between 'should' and 'would'.
N. A lot of manual jobs are v hard work for very little money. Unlike perfect balance I wouldn't bat an eyelid at a 30 uear old in McD's. Honest wage and they are making an effort, who knows what led them there? they could also be a student, divorced, homeless, have mental health issues. You dont know and the last thing you need is some snob coming and looking down on you for a job they are unlikely to be able to stick to for a long time.
"An honest day's work for an honest day's pay". Frankly, I have infinitely more respect for someone who gets up at the crack of dawn every morning and does a hard job to provide for his family than some spotty 20-year-old city graduate whose sole aim in life is to get rich quick by making money come out of computers.

And yes, women can work with their hands too.
Someone has to do them, where would we be without them? Many manual jobs are an important and integral part of a functioning civilisation.
No, especially garbage men, that job is a necessity and people in that profession get plenty more respect from me than say, beauticians.
Original post by NobleLeather
You define people based on their jobs and what age they're doing that job? How is that of any concern to you?

Look I work as a cashier but I also do other menial tasks, it took me a week or so to learn all the things, I need very little skill I could be replaced in an instant, but I am 16 so that is ok I do not have many serious job skills, I could not be a IT tech or be a lawyer yet.

But if I was 30 and still working as a cashier It could mean they have not really done that well in life.

Age matters a lot
Reply 11
No, I respect them. Especially since I wouldn't dare to do such job, unless really had to.
Having said that, I wouldn't want to date anyone doing manual job.
No. Because they are not unemployed.

I'm just wondering because this forum is full of status hungry students obsessed with elite universities and investment banking

Absolutely not - it would be silly for people to do so.
Original post by Count Bezukhov
It implies that they were lazy and didn't put in much effort at school.

As has been stated, this isn't the case if they are clearly students just doing a Saturday job. But no one should look to these type of things as a permanent career, as they simply don't pay enough to live off in today's climate.

Maybe they put in effort in school but still struggled.
Only if I am taller than them.
Someone has to do those jobs, no? Well at least until we get robots.

The world wouldn't function without menial labor. And "effort" is not all it takes, opportunity and luck with the genes matter an awful lot. In fact, some menial jobs require an incredible amount of effort.
Original post by Reality Check
"An honest day's work for an honest day's pay". Frankly, I have infinitely more respect for someone who gets up at the crack of dawn every morning and does a hard job to provide for his family than some spotty 20-year-old city graduate whose sole aim in life is to get rich quick by making money come out of computers.

And yes, women can work with their hands too.

Well said!

No - if anything I look up to them. I can't imagine working physically as hard as many have to.
Original post by Cherub012
Maybe they put in effort in school but still struggled.

Or maybe they just wanted to work with their hands, and the effort or lack at school is irrelevant? There's more than one model of 'success' in life, and it isn't just academic prowess. We've really lost our our way with this over the past 20 years or so.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending