The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham College Allocation Thread - 2017

So everyone up until today will be having their allocations sorted through at some point this month! Exciting!

Just to clear a few pointers out:
- it's completely random
- your college allocation is only likely to happen if you firm Durham and meet your offer
- unlikely to hear back for at least a week (expect around 13th Feb)
- if you got an offer on Feb 1st, you're still in the first round of allocations

Useful Links:
How are people allocated a college?
College allocation stats for 2016 entry

If you don't understand the stats, basically...

High chance of reallocation from:
University College
St Mary's College
St Chad's College

Medium chance of reallocation from:
St John's College
Josephine Butler College
Hatfield College
Collingwood College

Low chance of reallocation from:
St Cuthbert's Society
College of St Hild and St Bede
St Aidan's College
Grey College
Trevelyan College
Van Mildert College

If you get reallocated, these are the colleges statistically likely you could be reallocated to:
Hatfield College
St Cuthbert's Society
College of St Hild and St Bede
St Aidan's College
Grey College
Trevelyan College
Van Mildert College
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Is JB quite popular then? I really really don't want to be reallocated there as I want to be catered.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Tortoises172
Is JB quite popular then? I really really don't want to be reallocated there as I want to be catered.

It's unlikely you'll be reallocated there.
Reply 3
Original post by jamestg

- your college allocation is only likely to happen if you firm Durham and meet your offer

I haven't made my firm and insurance choices as I haven't heard back from all the uni's I applied to, will I have to firm Durham to get allocated to a college?
Original post by mutlu
I haven't made my firm and insurance choices as I haven't heard back from all the uni's I applied to, will I have to firm Durham to get allocated to a college?

No, everyone is given a college. I think what they meant is that if, after college allocation, you don't firm durham and then end up going there as insurance or whatever, you are not guaranteed the college you were originally allocated.
Reply 5
Following
Reply 6
You said that some colleges have higher or lower chances of REallocation. How is this different than initial allocation?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
I received my offer from Durham on 10th Jan and firmed it a week later after getting my final offer from Birmingham. I've gone for hild and bede, mainly because there were higher numbers of ensuite rooms and non shared rooms, and it seemed to have good sports areas. As this is low on reallocation and I'm in the first round of allocation would you say I'll get it? Also does the accommodation offer come in letter or email or via ucas? Thanks
Reply 8
Original post by SonnyP21
You said that some colleges have higher or lower chances of REallocation. How is this different than initial allocation?

It means that if you fail to get allocated into your initial college the chances of being reallocated to another college might be high/low due to not many/many people applying there. So Castle has loads of people applying there so the chances of being reallocated there are really low.
I've put Josephine Butler down as my preference and i really hope i get it as i would definitely prefer to be self-catered. I'm hoping not many people doing English would've applied there since it's quite far away from the English buildings, but we'll have to wait and see!
Why is Grey not so popular? (asking because I applied there and I thought it was lovely!)
If I applied with an open application but have now found a college I really like (St Hilde and St Bede) is it worth contacting the university and requesting?
Reply 12
Original post by isabelle99
If I applied with an open application but have now found a college I really like (St Hilde and St Bede) is it worth contacting the university and requesting?

In the same situation ;-;
Anyone else who's applied for PPE put down collingwood?
Reply 14
Original post by Grantchester
Congratulations to everyone who's got offers so far and my thanks to jamestg for setting this thread - your original post was very informative and helpful so thank you very much. I just have a few questions if that's OK:
1. For allocation, do all colleges send out emails or do they all send out letters and, if it's a mixture, which colleges send out emails and which send out letters?
2. Do all colleges will send out their emails/letters on/by this coming Monday?

Thanks in advance.

No worries!!

1) honestly have no idea about this, but looking at last year's thread it seems like it's going to be emails.
2) I would imagine emails/letters to be sent out of the course of the next two weeks :smile:

Sorry I cannot be any more precise, after all I'm just an applicant!
Original post by CatusStarbright
Why is Grey not so popular? (asking because I applied there and I thought it was lovely!)

Sometimes it's a case of what course you're doing- if your lectures take place in the city centre somewhere on the hill like Grey would be a bit of a trek.
Original post by teaandbiscuits24
Sometimes it's a case of what course you're doing- if your lectures take place in the city centre somewhere on the hill like Grey would be a bit of a trek.

True. I'm doing Law and it's very conveniently located close to the Law School.
Hey guys :hat2:

So do we hear back sometime this week?

Also, I have a disability, and at the open day Durham said I can get moved to a different college on grounds of my disability (one closest to the History stuff). Durham is going to be my insurance (or York - deciding after the visit days), but I'll likely end up at Durham. Should I wait until results when I know which uni I'm going to, or should I try and sort it out ASAP after college allocation?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SteamboatMickey

So do we hear back sometime this week?

I hope so! i booked the offer day on the 22nd but havent received allocation details so im not sure if its worth the travel up ( I live in London)
Hi, I've applied for Josephine Butler but because that's always oversubscribed I was wondering if there would be a chance for me to be pooled into St. John's, St. Chad's or St. Cuthbert's? I know University would never pool and those 3 are the only ones I liked

Quick Reply

Latest