The Student Room Group

How does A level maths work?

I want to do a levels maths next year.I heard of things like statistics,decision making and mechanics and something called modules.Can anyone explain to me how a level maths works and what is the difference between taking maths and further maths and only maths.I know it is harder to do both and probably more topics.An insight into what it is like to do a level maths and further maths would be appreciated.
Reply 1
I think the whole system is changing next year since maths is becoming a linear course but I can explain the system which people are currently doing:

Total 18 modules (4 Core modules, 3 Further Pure modules, 4 Statistic modules, 5 Mechanics modules, 2 Decision modules).

Modules are numbered: i.e. M1, M2, M3, M4, M5. (Generally getting more advanced as you get higher)

Every 6 modules you do counts as one A Level.
(Maths/Further Maths/Further Additional Maths A Level)

To get a Maths A level you needed to do all 4 Core modules and two 'applied' modules (Decision/Statistics/Mechanics).
To get a Further Maths A Level you needed to take at least 2 Further Pure modules and another 4 modules (excluding those you have chosen for your Maths A Level) on top of a standard Maths A Level (total 12 modules)
To get a Further Additional Maths A Level you needed to take all 18 modules.

I think you need to have to be taking maths to be allowed to take further maths and I believe you can't skip modules (i.e. you must be doing Mechanics 1 in order to do Mechanics 2). I'm not certain about these ones though.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous1502
I want to do a levels maths next year.I heard of things like statistics,decision making and mechanics and something called modules.Can anyone explain to me how a level maths works and what is the difference between taking maths and further maths and only maths.I know it is harder to do both and probably more topics.An insight into what it is like to do a level maths and further maths would be appreciated.

The new courses are not modular. You will study pure maths, mechanics and statistics in A level maths. If you choose to take A level further maths (a second A level with additional content) you will study more pure maths and, usually, more mechanics and statistics. All A level maths courses cover the same material but only part of the A level further maths course is prescribed.
Reply 3
Oh and about the new 2017 specification (for edexcel further maths):

Four papers:

1) Further Pure 1 (Matricies, Vectors, Complex numbers, Proof)
2) Further Pure 2 (Differential Eq., Polar Coordinates, Hyperbolics)
3) Option 1
4) Option 2

Option 1 Papers:
Further Pure 3 (Further calculus, Differential Eq., vectors, numerial methods, inequalities, coordinate systems)
Further Stats 1 (Linear regression, statistical distributions, correlation, hypothesis testing, chi squared)
Further Mechanics 1 (Moments + impulse, collisions, CoM, work + energy, elastics)
Decision 1 (Graphs, Algorithms, CPA, Linear programming)

Option 2 Papers:
Further Pure 4 (Groups, Further matrix, Further calculus, Further complex num, number theory, further sequence/series)
Further Stats 1 (Linear regression, statistical distributions, correlation, hypothesis testing, chi squared)
Further Stats 2 (Probability dist, combination of r.v., estimators, confidence intervals + tests, probability generating functions)
Further Mechanics 1 (Moments + impulse, collisions, CoM, work + energy, elastics)
Further Mechanics 2 (further kinematics/dynamics, circular motion, elastic collisions, statics of rigid bodies)
Decision 2 (Transportation, Allocation problems, flows in networks, game theory, recurrence relations)

(source:
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2017/specification-and-sample-assesment/a-level-l3-further-mathematics-specification.pdf )
Original post by Mr M
The new courses are not modular. You will study pure maths, mechanics and statistics in A level maths. If you choose to take A level further maths (a second A level with additional content) you will study more pure maths and, usually, more mechanics and statistics. All A level maths courses cover the same material but only part of the A level further maths course is prescribed.

so only 2 maths alevels from 2018(?) onwards then? is there no Add. Further maths equivalent?
Original post by DylanJ42
so only 2 maths alevels from 2018(?) onwards then? is there no Add. Further maths equivalent?

No.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hiq
Oh and about the new 2017 specification (for edexcel further maths):

Four papers:

1) Further Pure 1 (Matricies, Vectors, Complex numbers, Proof)
2) Further Pure 2 (Differential Eq., Polar Coordinates, Hyperbolics)
3) Option 1
4) Option 2

Option 1 Papers:
Further Pure 3 (Further calculus, Differential Eq., vectors, numerial methods, inequalities, coordinate systems)

Option 2 Papers:
Further Pure 4 (Groups, Further matrix, Further calculus, Further complex num, number theory, further sequence/series)
Further Stats 2 (Probability dist, combination of r.v., estimators, confidence intervals + tests, probability generating functions)
Further Mechanics 2 (further kinematics/dynamics, circular motion, elastic collisions, statics of rigid bodies)
Decision 2 (Transportation, Allocation problems, flows in networks, game theory, recurrence relations)

(source:
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2017/specification-and-sample-assesment/a-level-l3-further-mathematics-specification.pdf )

I want to do medicine at university.I really like maths I am not the best at maths I am working on an A at the moment.Should I do further maths?It is either further maths or english lit.
Reply 7
I want to do medicine at university.I really like maths I am not the best at maths I am working on an A at the moment.Should I do further maths?It is either further maths or english lit.

Do what you enjoy the most, although I think most medical schools may prefer further maths. Also don't worry about not being the best at maths right now - you still have time! If you are willing to dedicate the time to master each topic and then do past papers and such then it's certainly possible to get even an A* by the time exams come around.

Best of luck!

Neither further maths not English literature are great for medicine. What are your other choices?
Original post by Mr M
Neither further maths not English literature are great for medicine. What are your other choices?

Biology,chemistry and maths.
Biology,chemistry and maths.

Ok that's fine then. Some universities aren't keen on further maths for medicine.

http://furthermaths.org.uk/medicine
Original post by hiq
Do what you enjoy the most, although I think most medical schools may prefer further maths. Also don't worry about not being the best at maths right now - you still have time! If you are willing to dedicate the time to master each topic and then do past papers and such then it's certainly possible to get even an A* by the time exams come around.

Best of luck!

I will make my final decision when I get my GCSE results now I just applied for English as a 4th option to fill it in but to be honest I am not very keen on doing it.My parents think I am doing well in English so they made me pick it.I will make the final decision when I get my results.

Quick Reply

Latest