The Student Room Group

US sanctions Iran after missile test

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38860352

So Trump has started reimposing sanctions on Iran for the missile test. Small ones at this stage.

My questions are along the lines of.

1. Is Iran scared of the US?
2. Does the US have significant enough leverage to get Iran to do what it likes?
3. Is sanctions the best way to deal with Iran?
4. Should the US cancel the previous agreement?
5. Should the US be prepared to go to war and invade Iran?
6. Should the UK get involved?

No boring left v right arguments. Talk about Trump as POTUS and the US dealing with Iraq going forward.
actually the real question is are those missile they test even capable of carrying nuclear warheads.
Does the US even want to be involved with Iran?
This is not in the interest of Putin or Exxon. lol this could even suggest Putin's hold on Trump may not be all that firm. But then again, with the latest shelling at Ukraine and Trump's lack of action on that front it maybe suggested otherwise. I have no idea why I'm even here. kthxbai.
Reply 4
Original post by HucktheForde
actually the real question is are those missile they test even capable of carrying nuclear warheads.

Apparently th US says it contravenes the agreement, Russia and Iran say not. Israel isnly likely to want them to have missiles capable of striking them.

The Germans think it is nuclear capable.

The newspaper said the Sumar cruise missile was built in Iran and traveled around 600 km in its first known successful test. The missile is believed to be capable of carrying nuclear weapons and may have a range of 2,000 to 3,000 km, the paper said, citing intelligence sources.
Reply 5
Original post by Willy Pete
Does the US even want to be involved with Iran?

He was deeply critical of the Iran Nuclear deal calling it the worst ever made and wnats to rip it up. No idea what you mean by involved. Things simply are and they have to deal with them.
Reply 6
Iran > USA
Original post by Houthi5
Iran > USA

Certainly not militarily old chap.
Original post by 999tigger
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38860352

So Trump has started reimposing sanctions on Iran for the missile test. Small ones at this stage.
They haven't 'reimposed' sanctions, merely extended the list of sanctioned entities and individuals (U.S. sanctions on Iran have been, and remain, in place since 1979 and target Iran's alleged human rights abuses and ballistic missile programme).

My questions are along the lines of.

1. Is Iran scared of the US?
2. Does the US have significant enough leverage to get Iran to do what it likes?
3. Is sanctions the best way to deal with Iran?
4. Should the US cancel the previous agreement?
5. Should the US be prepared to go to war and invade Iran?
6. Should the UK get involved?

1. Normally I would say no, but Trump is such an irrational actor that I think even the Iranians are on edge.

2. No. The Iran Deal comprehensively removed UNSCR authorised sanctions on Iran, and Iran and Europe have greatly expanded their trade ties since (with France even recently confirming their strong commitment to the Iran Deal and to trade with Iran). The U.S. will not be able to get Russia, China and the EU to rebuild the sanctions regime - it's over. Additionally, if Trump reneges from the deal, it will give Iran the legitimacy to withdraw from its own obligations under the deal, and here they could simply blame it on the U.S..

3. If they can be 'smart' sanctions and tailored, perhaps, but in general the sanctions regime on Iran (like most sanctions regimes) hurt ordinary Iranians more than the regime. Despite the sanctions and anti-U.S. propaganda, it should be noted that most Iranians still have a positive view of the U.S..

4. Absolutely not. The IAEA have verified Iran's compliance with the deal on numerous occasions, and the deal removes (i) the possibility of Iran developing a nuclear weapon for at least the next 15 years, and (ii) the military option.

5. As to (ii), Iran is far larger and has a much larger population than Iraq and Afghanistan combined, so there is no real military option re: Iran (other than targeted airstrikes every few months).

6. Absolutely not. The UK and Iran have been rebuilding ties since the Iran Deal that we worked so hard to create, there is zero political appetite nor financial capacity for what would be the biggest war in decades. I should also add that the notion of invading a country because they dared test their military equipment is ridiculous.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Tempest II
Certainly not militarily old chap.

lol I know.
Original post by Palmyra
They haven't 'reimposed' sanctions, merely extended the list of sanctioned entities and individuals (U.S. sanctions on Iran have been, and remain, in place since 1979 and target Iran's alleged human rights abuses and ballistic missile programme).

1. Normally I would say no, but Trump is such an irrational actor that I think even the Iranians are on edge.

2. No. The Iran Deal comprehensively removed UNSCR authorised sanctions on Iran, and Iran and Europe have greatly expanded their trade ties since (with France even recently confirming their strong commitment to the Iran Deal and to trade with Iran). The U.S. will not be able to get Russia, China and the EU to rebuild the sanctions regime - it's over. Additionally, if Trump reneges from the deal, it will give Iran the legitimacy to withdraw from its own obligations under the deal, and here they could simply blame it on the U.S..

3. If they can be 'smart' sanctions and tailored, perhaps, but in general the sanctions regime on Iran (like most sanctions regimes) hurt ordinary Iranians more than the regime. Despite the sanctions and anti-U.S. propaganda, it should be noted that most Iranians still have a positive view of the U.S..

4. Absolutely not. The IAEA have verified Iran's compliance with the deal on numerous occasions, and the deal removes (i) the possibility of Iran developing a nuclear weapon for at least the next 15 years, and (ii) the military option.

5. As to (ii), Iran is far larger and has a much larger population than Iraq and Afghanistan combined, so there is no real military option re: Iran (other than targeted airstrikes every few months).

6. Absolutely not. The UK and Iran have been rebuilding ties since the Iran Deal that we worked so hard to create, there is zero political appetite nor financial capacity for what would be the biggest war in decades. I should also add that the notion of invading a country because they dared test their military equipment is ridiculous.

PRSOM :angry:
humans have been going for maybe 500 000 years.... the next 50 will be the hardest.

Quick Reply