The Student Room Group

Do you look down on people working manual jobs

Scroll to see replies

Possible. But then who would do those jobs if everyone was able to fulfill their potential?
Reply 21
Original post by Cherub012
No. Because they are not unemployed.

Definitely agree with you here! It's the people who are on the dole doing absolute jack all with their lives that deserve to be looked down upon.

I think it is disgusting to judge someone for doing any kind of work, we are all so judgemental these days - too many people possess the mentality that "if you aren't in further education you have failed life!".

Also, just because people don't go to University after they leave school doesn't mean to say they won't be successful. It's not for everyone, and forcing people into doing pointless degrees or a degree they are not interested in for the sake to please society is just outrageous.
Original post by Count Bezukhov
It implies that they were lazy and didn't put in much effort at school.

Really?! Kids can come from disturbed background, and go to schools with many disruptive 'students'. Not everyone gets the start in life that everyone deserves.
Original post by Count Bezukhov
But no one should look to these type of things as a permanent career, as they simply don't pay enough to live off in today's climate.

If people enjoy it, why not? Bin [wo]men may like being outside, and the hours may be convenient for them. Waiters and waitresses may enjoy the people contact - it's considered a true profession (at a certain level) in some countries, e.g. France.

There are a whole host of tradespeople who, whilst not typically academic, have real skills. Have you ever tried brick laying?

Anyone doing what they enjoy for a living has won.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Reality Check
Or maybe they just wanted to work with their hands, and the effort or lack at school is irrelevant? There's more than one model of 'success' in life, and it isn't just academic prowess. We've really lost our our way with this over the past 20 years or so.

Or that yes.
Original post by Nottie
No, I respect them. Especially since I wouldn't dare to do such job, unless really had to.
Having said that, I wouldn't want to date anyone doing manual job.

Why?
No, someone has to do it.
Reply 26
Original post by SirMilkSheikh
Why?

because we'd live in 2 different worlds. And my parents would never approve that.
Original post by RogerOxon
Really?! Kids can come from disturbed background, and go to schools with many disruptive 'students'. Not everyone gets the start in life that everyone deserves.

If people enjoy it, why not? Bin [wo]men may like being outside, and the hours may be convenient for them. Waiters and waitresses may enjoy the people contact - it's considered a true profession (at a certain level) in some countries, e.g. France.

There are a whole host of tradespeople who, whilst not typically academic, have real skills. Have you ever tried brick laying?

Anyone doing what they enjoy for a living has won.

Precisely. Anyone who has ever tried to DIY plaster a wall, or install a boiler, or repair a car soon realises that tradesmen are immensely skilled at what they do. Intelligence comes in many different guises, and I find it depressing that we've fetishised academic success as the benchmark by which all other 'success' is measured.
At the end of the day they need to make money to provide for themselves. If thats looked down upon then wow. Just people making a living. Nothing to look down at. Some people prefer to work a lower skilled job for less pay anyway.

Accountants and Investment bankers work way to much. I know the pay is amazing but my cousin works 12-13 hours a day! He doesn't even have time to see his family. He literally goes sleep then work. Repeat. Not all jobs are like that though. Just an example.
Original post by Nottie
because we'd live in 2 different worlds. And my parents would never approve that.

Ok then, a man has to be a doctor (to live in your world) and satisfy your parents' every wish, in order to be with you. I see.
Reply 30
I don't look down at anyone who works
I actually want to be an accountant lol. And thats my plan aswell. I was trying to think in the perspective of a person working them kinds of jobs. Didn't mean to offend anyone :smile:
Not at all. I work in agriculture for 2-4 weeks at a time, so I appreciate how hard it is, particularly if you have to utilise every hour of light. I respect people who do it all the time. It also puts into perspective those who whine about how hard they find sitting on their arse while working or studying.
No.

Also, don't binmen make quite a bit these days?
I'm am the most obsessively intellectual person you're likely ever going to meet, but...

You can't request a service and also look down upon people providing that service!
Reply 35
No I don't like to judge people. At the end of the day they are still going to work and making some sort of living for themselves and their families. I sympathise with cleaners go example when they have to pick up litter people have dropped on the floor which could've easily been put in the nearest bin
It seems it's nothing to do with the job and everything to do with the amount of money earned and the 'image' it portrays.

Wealth and acquisition are so very often indicators that the person is an arrogant, selfish, condescending schmuck who ruthlessly exploits low paid staff.

See, anyone can play the stereotype game.
(edited 7 years ago)
Im just amazed if you were English why you would bother. All the usual workplace 'teamwork' nonsense plus the fact your gonna be working with almost exclusively chavs and Poles, your not gonna really meet anybody of any significance, your social life if anything is gonna get worse, most women even secretaries and hairdresser and other nightclub trash will consider you pondlife and at the end of the week you cant even do much with the money you have left. Your better off trying to run a drug gang or something, certainly you'll get more pussy than if you rely on the dole office or work with poles 9-5. Asians have the right idea if you cant be a baller in the city or in medicine ****ing be a bare man and hit the roads...
Original post by Abclkj
I sympathise with cleaners go example when they have to pick up litter people have dropped on the floor which could've easily been put in the nearest bin

One of the things that I have a hard time with in the US is (some) people in supermarkets.

There are the ones that place their bags by the till, do nothing whilst their shopping is scanned, and then wait for the cashier to bag everything. It appears culturally acceptable here, but I could never do it - it just seems like a lack of respect for the cashier to me.

Others just leave their trolley close to their parking space, expecting someone else to put it where it should be. That causes an issue when you turn into a space (with cars either side), only to suddenly see a trolley.

I fell better now :smile:
To everybody saying yes because "They were lazy at school" or whatever, that is simply judging a book by its cover, luckily a lot of us have been graced with positive upbringings, but not everybody is as fortunate as we are. Before looking at somebody such as that of a bin man, get to know his upbringing/ back story before you make acclamation's you cannot prove :biggrin: That's how I see it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending