The Student Room Group

York Uni - ugliest uni?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by niteninja1
or
Aberystwyth University
which is low ranked but has nice buildings

Aberystwyth University - does this university still exist? About 5 years ago it used to be ranked 40-50th. Now it's something like 80-90th. Perhaps it is a victim of other 'elite' RG Universities lowering their entry requirements from AAB to BBB, or because it is stuck in middle of nowhere, far from the major cities, in a town full of local folk who most students would call ignorant brexiters? Perhaps both.
Original post by Voi
Aberystwyth University - does this university still exist? About 5 years ago it used to be ranked 40-50th. Now it's something like 80-90th. Perhaps it is a victim of other 'elite' RG Universities lowering their entry requirements from AAB to BBB, or because it is stuck in middle of nowhere, in a town full of local folk who most students would call ignorant brexiters? Perhaps both.

well you seem to rank looks over results.

and as for ignorant brexiteers im 20 and voted to leave its a shame less than 50% of under 35's didnt actually care either way
Reply 42
Original post by niteninja1
well you seem to rank looks over results.

and as for ignorant brexiteers im 20 and voted to leave its a shame less than 50% of under 35's didnt actually care either way

I too voted Brexit. But I'm not talking about us lot, I'm talking more about the foreign students, especially the Chinese. A lot of Northern Universities have to import the Chinese to fill vacancies. I can't imagine little Wu Li from God knows where in China would want to while away her University days in an inward looking town such as Aberystwyth, where all the locals would single her out and generally make her life a Hellish nightmare.
I just went both. Picked Southampton for its relative prestige, and the fact it's ocean-based to remind me of home (Llandudno).

I've lived in a concrete jungle for the past 15 years and it is dismally depressing; I'm sure 3 years in somewhere similar would drain you. I'm not talking about universities having pillar and spears everywhere, but somewhere that at least looks appealing definitely matters.
Original post by Voi
Aberystwyth...a town full of local folk who most students would call ignorant brexiters

Or the most pro-Europe town in the United Kingdom. Here's the Guardian:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/mar/14/romford-aberystwyth-most-eurosceptic-europhiliac-places-uk
Reply 45
Original post by cambio wechsel

The reason for that is simple. Considering Aberystwyth is a very small town, students would significantly outnumber locals. So, it should really come as no surprise then that it voted to remain (as most students vote remain). I bet the majority of its native locals voted for Brexit. A truly divided town it is.
Coventry uni is by far the ugliest.
I'm bound to wonder why this thread is now advertised on the homepage, 'UK's ugliest Uni?', with a picture of Christ Church Oxford and the question "York, Bristol, Sussex...or somewhere else?"
Original post by 27FT
isn't Brunel an expoly though. They all look shite

Nottingham Trent

Greenwich

Leeds Beckett

London Met

middlesex

teesside

westminster

etc etc
Original post by Voi
The reason for that is simple. Considering Aberystwyth is a very small town, students would significantly outnumber locals. So, it should really come as no surprise then that it voted to remain (as most students vote remain). I bet the majority of its native locals voted for Brexit. A truly divided town it is.

Exams finished in May 2016...it's unlikely that many students were still resident for the referendum.
Reply 50
If you go to the uni you quickly realise that the concrete mess (It actually worried me that the entire campus was like this before I went) that you see in practically all photos is simply one of 9 colleges, and that a lot of the uni looks like this:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 51
Original post by JooW
If you go to the uni you quickly realise that the concrete mess (It actually worried me that the entire campus was like this before I went) that you see in practically all photos is simply one of 9 colleges, and that a lot of the uni looks like this:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Image 1. Looks very much like a block of retirement flats.

Image 2. Oh wow. A photo of a few trees and a bridge taken at an artificial angle. I bet the photographer had to be hoisted down by a crane to take that photograph. No ordinary student could stand in that spot I bet.

Image 3. One old building, which I bet isn't even a grade 1 listed building.

I'm sorry but I'm still not impressed.
Original post by XOR_
We as a nation should convert all churches/cathedrals into uni buildings.

No
Reply 53
Original post by Voi

Image 2. Oh wow. A photo of a few trees and a bridge taken at an artificial angle. I bet the photographer had to be hoisted down by a crane to take that photograph. No ordinary student could stand in that spot I bet.

Obvious troll is obvious. I would still rather attend a top 20 uni than go to York St. John simply because it looks nicer, or Plymouth because it has a nice beach. You cannot expect a 1960s university to look like a red brick
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by Voi

There's just no pleasing you, is there? :rolleyes:
Reply 55
Original post by JooW
Obvious troll is obvious. I would still rather attend a top 20 uni than go to York St. John simply because it looks nicer, or Plymouth because it has a nice beach. You cannot expect a 1960s university to look like a red brick

It won't be top 20 for much longer. Just look at the league tables. It's been sliding down for the past 5 years. It used to be a top 10 University. I would consider a transfer to another University if I were you. York is a sinking ship, which is sinking into that Lake. Can't wait until it finally goes under. It's an ugly blight on the Yorkshire landscape. Give all of our eyes a good rest.
Original post by PQ

Nottingham Trent

Greenwich

Leeds Beckett

London Met

middlesex

teesside

westminster

etc etc

Shhh don't go against the Circlejerking :rolleyes:
Reply 57
Google king's manor. That's a working part of the university in the town centre.
Original post by Voi
It won't be top 20 for much longer. Just look at the league tables. It's been sliding down for the past 5 years. It used to be a top 10 University. I would consider a transfer to another University if I were you. York is a sinking ship, which is sinking into that Lake. Can't wait until it finally goes under. It's an ugly blight on the Yorkshire landscape. Give all of our eyes a good rest.

From this comment it sounds like either troll or just received a rejection and wanted desperately to go.
Reply 59
Original post by kevin6767
From this comment it sounds like either troll or just received a rejection and wanted desperately to go.

Neither. Just telling the much-needed truth. Here, see for yourself

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/york/performance

9th in 2010.
20th in 2017.

At this rate, it'll be 30th come 2025. You mark my words.

What the university needs, like I keep saying, is a good makeover. It's all about what the university looks like nowadays, what the internet, facebook, selfies and the like. No one wants to be taking selfies next to a block of old concrete - their mates might mistake it for a council estate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending