The Student Room Group

Should I stay at university?

I've just started the second term at uni in my first year studying English. I had an awful first term, I'm from Northern Ireland and I've come to uni in England, and I didn't realise how much moving away would effect me. I really don't like living in halls, they are noisy and I don't feel settled. I feel very suffocated here, it seems there are only students everywhere and I feel very cut off from the outside world. I also have ongoing mental health problems such as depression and anxiety, which have been intensified heightened.
I've almost left so many times, I just feel like everyday is so long and I have to drag myself through it, my favourite part of the day is going to sleep. I've always wanted to do English, as I want a career in areas like journalism, publishing or acting, but I find the course here extremely drab, I struggle to pay attention in lectures and I dread doing the reading as it doesn't interest me.
If I finish the academic year here, I can transfer to a uni closer to home which may help, but I don't know if I can last another week here never mind months. I've been told I just have to accept that I don't enjoy the work just to get the degree, but now I'm starting to doubt if not only I'm at the wrong uni but I'm doing the wrong course. I don't really have a plan if I drop out, I'll probably get a job and then maybe do some voluntary work, but I'm not sure.
Does anyone have any advice on what I should do??
Original post by Cookie2008
I've just started the second term at uni in my first year studying English. I had an awful first term, I'm from Northern Ireland and I've come to uni in England, and I didn't realise how much moving away would effect me. I really don't like living in halls, they are noisy and I don't feel settled. I feel very suffocated here, it seems there are only students everywhere and I feel very cut off from the outside world. I also have ongoing mental health problems such as depression and anxiety, which have been intensified heightened.
I've almost left so many times, I just feel like everyday is so long and I have to drag myself through it, my favourite part of the day is going to sleep. I've always wanted to do English, as I want a career in areas like journalism, publishing or acting, but I find the course here extremely drab, I struggle to pay attention in lectures and I dread doing the reading as it doesn't interest me.
If I finish the academic year here, I can transfer to a uni closer to home which may help, but I don't know if I can last another week here never mind months. I've been told I just have to accept that I don't enjoy the work just to get the degree, but now I'm starting to doubt if not only I'm at the wrong uni but I'm doing the wrong course. I don't really have a plan if I drop out, I'll probably get a job and then maybe do some voluntary work, but I'm not sure.

If you want to go into journalism, you should probably stick at it, or try to transfer elsewhere (research their course to see if it looks better). In your second year you can move out of halls and live with people you like more.
The same course at a different university could be a very different experience. Consider a transfer, the change of environment and somewhat fresh start might be just what you need!

University is too expensive and life is too short to do something you don't enjoy.

You're just in your first year, you've had a false start. I was in your position but I decided to go into second year which I ended up failing because my heart just wasn't in it.

Dropping out may not be the best option (Don't You Dare Quote Famous People Who Dropped Out) but rather transfer and start again! I only say that as many people drop out after a not so good first attempt and never get back on that horse to try again.

But you have to be sure it is just this course and work on trying to find out what you do want. Maybe visit some other courses/universities to find out if you just need that change. But if academics is not just for you, maybe it is time for you to try something different. Lectures and papers are not for everyone! <---- That does not mean anything towards intelligence, we're intelligence in different ways. Yours might not be best brought out in the academic environment, maybe you need a more practical course like journalism?!

1. Lots of people suffer homesickness, some people get over it and others do not.the key is to keep busy and create a life you enjoy where you are.
2. You dont like Halls then maybe you would have been netter in non halls i.e a student house or even on your own. The danger is its hot or miss with flatmates, it cna make it a nightmare or they cna be your family.
3. You dont like the course. Then find one you do like. You get a gift year so its possible to change course completely and start again or try for a transfer if you cna find someone to take you and your grades are good enough. Three years of misery oesnt sound liek a good deal.

My emergency plan:

Think how important your degree is to you. Its possible to do it later i.e work for a few years or longer until you know. You only get full funding once, so dont waste it.

Find a career you like and want to go for then find a course with a syllabus that interests you. Why not journalism or publishing? That requires research from you.

Either seek a transfer, although youd need to stick the year out and do well or start again (especially if its a different course) at a new uni with a new experience. Being close to home may or may not be the difference. You dont sound liek a transfer would work based on results, willingness to stay or whether you wnat to do the same course.

Get a job abd reapply through UCAS when ready.

Oh and you need to make headway on the mental health issues as they cna ruin any uni experience.
You also can't put a price on mental health! Should of mentioned that earlier.
Reply 5

If you could last the few short months ( although that will seem a lifetime if youre unhappy I know) then maybe take a full year out doing something completely different so you can get your thoughts together on what you really want to do in life.
Do you manage to get out and about much in the outdoorsy stuff? its great for when you're feeling low. Even just joining in a local walking group to clear away some of the cobwebs.

hope this helps
Reply 6
You do what you like love. Though it begs the question, why are you at university if you can't make up your own mind and need our help to do so? Sounds like you're not strong enough, mentally that is.
Original post by Voi
You do what you like love. Though it begs the question, why are you at university if you can't make up your own mind and need our help to do so? Sounds like you're not strong enough, mentally that is.

You're at university to learn and find out who you are <3
Reply 8
Original post by FailedTeacher
You're at university to learn and find out who you are <3

To learn, yes. To find out who you are? Don't be ridiculous. Only a mug would get themselves into 40K worth of debt to find out who they are. No wonder you're a failed teacher with that attitude. Coming on here telling all these younguns to saddle themselves with an unpayable debt just to find out who they are. A job. That's what'll tell you what type of person you are in the end - and doesn't require all this debt.
Original post by Voi
To learn, yes. To find out who you are? Don't be ridiculous. Only a mug would get themselves into 40K worth of debt to find out who they are. No wonder you're a failed teacher with that attitude. Coming on here telling all these younguns to saddle themselves with an unpayable debt just to find out who they are. A job. That's what'll tell you what type of person you are in the end - and doesn't require all this debt.

You're so mean :frown: I feel really upset.

But I still stand by my belief. University is one of those things you try in life and for some, it is not for them whilst for others, it is but it requires some thinking about what is best for them.

I feel like you have separated learning and learning who you are, when they are one and the same.

I don't believe I suggested the university experience will help you understand yourself completely, that is not really done within your lifetime.

But if I may suggest one idea that does help see what kind of person you are? That is how you treat others. There is nothing noble about being superior over your fellow man, just superior over your former self :wink:

Good-day to you!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending