The Student Room Group

Turning down a place at medical school to try again next year

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Moonstruck16
You're arguing with a kid who thought he could apply to 5 medical schools....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Education is important :rofl: :rofl:

Original post by Cherub012
I used to be like this at one point except with non-STEM subjects. "Only STEM degrees are worth doing."

Then you realise a degree in Latin and Greek can earn you a job in the City, gradually getting you a six-figure salary.

hahaha and a 2:1 degree in Classics can make you the foreign secretary of the UK as well :wink:
Original post by wolfmoon88
Education is important :rofl: :rofl:

hahaha and a 2:1 degree in Classics can make you the foreign secretary of the UK as well :wink:

I know a girl who graduated with an anthropology degree from UCL. Has a 40k starting salary.

Meanwhile, a prospective doctor will have another three years of study and will have a starting salary of no more than 30k. :wink:
I know a girl who graduated with an anthropology degree from UCL. Has a 40k starting salary.

Meanwhile, a prospective doctor will have another three years of study and will have a starting salary of no more than 30k. :wink:

Yep :tongue: exactly :biggrin:
Original post by fennec
I know I will get in

You certainly don't. Turning down a medicine offer with the intention of applying again is enormously risky. You are risking a catastrophic result in return for a minor gain.

Perhaps you haven't read this: http://themsag.com/uk-medical-schools/competition-ratios
Original post by Good bloke
You certainly don't. Turning down a medicine offer with the intention of applying again is enormously risky. You are risking a catastrophic result in return for a minor gain.

Perhaps you haven't read this: http://themsag.com/uk-medical-schools/competition-ratios

That's not OP
That's not OP

Not OP but they both need to hear the same message. That getting in is not absolute.
That's not OP

Oops. never mind, the message is the same. An offer to study medicine is like gold dust and should be treated accordingly.
Original post by Good bloke
Oops. never mind, the message is the same. An offer to study medicine is like gold dust and should be treated accordingly.

Not OP but they both need to hear the same message. That getting in is not absolute.

Of course.
Your jumping the gun a bit, especially seeing as there's a good chance you won't get that offer. But if you do it would be madness to turn it down, you know how competitive medicine is and you could be risking your career by turning down the chance. An offer this year does not mean you will get one next year.
Reply 29
Original post by fennec
What's the problem with being self- confident? :confused: I know I will get in I got the vocation, I'm very ambitious and I have all the academic requirements needed of course I'm gonna enjoy it :cool:

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Do not say you know you are going to get in because with medicine they can reject you for anything
I'm assuming you are in yr12 and if so you won't have done UKCAT yet which is so important for medicine
There is a difference between being confident and being cocky

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paddyx
I applied to four medical schools this year and got interviews at three of them. But since I put my application in I have a bit gone off one of the three schools where I am being interviewed. I had thought that if I got an offer only from the school that I have gone off that I might turn down the offer and try again next year. However, I have been told that if you are offered a place at any medical school in the UK and turn the offer down all other UK medical schools will reject a subsequent application from you. Is this true?

That is not true. If you get your A Level results and feel like starting over again, then that's fine but you need to be aware of the risks involved. If you have one bad day, your UKCAT could go really badly and that can weaken your application massively. You will have to face more interviews and there is always a chance that you won't get in next year. However, Someone in the year above me got an offer from kings to do medicine but wanted to give Oxford another try and has gotten an offer to study there for next year. You just need to be aware of what is at stake and prepared to do all of the hard work (UKCAT, interviews PS the rejections etc.)

You are spending 5 years at the university so if you think you will not like the course or what the medical school has to offer, it's best to jump off the boat now then midway through the course. But it's very risky and not everyone will be in the same position as you to do this (some are lucky enough to get one let alone 3!).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by paddyx
I applied to four medical schools this year and got interviews at three of them. But since I put my application in I have a bit gone off one of the three schools where I am being interviewed. I had thought that if I got an offer only from the school that I have gone off that I might turn down the offer and try again next year. However, I have been told that if you are offered a place at any medical school in the UK and turn the offer down all other UK medical schools will reject a subsequent application from you. Is this true?

Your subsequent application will only be rejected if you enrolled into a med school and drop out.
It's not impossible to apply successfully next year for medicine having turned down an offer. However, it's an exceptionally stupid thing to do, and anyone on the admission team would probably question both your intellect and your commitment to medicine having done so. You're by no means guaranteed to get another place next year, and the 3 that have interviewed you would probably not give you another chance to prove yourself, limiting your options.

There's also the issue of even if you did get in- fees are going up every year, it'd be another year without a salary, you'd be slightly older than others in your cohort etc.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 33
What do you mean "gone off"?

Well I am very confident in my choice about the other three schools. The more I research and hear about the fourth school the less confident I am about the choice. If I were to do the UCAS form again I don't think that I would put it down.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by studentsixth
That is not true. If you get your A Level results and feel like starting over again, then that's fine but you need to be aware of the risks involved. If you have one bad day, your UKCAT could go really badly and that can weaken your application massively. You will have to face more interviews and there is always a chance that you won't get in next year. However, Someone in the year above me got an offer from kings to do medicine but wanted to give Oxford another try and has gotten an offer to study there for next year. You just need to be aware of what is at stake and prepared to do all of the hard work (UKCAT, interviews PS the rejections etc.)

You are spending 5 years at the university so if you think you will not like the course or what the medical school has to offer, it's best to jump off the boat now then midway through the course. But it's very risky and not everyone will be in the same position as you to do this (some are lucky enough to get one let alone 3!).

Thanks for confirming that what I have been told is incorrect. But I fully accept your point that I would have to think the risks through very carefully.
Reply 35
Original post by navarre
It's not impossible to apply successfully next year for medicine having turned down an offer. However, it's an exceptionally stupid thing to do, and anyone on the admission team would probably question both your intellect and your commitment to medicine having done so. You're by no means guaranteed to get another place next year, and the 3 that have interviewed you would probably not give you another chance to prove yourself, limiting your options.

There's also the issue of even if you did get in- fees are going up every year, it'd be another year without a salary, you'd be slightly older than others in your cohort etc.

Thanks for the wise words. I understand what you are saying.
Reply 36
Original post by paddyx

Hi!

I'm a first year med student so I applied last year. From my experience, I would say first of all wait until you hear back from all your unis before you make a decision. I would really discourage you from turning an offer down because you really can't tell whether you will get another offer the next year you apply (it only takes a bit of bad luck to mess up the UKCAT for example and that's most of the unis gone). Honestly, everyone I've talked to has been really enjoying their time at med school even if it wasn't their first choice! It might not seem like it but you're really lucky to have an offer; I know people that would genuinely fight you for that offer! If you really don't feel it's right for you, maybe go to the offer holder day and talk to current students at that uni about what's worrying you before you decide.
Good luck!
Unless you apply to London Met for Tourism and Management or something like that with your 5th choice :wink:

(not insulting London Met or anything but people have done it before and have gotten offers)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahem...where did you get that idea from...?? That's an alternate fact mate.

Nothing wrong with being self-confident tbh! being over-confident is an issue, being self-confident is not. If you have all the academic requirements then go ahead! :smile: Good luck! if you do decide to have a laugh and do that kind of thing for your 5th choice, tag me in :tongue:

If you have any questions about medical school choices and such just message me, I'll be glad to help :tongue: (decided against applying to medicine in the last moment but I took the UKCAT and everything :rofl:)

You calling me over-confident bruv?
Original post by paddyx
Well I am very confident in my choice about the other three schools. The more I research and hear about the fourth school the less confident I am about the choice. If I were to do the UCAS form again I don't think that I would put it down.

What have you read/heard? It must be pretty bad to be considering a year out!
Original post by NeverLucky
Ahem...where did you get that idea from...?? That's an alternate fact mate.

You calling me over-confident bruv?

:wink: :tongue: I know of friends who did similar things

And bruv, talking about people who don't have the grades! your grades are achieved, you have no problems!

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending