The Student Room Group

Imperial College- Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Does imperial interview ask science-based questions/ test your scientific knowledge?
Reply 1421
Original post by MedicalMusical
Does imperial interview ask science-based questions/ test your scientific knowledge?

Nope, imperial's interview was nothing like Oxbridge interviews.
does anyone know if imperial is dissection or prosection? is it full body?
Any NHS based questions?
Original post by Happyals
Would you say most placements over the 6 years are in or out of London? Also do you pay your own travel? Are the placement hours in times you'd be able to get public transport? Thanks

Most will be spent in London; St Peters is the only hospital outside London. You do pay for your own travel, yes, unless you're in St Peters in which case they organise a coach service everyday from Charing Cross Hospital free of charge. Public transport in London runs until very late and with the introduction of the night tube coming in slowly, you'll easily find transport at whatever time (again though, St Peters is a little different with the coach service but if you miss the coach back, they arrange overnight accomodation for you).
Original post by Cherub012
How much is rent in 2nd year, generally?

It can vary a LOT depending on where you're living, who with, what type of accommodation etc. Not sure I could guess what the average amount is, I'm afraid.
Original post by Fwong99

Both dissection and prosection. For things like thorax, abdomen and pelvis, it's mainly dissection but then for head, neck and spine and limbs it's mainly prosection.
Original post by usycool1
Most will be spent in London; St Peters is the only hospital outside London. You do pay for your own travel, yes, unless you're in St Peters in which case they organise a coach service everyday from Charing Cross Hospital free of charge. Public transport in London runs until very late and with the introduction of the night tube coming in slowly, you'll easily find transport at whatever time (again though, St Peters is a little different with the coach service but if you miss the coach back, they arrange overnight accomodation for you).

That all sounds good! Thank you so much for replying. Was Imperial your first choice and are you still happy that you chose them?
Original post by Fwong99

It's both and it is full body. You get given a cadaver for the 2 years and dissect pretty much every part of it. It's already been mentioned that it's mainly prosection for the HNS anatomy and limb anatomy, but if you want to be a surgeon and are keen at dissecting (like I am) then you can probably spend less time with the prosections and do a bit more dissection haha. With the limb anatomy in particular, I did a lot of dissecting rather than looking through the prosections. Anatomy at med school is very much a case of you get out what you put in, it's not something you can just be told, you need to actively get involved if you want to be good at it

Edit:
Just to add, anatomy will be the coolest bit about first and second year, make the most of it. I've finished it now and I miss it haha. You do a lot of practical anatomy on eachother too which is really fun, you get to draw on eachother where organs/blood vessels/nerves etc are and do cranial nerve tests/limb examinations/auscultation/percussion etc etc
(edited 7 years ago)
It can vary a LOT depending on where you're living, who with, what type of accommodation etc. Not sure I could guess what the average amount is, I'm afraid.

It's fine. Do you know if ICL gets involved and helps you out?
It's fine. Do you know if ICL gets involved and helps you out?

It depends on what your parents income is, I believe, but they do give bursaries for students who may need it. :smile:
It depends on what your parents income is, I believe, but they do give bursaries for students who may need it. :smile:

Lol I meant, do they help you find it?

I know about the bursaries. :smile:
Lol I meant, do they help you find it?

I know about the bursaries. :smile:

They probably would offer help if you ask, the senior tutors are very helpful. I had money concerns at the end of my first year, and they had a chat with me (because we were sorting housing out around the exam period so I was extra stressed) and things worked out in the end. I'm now in my second year and getting a long reasonably well in terms of money, I have a job and I live with 4 friends in a good location. It's just a fact of life that money will be tight as a student, but you know, that's kind of the case at any uni...

Don't worry about this now though, seriously, things work out. I genuinely thought I could be homeless in second year haha, because I thought that there would be no one for me to live with and that I wouldn't be able to afford it, it caused a lot of stress, but here I am still going
Hi,
What's your typical week like as a medical student?
Thank youu
Original post by AortaStudyMore
Exams at the end of the year, they leave you alone all year and it's entirely up to you to pass your exams in the summer

So don't you have any formative exams at all? Just end of year exams?
Original post by Alexis.Amelia
Hi,
What's your typical week like as a medical student?
Thank youu

Idk if you were asking me or not, but if you're interested what a second year timetable is like then it's just a lot of lectures. There isn't really any variety to it, it's just days upon days of lectures. So last week we had cancer and psychology lectures on monday (if you're interested, the cancer lectures were on the different types of chemotherapy such as cytotoxic and targeted therapies, and the other lectures were on external factors controlling cell movement and how cells migrate). Tuesday we had our last ever anatomy day, wednesday we had a half day of musculoskeletal lectures, thursday was even more cancer lectures, and then we had today (friday) off. Next week is more of the same, although we have some clinical communication stuff and some personal and professional development work to do, and then the week after it's just back to weeks of lectures. First year was a bit more variable, there were more labs and tutorials, and you got to do some more patient centred stuff (but it wasn't that great tbh). Second year is literally just a year of cramming as much information into us before we begin work in hospitals in 3rd year. No one really wants to go through it, but it's just a few months of hell and then you get to move on haha
Original post by Happyals
So don't you have any formative exams at all? Just end of year exams?

You have a few in first year, including a big formative exam in january that assesses everything you learnt in first term. You also have a formative writeup to do a few weeks into your first term. You then have a couple of real exams at the end of second term, an exam in april, and then 3 exams in june (all summative)

There isn't really anything formative in second year (apart from a small team based endocrinology formative), you have your real exams in like april/may and then another exam in june and that's it
Reply 1437
Hi Pinkberry_y

I'm a Medicine student from Spain, 2nd year; my family is moving to London and I'd like to know if i could transfer into Medicine for September 2017.

Original post by Pinkberry_y
I currently study at Imperial, so if anyone has any questions about studying medicine there, feel free to ask :smile:
Reply 1438
Hi :smile: you study at Imperial College University?

I'm a Medicine student from Spain, 2nd year; my family is moving to London and I'd like to know if i could transfer into Medicine for September 2017. Thanks :smile:

You spend fair bit of time at Charing Cross Hospital too (which is actually in Hammersmith and not Charing Cross), and anatomy teaching/dissection happens there too. You may have some teaching at St Mary's but that's literally about 2 or 3 sessions in the entire two years. You might, although it's unlikely, have some tutorials in Hammersmith Hospital too (which is in Acton and not Hammersmith).

Most I know tend to live around the Hammersmith area, near Charing Cross hospital.

Yes, you can be, and the allocation seems to be random. My first placement was in St Peters (which is also shared with St George's Med School) which is in Surrey so it was a fair trek every day.

Depends on your BSc as to wher you'd mostly be tbh.

Tends to be a little earlier, except in the final years where you get hardly any time off.
Original post by AortaStudyMore
You have a few in first year, including a big formative exam in january that assesses everything you learnt in first term. You also have a formative writeup to do a few weeks into your first term. You then have a couple of real exams at the end of second term, an exam in april, and then 3 exams in june (all summative)

There isn't really anything formative in second year (apart from a small team based endocrinology formative), you have your real exams in like april/may and then another exam in june and that's it

Thanks. What happens if you failed an exam? Can you resit?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending