The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Two modules at OU in 9 months to complete

I've chosen to study computing and ICT and second subject full time, with the first module being my digital life TU100 which has just started I've just been on Studenthome and found out that my second subject module (business) starts in October. The second module is worth 60 credits as well so I'm assuming that will also take 8/9 months. I don't undertand on the website this course full time is supposed to be 1 year, why is this?. Could I start both modules simultaneously I need to complete this course in one academic year also does anyone know if you can get half of 60 credit module?
Original post by MGatsby
I've chosen to study computing and ICT and second subject full time, with the first module being my digital life TU100 which has just started I've just been on Studenthome and found out that my second subject module (business) starts in October. The second module is worth 60 credits as well so I'm assuming that will also take 8/9 months. I don't undertand on the website this course full time is supposed to be 1 year, why is this?. Could I start both modules simultaneously I need to complete this course in one academic year also does anyone know if you can get half of 60 credit module?

If the module starts in October then that's when it starts, you can't begin it earlier. You can't study an October-start and a February-start module simultaneously.

If you want to fit all your OU studies into one academic year then your only option is to cancel your current OU module and take two 60 credit modules in October, or only take 60 credits and use that to apply to a brick university. If it were me, I'd do the latter.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
So what's your saying is if I was to start this course in October I could do both at the same time?
Original post by Snufkin
If the module starts in October then that's when it starts, you can't begin it earlier. You can't study an October-start and a February-start module simultaneously.

If you want to fit all your OU studies into one academic year then your only option is to cancel your current OU module and take two 60 credit modules in October, or only take 60 credits and use that to apply to a brick university. If it were me, I'd do the latter.
Original post by MGatsby
So what's your saying is if I was to start this course in October I could do both at the same time?

Yes.
Reply 4
Why is this? The courses at OU have two start dates one in October and one in January
Original post by Snufkin
Yes.
Original post by MGatsby
Why is this? The courses at OU have two start dates one in October and one in January

Why do they have two different start dates? I have no idea.
Reply 6
Original post by MGatsby

The academic year starts in October so beginning with an October module and then starting a February module is both allowed and comes under the same academic year for funding purposes etc. Starting with a February module and then starting an October module counts as doing them over 2 academic years.
Reply 7
Original post by Snufkin
Why do they have two different start dates? I have no idea.

It's largely a transitional arrangement since the Open University used to have all of their courses start in February and are moving towards having most, if not all, start in October. For now it gives flexibility to people who want to stagger the starting of modules, such as to have exams a few months apart or to ease into studying over time.

Quick Reply

Latest