The Student Room Group

Will we have to boycott the United States?

Today comes further news of the immigration ban - incredibly, US customs actually held the former Norwegian Prime Minister for questioning, because he once visited Iran.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/feb/03/former-norway-pm-bondevik-held-washington-dulles-airport-2014-visit-iran

Trump's leading aides make up stories in the most blatant way imaginable to justify the ban.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38857216

Trump himself has now threatened war against Mexico, been deliberately rude to the Prime Minister of Australia (politically, a potential ally) and is now poised to push American scientific progress back by cutting all government spending on science and banning research in many important areas.

The KKK are jubilant with their new president and Steve Bannon, a neo-fascist who has praised Nazism, is the closest advisor to Trump.

Against this background, how long can it be before we need a worldwide boycott of America?

Things we could boycott:

* US media - abandon all those Netflix and Amazon accounts

* Stop using US corporations that support Trump, like Uber and Esso.

* Seek to ban leading financial corporations like Goldman Sachs that are deeply in bed with Trump.

* Stop buying US products.

* Access to the UK and Europe for political and business allies of Trump.

Should we start discussing how this boycott would work and the goals? The key goal is to show Trump that as bad as he is, and as much as he wants to hurt other people, we can hurt the interests of his people more.

Scroll to see replies

Yeeaah... no.

And Trump never "threatened war against Mexico." Give it a rest.
Original post by Dandaman1
Yeeaah... no.

And Trump never "threatened war against Mexico." Give it a rest.

Time says he did.
http://time.com/4657474/donald-trump-enrique-pena-nieto-mexico-bad-hombres/

And so does most of the global media.

:holmes:
Why is it any of our business what Trump does?

He's been democratically elected to serve the interests of Americans not Brits!!

We should focus on issues at home, like Brexit and getting new trade deals for the country.
Original post by Lord Gaben
Why is it any of our business what Trump does?

He's been democratically elected to serve the interests of Americans not Brits!!

We should focus on issues at home, like Brexit and getting new trade deals for the country.

The US is the only true superpower - what they do affects all of us, globally. They are also armed to the teeth and spend more than about the next 10 countries combined on weapons systems, which they fairly regularly use outside the US - so they really aren't some kind of separate little island we can safely ignore.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
The US is the only true superpower - what they do affects all of us, globally. They are also armed to the teeth and spend more than about the next 10 countries combined on weapons systems, which they fairly regularly use outside the US - so they really aren't some kind of separate little island we can safely ignore.

Do you not expect that the US would retaliate to this boycott? They have enoug nuclear weapons to destroy the planet.
Reply 6
Time says he did.

The Mexican government has denied he said anything of the sort. Once again the mainstream media is lying, and you, blinded by your irrational hatred of Trump, are lapping it all up.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/mexico-deny-donald-trump-send-troops-over-us-mexico-border-president-enrique-pena-nieto-american-a7558526.html
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Wōden
The Mexican government has denied he said anything of the sort. One again the mainstream media is lying, and you, blinded by your irrational hatred of Trump, are lapping it all up.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/mexico-deny-donald-trump-send-troops-over-us-mexico-border-president-enrique-pena-nieto-american-a7558526.html

Poor vulnerable Mexico is hardly in a position to stand up to this swaggering bully. They are most certainly fearful of the consequences, as will be people across Latin America - the countries south of the US have long been a sort of playground for US thuggery and exploitation.

And what will a boycott achieve? Do you think the Trump administration really care about people protesting, especially those that are not even American in the first place?

Will you also boycott products affiliated with China, Russia, and Saudi Arabia?
You can.

It doesn't bother me that much.
Poor vulnerable Mexico is hardly in a position to stand up to this swaggering bully. They are most certainly fearful of the consequences, as will be people across Latin America - the countries south of the US have long been a sort of playground for US thuggery and exploitation.

Don't forget they are also a playground for the cartels.
they really aren't some kind of separate little island we can safely ignore.

So, we can ignore and boycott them, and we can't at the same time?

I do wish you'd make your mind up.
First of all I want my netflix so no thank you.

Second of all, good luck trying to boycott a nation.
Original post by Google22
First of all I want my netflix so no thank you.

Second of all, good luck trying to boycott a nation.

Well, so long as you have your Netflix, I mean, that's all that matters, right?

Yet you are advocating that the UK boycotts the USA. Do you have difficulty in thinking an argument through all the way from the top of a post to the bottom?

Very few people live political lives, so Netflix and other products and services are likely to figure more highly in their lives than supporting rabid SJWs.

I bet you couldn't do one day without the involvement of US products.
Hell, bet you couldn't do 6 hours of a normal work day.
It's funny how you consider division to be really bad thing and preach the 'build bridges not walls' mantra, and yet here you are advocating division.
Original post by לזייןהאיסלאם
It's funny how you consider division to be really bad thing and preach the 'build bridges not walls' mantra, and yet here you are advocating division.

That's not an accurate analysis. I am advocating resistance against a reactionary plutocrat and his careless, domineering, dangerous global role.
Original post by Drewski
I bet you couldn't do one day without the involvement of US products.
Hell, bet you couldn't do 6 hours of a normal work day.

Of course it's difficult because of the penetration of the US software and entertainment industries, but we have to fight back against the new imperialism he represents and the attempt to wind the clock back to the 1950s and a pre-modern, barbaric way of dealing with the world.

I am really in favour of targeted boycotts, so as I said, we should be boycotting corporations that side with his immoral campaigns and policies.
Time says he did.

Oh, it couldn't possibly be the media sensationalising and exaggerating something just to get more people to read their content? They've never done that before. Definitely not with Donald Trump. They've always been so fair and level-headed with him.

++Sarcasm mode deactivated++

Mexico and several other nations less powerful than Mexico have openly spoken out against President Trump before. You'd think if he actually threatened them with war there would be an outcry and some serious complaints from the Mexican government to both the United States and the international community.

No, he did not threaten them with war. Have a brain and stop believing everything you read from media outlets that play things up, aren't afraid to make things up, and mostly just copy from each other anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending