The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

MMU Primary Application Dates

Hi,
I'm looking to apply to MMU for the Primary program starting 2017, which opened in October 2016. Does anyone know if it's too late to apply now or should I wait until next year?

Thanks!
Original post by Kelrc
Hi,
I'm looking to apply to MMU for the Primary program starting 2017, which opened in October 2016. Does anyone know if it's too late to apply now or should I wait until next year?

Thanks!

Hi Kelrc, is it the BA (Hons) Primary Education or the PGCE Primary Education that you are looking to apply for?

Rebecca
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
Reply 2
Hi Rebecca,
I'm looking to apply for the PGCE. Would applying now hurt the chances of getting accepted into the program since it's so late? (In comparison to applying next term)

Thanks!
Kelly
Original post by Kelrc
Hi Rebecca,
I'm looking to apply for the PGCE. Would applying now hurt the chances of getting accepted into the program since it's so late? (In comparison to applying next term)

Thanks!
Kelly

Our PGCE Primary Education is still open to applications for September 2017, so applying now would not hurt your chances of being considered! :smile: There is no set deadline to apply, the course will close once places have been filled.

It is worth noting that our PGCE Primary is one of our most popular PGCE's so we would recommend that you apply as soon as possible to give you the best chance of getting your application in before the course fills.

I hope this helps and good luck with your application! :crossedf: If you have any more questions let me know.

Rebecca
Reply 4
Thank you so much for your help and advice Rebecca!
I will proceed accordingly as mentioned.

Good wishes!
Kelly
Reply 5
Hi I'm also wanting to apply for the PGCE primary but I'm worried that places may be filled. Could you give me a rough timescale as to when the applications for the PGCE Primary close or when they closed last year? Thank you.
Original post by ayshx
Hi I'm also wanting to apply for the PGCE primary but I'm worried that places may be filled. Could you give me a rough timescale as to when the applications for the PGCE Primary close or when they closed last year? Thank you.

Last year the PGCE Primary Education closed around late February, early March. Obviously this can change year on year depending on how many applications we receive but you can use the dates as a guide.

The course did also re-open around July/August time, as some people missed out on their offers so places became available. Again, I can't guarantee that this will happen again but it may be useful to know.

The best advice I can give is to apply as soon as possible to give you the best chance of getting your application in before the course closes.

Hope this helps and good luck with your application! :smile:

Rebecca
Reply 7
Hi Rebecca,

Thank you so much for your response, it is helpful to know that. I will definitely be getting my application in as soon as possible now :smile:
Reply 8
Hi Rebecca,

My experience is with middle school children at an international school following an American Curriculum. Would it still be possible to apply for the PGCE Primary Education program at MMU, or are there specific guidelines I would have to follow?

Thank you so much for your help and response
Regards,
Kelly
Original post by Kelrc
Hi Rebecca,

My experience is with middle school children at an international school following an American Curriculum. Would it still be possible to apply for the PGCE Primary Education program at MMU, or are there specific guidelines I would have to follow?

Thank you so much for your help and response
Regards,
Kelly

Hi Kelly,

The experience you have at the international school would enhance your application, however we would still require at least 3 weeks experience within a UK Primary School at the point of application. This is because we require candidates to demonstrate their awareness of teachers’ roles and responsibilities as well as the UK National Curriculum within their application.

Unfortunately without this experience you would not be considered for entry on to the PGCE Primary.

I would therefore recommend that you contact some UK Primary Schools to see if you can get some experience arranged as soon as possible. You can find some tips on finding work experience here.

Hope this helps :smile: Any more questions just let me know. You can also give us a ring on 0161 247 6969 for further info :call:

Rebecca
Reply 10
Hi Rebecca,

Once again, thank you so much for all of your help and advice!

Will do as mentioned :smile:

Kelly
Original post by Kelrc
Hi Rebecca,

Once again, thank you so much for all of your help and advice!

Will do as mentioned :smile:

Kelly

No problem! Any more questions just let me know :smile:

Rebecca
Original post by Manchester Metropolitan University
Hi Kelly,

The experience you have at the international school would enhance your application, however we would still require at least 3 weeks experience within a UK Primary School at the point of application. This is because we require candidates to demonstrate their awareness of teachers’ roles and responsibilities as well as the UK National Curriculum within their application.

Unfortunately without this experience you would not be considered for entry on to the PGCE Primary.

I would therefore recommend that you contact some UK Primary Schools to see if you can get some experience arranged as soon as possible. You can find some tips on finding work experience here.

Hope this helps :smile: Any more questions just let me know. You can also give us a ring on 0161 247 6969 for further info :call:

Rebecca

Hi . Is this “3 weeks experience” still necessary ? As it doesn’t say it on the mmu website? Thanks
Original post by Anonymous
Hi . Is this “3 weeks experience” still necessary ? As it doesn’t say it on the mmu website? Thanks

Hi there :smile:

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you regarding your question.

In response to this, it is no longer mandatory to have gained shadowing experience in a school setting, as long as you are able to demonstrate the reasons that have led you to apply to either BA (Hons) Primary Education QTS or PGCE Primary Education QTS. It is important for applicants gain a solid understanding of the issues and current challenges in primary school settings. If you are successful in the first stage of the application process, you will be invited to interview, where you will be called to demonstrate your subject knowledge, as well as a good understanding of teaching and learning in primary schools.

I hope this helps :biggrin: If you have any other queries, just give us a shout!

Cheers,

Luca

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending