The Student Room Group
Original post by Dgeneral
I'm in year 9 and I play the drums, I would like to take music but don't know what I need to do. would I need to sing as well, also I have a mini band I have 2 guitarists and a bases player and a singing would we have to perform together?

thanks for your help please reply:smile:

You would need to be able to do a variety of things, including playing the drums.
And you would perform together, if they also chose music gcse!:smile:
I'm in year 9 and I play the drums, I would like to take music but don't know what I need to do. would I need to sing as well, also I have a mini band I have 2 guitarists and a bases player and a singing would we have to perform together?

I take GCSE Music so I'm going to give you an honest opinion.
Most people in my class actually find it one of their hardest subjects. You would have to do a solo performance, and it has to be pretty much perfect in order to get an A or above. Any mistakes could knock you down a lot. You also have to do an ensemble piece, but as you play in a band, that should be fine. You're okay playing on the drums, so you wouldn't need to sing. I believe with the new gcse, there's a bit more theory involved. If you can't read music, or you don't have any knowledge at all of basic music theory, you might find it hard. You also have to compose 2 pieces, which are both worth 20%. With this, you wouldn't just be able to compose a drum piece and get a very good mark.
If you really want to take music, and you're willing to put work in, you'll be fine. However, if you're taking it as an easy option, you'll hate the next 2 years.
it depends a lot on what board you take, the edexcel and aqa courses are very difference from what i know. the course LlamaLikeEllie described sounds like the edexcel one that i take, whereas the aqa course that my friend takes it his school is firmly based off listening.
also, if you're taking edexcel music gcse, most schools have rules that you should be able to read music and be of at least grade 3 standard by the time the exam takes place.
Original post by studyingmusic
it depends a lot on what board you take, the edexcel and aqa courses are very difference from what i know. the course LlamaLikeEllie described sounds like the edexcel one that i take, whereas the aqa course that my friend takes it his school is firmly based off listening.

I actually do the AQA course. For me (on the old gcse), the listening exam is only worth 20%, and they do expect you to know key subject terminology. Composition and Performance are both worth 40% :smile:
Original post by LlamaLikeEllie
I actually do the AQA course. For me (on the old gcse), the listening exam is only worth 20%, and they do expect you to know key subject terminology. Composition and Performance are both worth 40% :smile:

ah, my friend must be taking the new course then. the old one sounds very similar to the one i'm doing right now

It depends what specification your school offers.
I play drums too and i did GCSE music for a year before switching to BTEC. It appears that the GCSE has a lot of music and compositional theory that doesn't really lend itself to drummers too well.
But you should check with the teacher what the course specs are and what modules you'll be doing and decide from there.

Latest