The Student Room Group

What is your favourite Country/City/State and why?

My main aspirations and goals in life are to travel the whole world. I am so inspired by the different places, cultures, sceneries, and just life in general all over.

Where is your favourite place and why?
What are the things you enjoyed most?
What was the atmosphere like?
Was there lots to do?
Why would you recommend this place?

Scroll to see replies

My favourite country is Norway (even though I've never been there). :lol: So pretty, nice language and they invented Slow TV... what's not to love?
Original post by GeorgiaCroxton
My main aspirations and goals in life are to travel the whole world. I am so inspired by the different places, cultures, sceneries, and just life in general all over.

Where is your favourite place and why?
What are the things you enjoyed most?
What was the atmosphere like?
Was there lots to do?
Why would you recommend this place?

France - Le Lavandou :love:
Food is great, language is great, people are lovely, beach is lovely (also jellyfish :ahee:)
Eating and swimming :smile:
French :france: and hot and ice cream :yay:
Yep, cycling, petanque, tennis, walking, museums, beach, swimming, going on a pedalo, looking for jellyfish :colone:
100% :yep:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
My favourite country - Isle Of Man. Was born and bred there. Its a beautiful place, very quiet. The scenery is amazing also.
My favourite City - Glasgow. Great atmosphere, lovely place (especially in the west end). I would recommend a visit, a place by the Uni, love it round there. People are lovely.
My favourite place - Douglas Head, IOM. Breathtaking

I could go on haha!
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
pitanque

:awesome: What is the difference between pitanque and boules? In my grandparent's village (they live in France), boules is taken SO seriously... people come out of their houses to watch a good match in the village square!
Original post by Snufkin
:awesome: What is the difference between pitanque and boules? In my grandparent's village (they live in France), boules is taken SO seriously... people come out of their houses to watch a good match in the village square!

I think boules is the collective term for games such as petanque :dontknow:
ooh that is so cool! I do love to watch a game of boules :mmm: We have a plastic set chez nous :yep:
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
France - Le Lavandou :love:
Food is great, language is great, people are lovely, beach is lovely (also jellyfish :ahee:)
Eating and swimming :smile:
French :france: and hot and ice cream :yay:
Yep, cycling, petanque, tennis, walking, museums, beach, swimming, going on a pedalo, looking for jellyfish :colone:
100% :yep:

It's funny you say that because I'm actually going to Paris with my partner for four days next month! I'm really excited I've never been there before..

Any ideas on things to do for young couples? Other than the obvious of Eiffel Tower and the Louvre..

It seems really amazing though, except for the snails I won't be trying those!!
Original post by Snufkin
My favourite country is Norway (even though I've never been there). :lol: So pretty, nice language and they invented Slow TV... what's not to love?

Yeah Norway seems like an amazing country however I want to leave Scandanavian countries until I'm a little older! I feel like I would appreciate them more in the future.
It's funny you say that because I'm actually going to Paris with my partner for four days next month! I'm really excited I've never been there before..

Any ideas on things to do for young couples? Other than the obvious of Eiffel Tower and the Louvre..

I wouldn't make too many plans, part of the charm of Paris is just being able to walk around and find things as you go.
Favourite place which isn't in the UK has to be Manaus in Brazil. It isn't very far from the Amazon forest and the mangos there are heavenly.
Original post by Manxlad
My favourite country - Isle Of Man. Was born and bred there. Its a beautiful place, very quiet. The scenery is amazing also.
My favourite City - Glasgow. Great atmosphere, lovely place (especially in the west end). I would recommend a visit, a place by the Uni, love it round there. People are lovely.
My favourite place - Douglas Head, IOM. Breathtaking

I could go on haha!

Thank you you've given me some great ideas there! I've never really thought of the IOM before with it being relatively close.. Definitely will be something I look into for the future!

Me and my partner were actually planning a road trip upto Scotland as well because the scenary there is amazing.

Oooh gosh you are in for a treat! :jumphug:
Well, there's Musee D'Orsay :mmm:
Also the Champs Elysees are very romantic :teehee:
N'oubliez pas la palais de Versailles ou a stroll around the beautiful city :h: - Arc de triomphe, Notre Dame (I love Notre Dame :colondollar:)
:france:
oh no - not the snails :zomg: Steak hache :wink:

HAVE A GREAT TIME

Spoiler

Original post by Snufkin
I wouldn't make too many plans, part of the charm of Paris is just being able to walk around and find things as you go.

I'll keep that in mind - there's a walk we are looking forward to, across the 'promenade plantée' the old railway which overlooks the city, which I think is around 2-3 miles! It will be interesting.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Favourite place which isn't in the UK has to be Manaus in Brazil. It isn't very far from the Amazon forest and the mangos there are heavenly.

South America is definitely a place I will visit many times in my life!
Just had a peek online at Manaus and it looks amazing! Have you been there before? :smile:
Reply 14
italy 2 main reasons they create all my favourite foods and its also literally the most beautiful place ive ever seen.
South America is definitely a place I will visit many times in my life!
Just had a peek online at Manaus and it looks amazing! Have you been there before? :smile:

Yeah my brother in law's family live there. It was amazing but the mosquitoes were a nightmare. Would love to go to a Rio carnival. The costumes look so so beautiful!
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Yeah my brother in law's family live there. It was amazing but the mosquitoes were a nightmare. Would love to go to a Rio carnival. The costumes look so so beautiful!

Have you been to anywhere else in SA? I'd like to visit Chile, Argentina and Uruguay. A bit jealous tbh.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Have you been to anywhere else in SA? I'd like to visit Chile, Argentina and Uruguay. A bit jealous tbh.

Just Brazil sadly. They have a beach in Brazil which has black sand. It looks so good and I really want to go. Peru looks amazing tbh.

Also if you like dogs, check out the land of the strays :smile:
Manchester!
My favourite city has to be Manchester because it's the place I was born and bred in. 😊
Geneva, as it's green, clean and full of history. And as I don't really like cars and the cities are very cyclist and pedestrian friendly with good public transport, it is a lot more relaxed than London. A nice atmosphere but I don't think it would be as fun as central London. There is a lot to do due to the amount of culture in the region around Lac Léman and the amount of greenery once you left the cities.

Quick Reply

Latest