The Student Room Group

Trump-Australia Feud Harms Unique Relationship

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dodgypirate
Why should I answer any of your questions?

Pretty please my sweet sugarplum
Original post by Palmyra
Can you guys make a group chat on Skype and sort out your differences there, instead of on this thread?

Thanks.

My apologies. I want to talk about the refugee ban
Original post by Palmyra
The U.S. agreed to resettle (i.e. take in) 1200 asylum seekers held on detention centres on Islands off Australia, in return for Australia agreeing to resettle refugees from the countries you mentioned.

Oh I see
Thanks for clearing it up :smile:
I feel like Trump should hire someone to speak on behalf of him at all times because his choice of words can be very... problematic
Original post by queen-bee
My apologies. I want to talk about the refugee ban

There are other threads for that, including my previous thread which you can find here.
Original post by Dodgypirate
WARN-TORN AREAS OF THE WORLD THAT HARBOUR BLOODTHIRSTY TERRORISTS THEN.

Wind your neck in sister.

What's wrong with vetting? Rather than completely placing a ban..
Original post by StrawbAri
Oh I see
Thanks for clearing it up :smile:
I feel like Trump should hire someone to speak on behalf of him at all times because his choice of words can be very... problematic

Trump is used to getting his way or the high way. It'll be interesting to see how his presidencys works out in the next coming years
Original post by queen-bee
Trump is used to getting his way or the high way. It'll be interesting to see how his presidencys works out in the next coming years

At the moment he is being indulged. The Mexicans have denied the threat was made. The Australians have been very discreet.

I am sure their respective ambassadors in Washington have the phone numbers of the Speaker of the House and the majority leader of the Senate.

Mexico could have taken this to the Security Council. Lots of countries hostile to the US would have made diplomatic capital out of it and the US would probably have been left vetoing an otherwise unanimous resolution.

Australian politics is pretty plain spoken and at some point Turnbull will call him a jerk.

What the Washington insiders will see is America becoming a diminished power. The redneck braggarts won't, of course.
Original post by Palmyra
U.S.-Australian ties have fallen to a new low

That's a somewhat strange assertion. A "new low"? That implies they were previously poor and now they are worse. In fact, the only two countries closer than the US and Australia are the US and UK.

The US-Australian relationship is extremely good. They have a free trade agreement, they share almost all of their intelligence with one another as members of the Five Eyes, they share a common language and much cultural intermingling. They are disposed in the same direction in terms of developments in the East Asian theatre. In short, their relationship is excellent and an unfortunate phone call hasn't changed that.

In fact, it's a testament to the relationship that Trump has now backpeddled and said they will take the refugees. I doubt Trump would do that for any non-Anglo nation.

The phone call was cut short after 25 minutes because Trump repudiated the refugee swap deal the U.S. reached with Australia in 2016

The deal hasn't been repudiated. Trump doesn't like it, and he questioned it, but he has now confirmed the deal is going ahead.

Trump is an idiot, but he's not a fool. Australia is an important ally, and Trump has opted to continue with a deal that his supporters would hate because of the importance of that relationship.
Original post by AlexanderHam

Trump is an idiot, but he's not a fool. Australia is an important ally, and Trump has opted to continue with a deal that his supporters would hate because of the importance of that relationship.

Interesting distinction and explains why he does do well at business. He is a bully, he isn't a fool and he is scrupulous.

In fact, it's a testament to the relationship that Trump has now backpeddled and said they will take the refugees.

I must have missed that Tweet; could you show me where/when he said that?

The deal hasn't been repudiated. Trump doesn't like it, and he questioned it, but he has now confirmed the deal is going ahead.

Accusing Australia of trying to export the next Boston bombers, cutting short a phone conversation in anger, then Tweeting about the deal (also in anger) seemed to suggest repudiation - but I concede that he has not actually done so (and in fact may have reaffirmed his commitment to the deal if what you say is correct).

However, the fact he created such hostility over this, for essentially nothing, to the extent that Priebus and Bannon had to meet the Australian Ambassador in the White House shortly after Trump's outburst (perhaps to apologise for his naughty behaviour), does not fill me with joy about the implications for the way in which the U.S. is seen across the world.
Original post by Palmyra
I must have missed that Tweet; could you show me where/when he said that?

Accusing Australia of trying to export the next Boston bombers, cutting short a phone conversation in anger, then Tweeting about the deal (also in anger) seemed to suggest repudiation - but I concede that he has not actually done so (and in fact may have reaffirmed his commitment to the deal if what you say is correct).

However, the fact he created such hostility over this, for essentially nothing, to the extent that Priebus and Bannon had to meet the Australian Ambassador in the White House shortly after Trump's outburst (perhaps to apologise for his naughty behaviour), does not fill me with joy about the implications for the way in which the U.S. is seen across the world.

You and the world are going to have to get used to the idea that a forceful man who doesn't hide what he thinks, and who often thinks aloud, is in a position of great prominence. It is very common in business, though people who have been cocooned in the safe spaces of modern academe may not have been exposed to much of it in these times of namby-pambyism.
Original post by Good bloke
You and the world are going to have to get used to the idea that a forceful man who doesn't hide what he thinks, and who often thinks aloud, is in a position of great prominence. It is very common in business, though people who have been cocooned in the safe spaces of modern academe may not have been exposed to much of it in these times of namby-pambyism.

You're projecting.
Original post by Palmyra
You're projecting.

Eh? He isn't a forceful man? He does hide what he thinks? Your aren't cocooned in an unrealistic world of censored messages?
Eh? He isn't a forceful man? He does hide what he thinks? Your aren't cocooned in an unrealistic world of censored messages?

Senility is so sad.
Reply 54
Trump thought that the Australian Liberal Party was left wing and treated Turnbull as a hippie. :lol:

He realised his mistake later.
(edited 7 years ago)

And everyone in business hates that ******* boss like Trump...

And he is running a country. Not a business.
Original post by Palmyra

Yes, I agree with this completely. He is temperamentally unsuited to the presidency.

Though the NY Times is reporting that Trump has suddenly u-turned on a number of foreign policy issues. Although it looked like he would cave to Putin, and in recent days Putin ordered his thugs in the Ukraine to go on the offensive believing Trump would look the other way, the White House has suddenly condemned Russia and affirmed US policy is that Russia must withdraw from the Crimea.

Also, quite amazing given Trump seemed fanatically pro-Israeli right, the White House condemned Netanyahu's authorisation for 5,000 new settler homes to be built in the West Bank.

I'm extremely surprised that Trump has taken these two positions; a sign that the Bannon faction (including Michael Flynn), which is basically a pro-Kremlin fifth column in the West Wing, has lost the bureaucratic battle for control over the Russia and Israel policies.
Original post by yudothis

And he is running a country. Not a business.

So were Genghis Khan, William the Conqueror, Attila and Henry VIII, all of whom were successful without being very popular.
Reply 58
Also, quite amazing given Trump seemed fanatically pro-Israeli right, the White House condemned Netanyahu's authorisation for 5,000 new settler homes to be built in the West Bank.

I'm extremely surprised that Trump has taken these two positions; a sign that the Bannon faction (including Michael Flynn), which is basically a pro-Kremlin fifth column in the West Wing, has lost the bureaucratic battle for control over the Russia and Israel policies.

Or that King Hussein (who met him two days ago) found the right words to convince him.

"Of course, you can build an hotel in Amman Donald, it's gonna be great, and if you want, you can even play in my private golf course - any time."
So were Genghis Khan, William the Conqueror, Attila and Henry VIII, all of whom were successful without being very popular.

I am sure that is the kind of leader America needs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending