The Student Room Group

Only the liberal left stand up to Islamophobia

As someone against all kinds of hatred: anti-semitism, Islamophobia, racism, etc. I am stunned by how it is only those on the liberal left who stand up to blatant Islamophobia.

It feels that only those on the liberal left will tackle Islamophobia and take Muslims under their wing. Instead, those on the conservative right appear to spread Islamophobia and seem to want some sort of war between Islam and the West.

While I am not a Muslim or a subscriber of all of what Islam says, or even liberal left in some aspects, I think it's admirable that the liberal left are the only people standing up to Islamophobia and fascist bans based on religion.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Oh change the tune. Islam this Islam that, Jesus christ.

Just to put it out there:
Most people who disagree with the RELIGION that is ISLAM and challenge its views and thinking, are not Islamophobic!

Is Richard Dawkins a Christianophobe? No. He is an atheist who challenges the existence of God and Christianity.

Saying that, is Christianophobe even a thing? Everyone assumes anyone who challenges Christianity is 9/10 times atheist/agnostic.

So why is Islam given a special treatment?

On the other hand, discrimination against MUSLIMS is what I would consider Islamophobic.
(edited 7 years ago)
You've triggered a lot of the right-wingers using the word "Islamaphobia".
Original post by Mathemagicien
Dunno, he strikes me as a sort of radical atheist. He might be called a Christianophobe.

Fair enough, but as Christian, I wouldn't call him a Christianophobe.

He's just a bloke who doesn't believe in God and tries to show the world why he thinks that.
Original post by Iridocyclitis
As someone against all kinds of hatred: anti-semitism, Islamophobia, racism, etc. I am stunned by how it is only those on the liberal left who stand up to blatant Islamophobia.

It feels that only those on the liberal left will tackle Islamophobia and take Muslims under their wing. Instead, those on the conservative right appear to spread Islamophobia and seem to want some sort of war between Islam and the West.

While I am not a Muslim or a subscriber of all of what Islam says, or even liberal left in some aspects, I think it's admirable that the liberal left are the only people standing up to Islamophobia and fascist bans based on religion.

I also find it bizarre that the supposedly liberal left stand up for a religion which diametrically opposes everything they purport to believe in. The only people who could defend Islam without any cognitive dissonance would be those on the far-right, if they weren't so racist.
Original post by Google22
On the other hand, discrimination against MUSLIMS is what I would consider Islamophobic.

This is the root of the problem really. "Islamophobic" isn't a very good term at all - Islam is the ideology, muslims are the ones who follow that ideology. Islamophobia suggests a dislike of the ideology, which is completely reasonable given the many problems with the religion. Some people do seem to think that any criticism of Islam is racist, but I suspect quite a few of them actually mean "anti Muslim bigotry" which is a different thing altogether - you can viciously criticise and oppose an ideology without being intolerant of the individuals who follow it, provided of course that you're a rational adult.

I despise a lot of what the Conservative party stands for, but I don't go around attacking their voters and supporters over it. I have a number of conservative friends and family members, and political views haven't ever caused any problems at all.
what the right wing need to understand is that it's a small step from "I hate Islam" to "I hate muslims. If you hate the belief, then hating the believer isn't a big step.
Original post by STEMisSuperior.
what the right wing need to understand is that it's a small step from "I hate Islam" to "I hate muslims. If you hate the belief, then hating the believer isn't a big step.

Why isn't it a very big step?
Original post by לזייןהאיסלאם
Why isn't it a very big step?

Because basic intuition and common sense says so.
Original post by Google22
Fair enough, but as Christian, I wouldn't call him a Christianophobe.

He's just a bloke who doesn't believe in God and tries to show the world why he thinks that.

He's a cheap bloke who basically compiled classical arguments from actual well-respected atheist philosophers and called it his own, only adding a little bit of that stereotypical, modern day atheist arrogance.

The book probs made more money than his entire career as a scientist ever will.

That isn't an explanation. Why isn't it a very big step from hating a religion, to hating the people who follow it?
That isn't an explanation. Why isn't it a very big step from hating a religion, to hating the people who follow it?

Why don't you share with my why you think that it is a big step.
Why don't you share with my why you think that it is a big step.

I don't think it's a big step. I'm genuinely interested in hearing your explanation for why it is a small step.
I don't think it's a big step. I'm genuinely interested in hearing your explanation for why it is a small step.

Hate for Islam only exists because 1.6bn follow it. And when 1.6bn people follow a doctrine you hate, you'll start to hate them for condoning and advocating something that you hate. You start to fear and generalise muslims and discriminate them and there is plenty of evidence for this. We do assume a level of irrationality here. Because if we were all rational them Americans would be more fearful of toddlers than muslims when that clearly isnt the case.
Hate for Islam only exists because 1.6bn follow it. And when 1.6bn people follow a doctrine you hate, you'll start to hate them for condoning and advocating something that you hate. You start to fear and generalise muslims and discriminate them and there is plenty of evidence for this. We do assume a level of irrationality here.

Do you think it is irrational to distrust people who follow an ideology which you find yourself in opposition of?

Because if we were all rational them Americans would be more fearful of toddlers than muslims when that clearly isnt the case.

One can dislike an ideology regardless of the threat it personally presents to you. Perhaps because of the threat it presents to others, or simply because you find yourself in opposition to its ideals.
It is a bit weird given that the liberal left tends to disagree with Islam on a lot of fundamental stuff, like women's rights, sex before marriage, freedom to wear what you want and being gay.
It's funny how many liberals slogan it as a 'religion of peace'. There's no such thing. Just because it isn't a religion of peace doesn't mean it is a religion of violence either. Whatever religion it may be, acts of violence will be associated with at times along with acts of peace.

Associating Islamophobia with anti-semitism and racism in my eyes is incorrect. As already stated out, Islamophobia is a hatred and strong disliking towards an ideology, whereas anti-semitism, although directed at Jews, is strongly based on biology much like racism. Anti-semitism may have held some religious stem to it, but as history has told us, the work of anti-semites was mainly based towards eugenics. This arguments is strongly supported by many historians such as Bracher.

Islamophobic means you dislike Islam, not the people that follow it. The right are more than welcome to attack it as the left are to support it. What annoys me is the the left use the word Islamophobic to target someone as a Muslim hater and completely shut them down. Just because you are Islamophobic doesn't make you a Muslim hater. No ideology should be made invincible and unquestionable.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Khanthebrit
It's funny how many liberals slogan it as a 'religion of peace'. There's no such thing. Just because it isn't a religion of peace doesn't mean it is a religion of violence either. Whatever religion it may be, acts of violence will be associated with at times along with acts of peace.

Associating Islamophobia with anti-semitism and racism in my eyes is incorrect. As already stated out, Islamophobia is a hatred and strong disliking towards an ideology, whereas anti-semitism, although directed at Jews, is strongly based on biology much like racism. Anti-semitism may have held some religious stem to it, but as history has told us, the work of anti-semites was mainly based towards eugenics. This arguments is strongly supported by many historians such as Bracher.

Islamophobic means you dislike Islam, not the people that follow it. The right are more than welcome to attack it as the left are to support it. What annoys me is the the left use the word Islamophobic to target someone as a Muslim hater and completely shut them down. Just because you are Islamophobic doesn't make you a Muslim hater. No ideology should be made invincible and unquestionable.

This is absolutely correct. Historically, antisemitism has come in the form of hatred towards a people based on their lineage and certain racial traits (e.g the Nazi propaganda against Jews). Islamophobia is the dislike of ideas. No other ideas have such protection as Islamic ideas, which is quite absurd, especially given how offensive many of them are. All ideas should be open for criticism.

Also, FYI the "religion of peace" slogan is a neologism that was invented by politicians shortly after 9/11. I believe Bush was one of the first to use it, in an attempt to curb the backlash against Muslims. It has no historical validity. "Islam" does not mean peace in the hippie sense, it means peace of a kind that happens when one submits to God, and specifically the tyrannical Islamic (or simply Abrahamic) conception of God.

That's not even an answer. ****ing hell...
Welcome to the era of political correctness.

Latest

Trending

Trending