The Student Room Group

Couples accommodation_phd student

Hello there, I am a EU student with a M.sc degree applying for a Phd position in the UK.In the personal details section of the application form, I completed the form stating I do not have a partner/spouse as I am not married or in a civil partership. However I am in a commited relationship and with my boyfriend (who is financially independent and now resides in London),we were planning on moving in together in the city of my studies if I were to be accepted there for my Phd studies. My question is, is there a possibility for me as a Phd student applying for scholarships(full award- fees and living cost) for my 3 years of Phd studies, to be able to request a room for couples in private accomodation, and in what way the decision of sharing a room/flat with my partner affect my possible scholarship-award covering my share of living costs? I would be grateful if anyone knows and would be kind enough to answer.
I don't know why they have asked this.

It might be because, if you were an overseas applicant this has visa implications, but otherwise, I can't see why they would want to know.

Ask the Uni. They are not allowed to discriminate in terms of anything like sexual orientation or marital status, so their answer will be interesting!

PS. 'Married' housing is very rare at UK universities and is normally reserved for International postgrad students doing 1 year courses. Usually couples are expected to to find somewhere to live in the normal private rented sector.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by phdcandidate1
Hello there, I am a EU student with a M.sc degree applying for a Phd position in the UK.In the personal details section of the application form, I completed the form stating I do not have a partner/spouse as I am not married or in a civil partership. However I am in a commited relationship and with my boyfriend (who is financially independent and now resides in London),we were planning on moving in together in the city of my studies if I were to be accepted there for my Phd studies. My question is, is there a possibility for me as a Phd student applying for scholarships(full award- fees and living cost) for my 3 years of Phd studies, to be able to request a room for couples in private accomodation, and in what way the decision of sharing a room/flat with my partner affect my possible scholarship-award covering my share of living costs? I would be grateful if anyone knows and would be kind enough to answer.

In general, you would just go for a private rental with your partner. Living costs will be based on what they expect a single person to need however it is possible they would want a breakdown of household income if it was a scholarship rather than a studentship. Also if your partner needs to apply for benefits at any point they will want to take your income into account.
Original post by returnmigrant
I don't know why they have asked this.

It might be because, if you were an overseas applicant this has visa implications, but otherwise, I can't see why they would want to know.

Ask the Uni. They are not allowed to discriminate in terms of anything like sexual orientation or marital status, so their answer will be interesting!

PS. 'Married' housing is very rare at UK universities and is normally reserved for International postgrad students doing 1 year courses. Usually couples are expected to to find somewhere to live in the normal private rented sector.

Thank you for your answer, returnmigrant,I appreciate it. I don't know why they ask this, I assume it is to give priority to married couples since there is a limited number of rooms? I honestly don't know. If I get an offer, I will certainly ask them all these questions. Yes, from the replies I got concerning the issue, I understand that I will have to look in the private sector by myself. However, do you know if universities usually have a say in how one chooses to spend the scholarship money? More specifically, will I have the freedom to choose a house to rent with my partner and share my part of the costs with the scholarship money?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by monkyvirus
In general, you would just go for a private rental with your partner. Living costs will be based on what they expect a single person to need however it is possible they would want a breakdown of household income if it was a scholarship rather than a studentship. Also if your partner needs to apply for benefits at any point they will want to take your income into account.

Monkeyvirus, thank you very much for the answer, all this information was very interesting and helpful. What exactly do you mean household income and what is the difference in a scholarship and a studentship in this case?
Original post by phdcandidate1
Monkeyvirus, thank you very much for the answer, all this information was very interesting and helpful. What exactly do you mean household income and what is the difference in a scholarship and a studentship in this case?

So while they may give you money based on expected living costs for a single person, a scholarship may want to know your household income which generally means you and your partner's income (i.e. money coming into the house that could support you and possibly other people).

So for me I get £14000 to live off as a stipend but if someone asked my household income it would be £29000 as I would add on my partner's wages. That may not be relevant for you, I just thought it's possible they would want to know on a scholarship application.

I'm not sure about fees I'm afraid. I applied to an advertised position that came with a stipend. I would guess a studentship (which, in my experience, will simply be a stipend and you would not pay fees) won't care about household income as it's like a wage, whereas a scholarship would because they want to award money where it is most needed. So someone with massive savings is unlikely to win a scholarship and similarly if their partner is extrememly well-paid (assuming the award is based on financial need).
Original post by monkyvirus
So while they may give you money based on expected living costs for a single person, a scholarship may want to know your household income which generally means you and your partner's income (i.e. money coming into the house that could support you and possibly other people).

So for me I get £14000 to live off as a stipend but if someone asked my household income it would be £29000 as I would add on my partner's wages. That may not be relevant for you, I just thought it's possible they would want to know on a scholarship application.

I'm not sure about fees I'm afraid. I applied to an advertised position that came with a stipend. I would guess a studentship (which, in my experience, will simply be a stipend and you would not pay fees) won't care about household income as it's like a wage, whereas a scholarship would because they want to award money where it is most needed. So someone with massive savings is unlikely to win a scholarship and similarly if their partner is extrememly well-paid (assuming the award is based on financial need).

Wow,that was a great reply,it truly helped, thank you so much for taking the time to answer..!

Quick Reply

Latest